SwimRun Sunday morning

JEK

Senior Insider
IMG_0294.jpeg

A HUNDRED ATHLETES ATTEMPT SWIMRUN ON SUNDAY​

by AH

22/04/2023

The first stage of the SwimRun 2023 Northern Islands challenge, organized by Saint-Barth Triathlon on Sunday, April 24, will be held over a total distance of 16.85 kilometers. More than thirty teams have registered for the time being, including a team from Guadeloupe and a dozen from Saint-Martin. They must travel in pairs (men, women or mixed) a varied course alternating swimming and running. The entire course must be covered by the two team members with no more than 10 meters of distance. The pairs have an appointment in Saint-Jean, in front of Nikki Beach, at 5 a.m. After checking their equipment, they will be transported to the starting line on the heights of Colombier.
Early riser
The starting pistol shot will be fired at 6 o'clock precisely. From the heights of Colombier, the runners will take the direction of the beach for the first swimming section in the Bay of Colombier, then the pairs will re-sock the sneakers for 4.3 km of running. Direction Flamands, the climb of Merlette, Corossol. At the Corossol pontoon, they will jump into the water for the second swimming section that will take them out at the Public slide. Which will follow up on the third running section between Public and the landing stage in front of the Hôtel de la Collectivité, i.e. 2.5 kilometers. Then arrives the third swimming section, between the Community Esplanade and Shell Beach. Back on earth for the fourth 2.5-kilometer running section. Direction Le Calvaire, Col de la Tourmente, Saint-Jean beach arrival on the airport side for the fourth and last swimming section. Exit from the water in front of Nikki Beach they will make the last kilometers running on a loop in Saint-Jean. The finish will be in front of Nikki Beach. The duos will have covered a distance of 16.85 km, with a positive elevation gain of 305 meters composed of 2.9 km of swimming and 13.95 km of running.
Final of the Challenge
The following Sunday, April 30, the pairs will meet on the neighboring island for the second and last stage of the Challenge. The association Tous à L'ô de Saint-Martin has designed a course with a distance of 14 kilometers (12 kilometers of running and two of swimming) with 350m of positive elevation spread spread over the six portions of which some sections are a little trail interspersed with five swimming sections.
At the finish, a team will be crowned champion of the Northern Islands of SwimRun. "To enter the ranking of the Northern Islands challenge, the teams must be 100% Saint-Barth or 100% Saint-Martin," says Jean-Marc Outil, president of the Saint-Barth triathlon club, and must participate in both stages."
Registrations
You have until tonight, Thursday, April 20, 5 p.m. to register for the Saint-Barth Swimrun on the SBH Triathlon Facebook page. Triathlon license or medical certificate of "no contraindication a? the practice of sport in competition" date? less than a year old? the date of the event and a mandatory 1000m swimming certificate for non-licensees. The registration fee is €70 per team + Pass'compe fees? tition FFTri (unlicensed? s).
The weather
On Sunday, the pairs will have a weak northeast wind and a poorly formed east-south swell. The weather will be overcast and the temperature will be around 26 degrees.

Briefing on Saturday
The organizing association, Saint-Barth Triathlon, gives an appointment to all volunteers (revailleurs, signallers, staff on boats, rescue swimmers, rescuers, timekeepers) participating in this edition at the territorial swimming pool, Saturday, April 22 at 4:30 p.m., for an update on their role during the event. The participants have an appointment at 5:30 p.m. at the Gustaf III Garden near the Weather Station for the preparatory meeting of the race and the delivery of the bib chasubles and sifflets sécu (be careful all teams must be present).

Thank you …I’ve been looking for this detail! Coffee in hand, I’ll cheer as they pass by Petite Anse
early on. I’m told the encouragement is appreciated.

Thank you …I’ve been looking for this detail! Coffee in hand, I’ll cheer as they pass by Petite Anse
early on. I’m told the encouragement is appreciated.
Find out how the get their shoes to each run location! Logistically speaking👟🏊‍♂️👟

They move fast…1st 2 (that I saw anyway) went by at 6:40am and by 7 they were all through. One solo participant…must’ve lost his partner and decided to run the course anyway? Some really really cheerful bonjouring widely and some very very serious.

• Thumb Up
Reactions: JEK
It appears the contestants kept their shoes on throughout the event! Used hand “flippers” for the swim.

IMG_2841.jpeg
IMG_2840.jpeg
IMG_2839.jpeg