L'ESPRIT JEAN CLAUDE DUFOUR - Simply Terrific!

was ijean wearing his moderator's hat in the referenced post? i didn't think so, but let's ask him. i thought he was just expressing his opinion, one with which i am in agreement as it happens. and, btw, americans also have this little thing regarding freedom of expression . . .

Nailed it!

Moderators are people too, I think.

And it is good for people to know what the prices are like at all restaurants before they go, otherwise it can be a rather unpleasant and embarrassing situation. I saw a couple be seated at Esprit, look at the menu, and leave. They must have had sticker shock. I like Jean-Claude and his food, and enjoy going in the off-season when he offers a 55 euro three-course meal. I don't think Esprit is any more expensive than Orega, which has also had good reviews here....
!

Also nailed it!

Part of the sticker shock may come at the sparse descriptions vs the price of the dish. In Kara's post she mentioned a salad she ordered described as "vegetables and leaves salad, lemon cream" and it was 32 euro! But then she posted the picture and it looked amazing. And complex. And interesting. I would have never ordered it based on the price and the description in the menu, but would have definitely ordered it if I had seen Kara's photos before we went.

Humm. They showed up on my phone but not my computer.

Ill try again.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I rummaged through the online menu site and grabbed a select few more. Note that one, La Gloriette is for lunch, while the others are for dinner.

b1.jpgb2.jpger1.jpger2.jpggs1.jpggs2.jpgsf2.jpgsf1.jpglr2.jpglr1.jpglg1.jpgt1.jpgt2.jpg

L'Esprit is a down right bargain compared to Eden Rock :)

As an aside - one thing that used to bug me were the price discrepancies between the old Tables guide and the actual menus. These menus are great to have.

so the steak at Esprit is 46 euros. At Eden Rock it's 63. And who's saying Esprit is out if line with its pricing. Great comparison iJEK...

Many of these menus are available online through A la Carte-St Barth and Access St-Barth and are updated as prices and menus change. Also, many of the island restaurants maintain current websites with menus. We found Orega and Tamarin to be very reasonably priced with many entrees in the high 20 euros. We spent no more for dinner at either place than we would eating out at home, including our wine selections.

p.s. Thank you for a gorgeous review of L'Esprit, Kara.

http://www.alacarte-stbarth.com/

http://www.access-stbarth.com/en/restaurants-st-barts

http://www.tamarinstbarth.com/

http://www.oregarestaurant.com/

Time to post this gem again - http://britishexpats.com/forum/rec-...hristmas-naked-french-people-st-barts-417415/

BUDGETING FOR ST. BARTS (by Dave Barry)

You should budget $17,000. I don't mean $17,000 total; I mean $17,000
for each individual item, as follows:

? Travel: $17,000

? Lodging: $17,000

? Lunch for four: $17,000

? Sunscreen: $17,000

And so on. Of course these are just guidelines; all of these prices
have gone up considerably since you started reading this sentence.

And this topical gem:

TIPPING

St. Barts uses the European system of tipping, under which Americans
are expected to tip on behalf of all other nationalities. The
restaurant bill includes an extra 15 percent for something called
''service,'' which is similar to a tip, but not exactly the same. So
you, as an American, are expected to leave something in addition to
the ''service,'' even though it is never clear that anybody else is
doing this. The recommended amount is $17,000.

Keep in mind that for some restaurants the menu remains the same for an entire season or longer. For others, the menu might have changes every few days or every week. Still, even an old menu with prices will help to prevent sticker shock.

In the old days, pre-internet, we might peruse the menu posted outside a restaurant before deciding to eat there. Many restaurants still post a menu outside, which comes in handy for immediate or future dining decisions.

Last night I enjoyed one of the best tasting meals I have ever had on St Barths. It was at Chef Jean Claude's L'Esprit in Saline. The garden setting was lovely. The service was attentive and professional. The presentations were creative and delightful to behold..

If I was a cat, I would begin purring all over again!

We once played around with a expense rating system based on €€€€€€ down to €, but it was never really completed. Wouldn't be too hard to do as an extension to Kevin's list and could be useful to Newbies.

Time to post this gem again - http://britishexpats.com/forum/rec-...hristmas-naked-french-people-st-barts-417415/

BUDGETING FOR ST. BARTS (by Dave Barry)

You should budget $17,000. I don't mean $17,000 total; I mean $17,000
for each individual item, as follows:

? Travel: $17,000

? Lodging: $17,000

? Lunch for four: $17,000

? Sunscreen: $17,000

And so on. Of course these are just guidelines; all of these prices
have gone up considerably since you started reading this sentence.

This is one of the greatest, and most hysterical, things ever written about St Barth. I remember reading it the first time and literally screaming with laughter. I urge everyone to read it, or re-read it, as the case may be. It kind of fits in with the old adage, "bring half the clothes and twice the money".

Phil

Last night I enjoyed one of the best tasting meals I have ever had on St Barths. It was at Chef Jean Claude's L'Esprit in Saline. The garden setting was lovely. The service was attentive and professional. The presentations were creative and delightful to behold..

If I was a cat, I would begin purring all over again!

Sorry...just couldn't help it. :)

why-do-cats-purr-happycat.jpg

Last night I enjoyed one of the best tasting meals I have ever had on St Barths. It was at Chef Jean Claude's L'Esprit in Saline. The garden setting was lovely. The service was attentive and professional. The presentations were creative and delightful to behold.

PHOTOS! COMMENTARY! Is Phil working on the report?