If you like Saint-Barth jewelry, here is some good news!

davesmom

Senior Insider
Bonjour! It is nice to be back, if only online, in my happy place. But you can't keep a girl down for too long so I was clicking around, virtually visiting my favorite spots and went to "visit" Fabienne Miot, home of DD's 50th anniversary present (he chose it himself:giggle:, too!) in January. Fabienne is a REAL local artist, which I do like to support, (don't get me wrong; I'm not throwing Cartier under the bus..) but I have loved Fabienne's work for so long. She also has a few other, more commercial brands that are super attractive, but we are not going there at the moment..

So without any further ado, I would like to announce some very good news for off-islanders: after at least 20 years+, Fabienne Miot has put her jewelry on line with PRICES! So you can start your planning early..holiday time is coming..just sayin'!!

What is the big deal, do you say? (You know who you are..)..well, Fabienne has something in every price range, and lots of variations of the St-Barth map jewelry, that keeps your head in the game every day when you wear it!! Amy has been my inspiration (in many ways!) for so long and her collection does not leave her..mine sleeps in their box at night, but if you are devoted to your favorite place (and I know you are), you can regale yourself by checking out Fabienne's website
https://www.fabiennemiot.com/ and by doing some nice planning for the future! (FULL DISCLOSURE: My every day map necklace comes from Diamond Genesis and I love it so much, but DG does not have any pieces with prices online, so what fun is that?! I think the DG people are missing out, though..things could heat up if they choose to join the party..) So enjoy the local scene for island map jewelry! (I saw some really cute little diamond map earring studs I have my eye on if I get there):love:

BUT, here is the bad news for the USA citizens...if you actually order anything from abroad, the US Customs slaps on some serious tariffs and the brokers/shippers throw their towel in the mix with ridiculous fees at the moment, so if you really do want to order, make sure you get some info ahead of time. My friend's packages from Italy that she shipped (I told her NOT to ship..not my fault) is in Customs hell at the moment, and people don't realize that they might end up spending double. Believe it or not, AI (ugh) can figure out the tariffs and some fees for you ahead of time if you put in all your info, so if you do decided you can't live without, let's say, small diamond map studs, you will get a pretty good idea of what you have to spend. Or, you can just buy a plane ticket for the same price in be in SBH..the prices are probably close!

Enjoy local shopping and don't forget our friend at Brin d'Île, among others...you need a bag and shoes to go with those studs...:D
 
I agree, Fabienne is a wonderful jeweler and actually her parents had the first jewelry store on the island. In the late 80s early 90s her shop was across from where it is now, in what was later Tom Shop - up a few steps on the corner. She made my engagement ring in 1992... and I got a few other things from her back when 18K gold was more affordable (two lovely bracelets, our wedding bands...)
 
Tho I don't know you but for here, welcome back, I've missed your shopping hints & where to's ! and you've come on strong so hope whoever had health issues is back on track.
Have misplaced my little gold map charm of favorite isle somewhere in our home, but mostly wear my Lalique crystal etched charm bought years ago at Galeries Lafayette in Paris.

I recently got a box of wine from a recommended place in Tuscany by my wine guru & the tariffs were included in the price, no hiccups at customs & my 12 bottles arrived intact...but I do know that the price was elevated by including those tariffs in the overall price! and enjoying each sip...
 
Tho I don't know you but for here, welcome back, I've missed your shopping hints & where to's ! and you've come on strong so hope whoever had health issues is back on track.
Have misplaced my little gold map charm of favorite isle somewhere in our home, but mostly wear my Lalique crystal etched charm bought years ago at Galeries Lafayette in Paris.

I recently got a box of wine from a recommended place in Tuscany by my wine guru & the tariffs were included in the price, no hiccups at customs & my 12 bottles arrived intact...but I do know that the price was elevated by including those tariffs in the overall price! and enjoying each sip...
Hi Nancy, that is a very sweet note so thank you! Lalique crystal charms are exquisite as is everything else Lalique makes (nice tables, too!)

I am so glad you got your wine and yes, you are correct: some vendors overseas do send DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) but many do not and they really don't deal with any tariffs/fees once it is out the door, so that would be DDU (Delivered Duty Unpaid.) If you can get someone to send your package DDP, you are really lucky and I think most, if not all of French vendors, send packages DDU. For a long time, the French Poste would not even send any packages to the US. I might have mentioned that a 193 Euro package from my favorite cosmetic people (Pure Altitude from the Villa Marie/Les Fermes de Marie Spa) cost me an additional $70.30...I pretty much freaked out because UPS would not deliver without prepayment; oh well, live and learn. I am hoping that some day, there might be a reduction in all this...🤞
 
I agree, Fabienne is a wonderful jeweler and actually her parents had the first jewelry store on the island. In the late 80s early 90s her shop was across from where it is now, in what was later Tom Shop - up a few steps on the corner. She made my engagement ring in 1992... and I got a few other things from her back when 18K gold was more affordable (two lovely bracelets, our wedding bands...)
Oh, that is so wonderful that you got your wedding rings there! I do love the fact that most things in SBH are 18k and since I can be allergic to 14k (pity for my husband..:giggle:), I really appreciate the fine jewelry there. But the prices have certainly become elevated for a lot of even small pieces, and let's face it, how much stuff can you wear?!! (OK, don't have to answer that one!)

As an aside, there was a very dear and fabulous jeweler whom many of you know: Donna Cohen aka Donna del Sol. She closed her shop in Le Carré d'Or, but it was a really good year when DD purchased a serious necklce that she and I both have. (Maybe it is a good thing that shop is closed because you could do some major damage there..):eek: Such unique and gorgeous things..well, those were the days..or daze...😁
 
We've loved Fabienne and her creations since forever! And yes, we also first met her when her place was up the stairs on the next comer across the street. Some of my wife's favorite pieces are things she's created! And apologies to my son-in-law, because our daughter is also a long-time fan. Here's one of our favorites:
Pendant - Fabienne.jpg
 
My daughter picked out a pair of the island stud earrings on our trip this summer! Here she is at Nikki Beach with them on! She did tell me I can borrow them 🤣
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260718_175605(1)(1).jpg
    IMG_20260718_175605(1)(1).jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 35
Hi Nancy, that is a very sweet note so thank you! Lalique crystal charms are exquisite as is everything else Lalique makes (nice tables, too!)

I am so glad you got your wine and yes, you are correct: some vendors overseas do send DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) but many do not and they really don't deal with any tariffs/fees once it is out the door, so that would be DDU (Delivered Duty Unpaid.) If you can get someone to send your package DDP, you are really lucky and I think most, if not all of French vendors, send packages DDU. For a long time, the French Poste would not even send any packages to the US. I might have mentioned that a 193 Euro package from my favorite cosmetic people (Pure Altitude from the Villa Marie/Les Fermes de Marie Spa) cost me an additional $70.30...I pretty much freaked out because UPS would not deliver without prepayment; oh well, live and learn. I am hoping that some day, there might be a reduction in all this...
I remember the regular height Lalique round table & I think only 3 legs used as display table in the old late 1960's shop on St Croix from the year I lived there & have several purchases from then, including 2 salad plates at $5.00 each ! Now to check today's worth!
 
I remember the regular height Lalique round table & I think only 3 legs used as display table in the old late 1960's shop on St Croix from the year I lived there & have several purchases from then, including 2 salad plates at $5.00 each ! Now to check today's worth!
I think you’re “on the mark,” Nancy . . . values of such items are so ephemeral — having personal meaning & pleasure for those of us who buy / collect / enjoy them. I, for example, have a number of beautiful (IMO) Baccarat barware glasses acquired at Little Switzerland (remember it? . . . next to Le Select where today there is, I think, a Rolex shop). For many years, I would buy one or two when I arrived on SBH — understated luxury in barefoot elegance. For better or worse, the value is / was in personal enjoyment . . . especially in recollections of playing dominoes with friends, using these glasses, on St. Jean beach at a small villa that I rented for years in early visits to the island.
 
My daughter picked out a pair of the island stud earrings on our trip this summer! Here she is at Nikki Beach with them on! She did tell me I can borrow them 🤣
What a beautiful gift and daughter!! She looks adorable and I'd also go straight to Nikki Beach with them!! (That is my Happy Happy Place 😁 )
 
I think you’re “on the mark,” Nancy . . . values of such items are so ephemeral — having personal meaning & pleasure for those of us who buy / collect / enjoy them. I, for example, have a number of beautiful (IMO) Baccarat barware glasses acquired at Little Switzerland (remember it? . . . next to Le Select where today there is, I think, a Rolex shop). For many years, I would buy one or two when I arrived on SBH — understated luxury in barefoot elegance. For better or worse, the value is / was in personal enjoyment . . . especially in recollections of playing dominoes with friends, using these glasses, on St. Jean beach at a small villa that I rented for years in early visits to the island.

Good memory, Dennis. Thanks for sharing.
 
I remember the regular height Lalique round table & I think only 3 legs used as display table in the old late 1960's shop on St Croix from the year I lived there & have several purchases from then, including 2 salad plates at $5.00 each ! Now to check today's worth!
I also fell in love with the Cactus table when I first saw it! It was probably 40 (?) years ago and I remember it was $25,000, which was a lot at that time. No telling what it would cost today but it was stunning! I spent more time in STT back in the day, and it was so much fun to collect beautiful crystal things. Now, Dave doesn't even want more stuff..so I do not know where all the good stuff will end up..:rolleyes:
 
I wear two Fabienne SB maps on silk strings on my wrist all of the time, gold, and gold and pearl (they never come off - except for a massage!). I wear a diamond SB around my neck. I admit I took it off for a while when I was wearing hostage dog tags, etc and couldn't wait to put it back on (for a few reasons!). Otherwise, it doesn't leave my neck.

I wish I could buy myself many more of Fabienne's designs, some of the things I couldn't by have stuck with me, they're all so beautiful. Thanks for the website link, will check it out!
 
I think you’re “on the mark,” Nancy . . . values of such items are so ephemeral — having personal meaning & pleasure for those of us who buy / collect / enjoy them. I, for example, have a number of beautiful (IMO) Baccarat barware glasses acquired at Little Switzerland (remember it? . . . next to Le Select where today there is, I think, a Rolex shop). For many years, I would buy one or two when I arrived on SBH — understated luxury in barefoot elegance. For better or worse, the value is / was in personal enjoyment . . . especially in recollections of playing dominoes with friends, using these glasses, on St. Jean beach at a small villa that I rented for years in early visits to the island.
I think you’re “on the mark,” Nancy . . . values of such items are so ephemeral — having personal meaning & pleasure for those of us who buy / collect / enjoy them. I, for example, have a number of beautiful (IMO) Baccarat barware glasses acquired at Little Switzerland (remember it? . . . next to Le Select where today there is, I think, a Rolex shop). For many years, I would buy one or two when I arrived on SBH — understated luxury in barefoot elegance. For better or worse, the value is / was in personal enjoyment . . . especially in recollections of playing dominoes with friends, using these glasses, on St. Jean beach at a small villa that I rented for years in early visits to the island.
While on STX, I loved Little Switzerland & the Continental, both on STT as well, also on STX, Caron's where my 1st wedding ring came from, supposedly owned by Leslie's parents. My Val St Lambert crystal also bought on STX. Some good memories. Repeating myself, I lived on St Croix for a year, living Don't Stop the Carnival (by Herman Wouk) each day. The King Christian Hotel where I worked was being run by the stockholders of the hotel while without a manager so I know of what I speak! One a chicken farmer in CT part of the Wallace sterling silver family who had no interest, another a stock broker, a glove manufacturer & a Pan Am pilot. Oh what a year!
 
My last trip with my son and daughter in June, they both scored some purchases from Fabienne Miot. Matt for his lovely pearl ear rings for his girlfriend. They both pooled together and purchased a lovely pearl necklace for Anita, their mother. She was thrilled they thought of her so much to spend their hard-earned money on Anita.
 
My last trip with my son and daughter in June, they both scored some purchases from Fabienne Miot. Matt for his lovely pearl ear rings for his girlfriend. They both pooled together and purchased a lovely pearl necklace for Anita, their mother. She was thrilled they thought of her so much to spend their hard-earned money on Anita.
They sound like really good kids. You are blessed and Anita being so wholeheartedly appreciated by them is so special.
 
Top