FORUM History Introductory Course 101

Kevin---you are spot on. Phil Stripling had the discussion group that preceded sbhonline, not Peter O'Keefe. Peter O'Keefe had a wonderful, informative offering but it was very different. Phil Stripling announced he was going to drop St. Barth from his Caribbean forum because it was taking too much of his time and space. Kara Brooks picked up the baton and launched sbhonline. I was in Phil's early forum and signed on to sbhonline in 2002 just after Andy and Midwest Mike but my moniker was Julia. Somehow, my moniker froze in 2003 and I had to re-register as Julianne. Kudos to Kara and Bob for all they did to nurture and sustain the lively discussion group from its early days. I daresay the forum has been responsible for many visitors to the island since it has been a superb source of timely information!

Lovely note, “Julia” (I remember that time!). Bob & Kara did much in developing Island tourism . . . and stimulating discussion about it. Similarly, Peter & Laurence O’Keefe widely opened eyes to St. Barths with their pioneering website, after Phil introduced St. Barths to public awareness through his newsletter. They were halcyon days.

Just great. And long may this forum prosper. Unbelievable island and mainland friendships have resulted from this forum for us. Thank you all.

Phil Stripling's site was The Civilized Explorer. You can find mentions of it in the archives. And my original moniker was "Julie" (not Julia--senior memory!)---I looked back to see if I was still buried in the archives and Yep, I am there. Fun to look back and see many familiar names of early sbhonline posters in addition to Andy and Midwest Mike---Gayle, Cheri, Island Visitor, MikeR, Peter NJ, etc., etc. Many terrific supporters of the island and this forum. A forum can't sustain itself unless people are engaged and participating. sbhonline has been fortunate to have new people come on even as some of the "originals" peeled off. Thanks to WIMCO for taking over and giving the site a firm foundation.

A long time archivist of SBH trivia wrote to remind me of the following lovely tribute by Phil Stripling when friends & I published “Case et Cuisine:” http://www.cieux.com/rvw/stBCuisine.html

Thank you, John (& Phil!). The memories of that happy time remain fresh & relevant . . . especially as the island changes.

A long time archivist of SBH trivia wrote to remind me of the following lovely tribute by Phil Stripling when friends & I published “Case et Cuisine:” http://www.cieux.com/rvw/stBCuisine.html

Thank you, John (& Phil!). The memories of that happy time remain fresh & relevant . . . especially as the island changes.
Yeah well ...........I still use some recipes from Paradise Found- one tonight actually.

Not sure what you mean by "Yeah well," Andy. I also have favorites among the recipes that were included in "Paradise Found." Enjoy your dinner tonight.

Not sure what you mean by "Yeah well," Andy. I also have favorites among the recipes that were included in "Paradise Found." Enjoy your dinner tonight.
Just trying to think back at the rivalries between the sites. You were in the other camp as I recall. At the time I thought that review was a not so subtle dig at Kara’s book that came out in 2003 not that yours isn’t good too- I don’t have it so I don’t know.

fe92ccd3-4313-45c6-84aa-0b26bca5a4fd

Attachments

• 8AD8C685-8F00-4D7C-9136-7B9809249D1E.png
    8AD8C685-8F00-4D7C-9136-7B9809249D1E.png
    3 MB · Views: 792
There was also a site called Talk St. Barts, or St. Barts Talk. Something like that. It was pretty active in 2009 when I join this site. Here's all that's left of it now http://www.stbartstalk.com/forum/topic5096.html

Leaving one to wonder how different things might be if Tim's suggestion (2016) made in discussing Premium IV Jim's attempt to relaunch that site had been followed:

Hopper, I think you would be perfect as moderator of that site and encourage you to volunteer. Your enthusiasm and dedication to promote St. Barth are unequalled on SBH online... Jim would be fortunate to have you.

Just trying to think back at the rivalries between the sites. You were in the other camp as I recall. At the time I thought that review was a not so subtle dig at Kara’s book that came out in 2003 not that yours isn’t good too- I don’t have it so I don’t know.

I was “in the other camp” because I enjoyed participating in SBH discussion, but was banned at the time from this site! As collateral damage in a dispute between 3rd parties . . . not for reasons related to anything I did or said. All part of Forum history.

And, as far as Phil’s review being a “dig” at Kara’s book . . . not possible. Phil wrote it on the basis of seeing Case et Cuisine in pre-release marketing, prior to publication of “Paradise Found.” None of us knew at the time what, exactly, Paradise Found would be like or when it would be published. (I say “exactly” because while hanging-out one morning with the owner of La Gloriette, Kara & Bob came to the restaurant to meet & talk with him. We were introduced, & they very briefly explained a concept of their book, which — to my knowledge — didn’t yet have a title.)

I’m glad to say that Kara, Bob, & I developed a friendly acquaintance, particularly at a time when Bob & I had the shared experience of a serious health issue. Kara, as a talented & creative chef, gave me the benefit of some nutritional discoveries that were valuable in Bob’s recovery.

I was “in the other camp” because I enjoyed participating in SBH discussion, but was banned at the time from this site! As collateral damage in a dispute between 3rd parties . . . not for reasons related to anything I did or said. All part of Forum history.

And, as far as Phil’s review being a “dig” at Kara’s book . . . not possible. Phil wrote it on the basis of seeing Case et Cuisine in pre-release marketing, prior to publication of “Paradise Found.” None of us knew at the time what, exactly, Paradise Found would be like or when it would be published. (I say “exactly” because while hanging-out one morning with the owner of La Gloriette, Kara & Bob came to the restaurant to meet & talk with him. We were introduced, & they very briefly explained a concept of their book, which — to my knowledge — didn’t yet have a title.)

i don’t know Dennis. Paradise Found was published on 1/1/2003. Your review was after that.

D8547527-1857-4C6C-9E44-27DD28628493.png

And, as far as Phil’s review being a “dig” at Kara’s book . . . not possible. Phil wrote it on the basis of seeing Case et Cuisine in pre-release marketing, prior to publication of “Paradise Found.” None of us knew at the time what, exactly, Paradise Found would be like or when it would be published. .

Why can’t this be accurate and true regardless of the release date of Paradise Found?

i don’t know Dennis. Paradise Found was published on 1/1/2003. Your review was after that.

View attachment 48331

Andy . . . if you really care about it, I suggest that you get in touch with Kara & ask her. My very clear recollection is that Case et Cuisine hit the market on SBH mid-October 2003. Paradise Found was a few weeks later. The “Publication Date” in the page that you’ve posted does not accurately reflect the date that it became publicly available. Kara, Bob, & I were in touch at the time . . . bemoaning printing delays (“CEC” was printed in Hong Kong, I think that “PF” was done in Canada) & Customs issues in the initial shipments to SBH.

Dennis. I really don’t care. It was fun jogging my recollection that’s all. Have a good get together. Over and out.