Escalating cost of staying

bkeats

Senior Insider
This obviously isn’t news but I am a bit surprised by how much costs have gone up over the last year. The current annual CPI is around 3%. My observation is that inflation in villa and airfare costs is quite a bit more. I just booked our next two weeks and I had to get the fire extinguisher out and have it ready when I paid for everything. I was afraid my card was going to catch on fire or at least melt.

Get there soon! It’s not getting any better. On the other hand, Wimco has a special deal right now:
WE ARE WAIVING THE SERVICE FEE.
Book and confirm your vacation in St. Barth from April 15 - 19, 2024 for dates of stay between now and December 20, 2024 and we will waive the 11% service fee on your booking.

Get there soon! It’s not getting any better. On the other hand, Wimco has a special deal right now:
WE ARE WAIVING THE SERVICE FEE.
Book and confirm your vacation in St. Barth from April 15 - 19, 2024 for dates of stay between now and December 20, 2024 and we will waive the 11% service fee on your booking.
Very interesting Dennis. I think it's a clear sign that at least WIMCO has recognized that villa prices have gone a bit over the top. On an Island where the only industry is tourism, this can be deadly.

Phil

Yes, costs are up for everything which is a bit disappointing. There are very few cost efficient villas left out there (CEC being one of them). I just checked a villa we rented 10 years ago is now renting for 3x the price today vs 10 years ago.... and relatively speaking, the villa is still on the less expensive end of the spectrum.

Personally, we loved the island, but we have moved on. We considered coming back this coming January, but with the increase in travel costs, increase in villa costs, increase in dining costs and the general hassle in getting there (SXM being the most cost efficient route...... but after 7 years post Irma is still not 100%) we elected for another destination... which is more our "people" anyway. We may be back... but it won't be for a while.

On the bright side of things, maybe all these increased costs will lead to less traffic on the streets (probably will not happen that way... but one can dream).

Very interesting Dennis. I think it's a clear sign that at least WIMCO has recognized that villa prices have gone a bit over the top. On an Island where the only industry is tourism, this can be deadly.

Phil
Agree, Phil . . . and Summer through pre-Festive season must be unusually slow in bookings.

the general hassle in getting there (SXM being the most cost efficient route...... but after 7 years post Irma is still not 100%)
Actually it’s almost as good as it ever was with a new intransit gate. If you have carry on only and a boarding pass you can breeze right through. If you’re flying SBC they will get your checked bags but it doesn’t appear that Winair is doing this. Several shops, restaurants and a bar are now open as well.

we elected for another destination... which is more our "people" anyway. We may be back... but it won't be for a while.
Curious where you’ll be going if you want to share.

Curious where you’ll be going if you want to share.
Not really anything "special" as we are more "average" people. We have settled on St John for now. From what we have observed, St Barts and St John each have their +/-.... in the end, since we are traveling with our 10yo daugther we think that St John is a better all around fit for us.

Ooh, a a frequent vistor dating back to 1983 I so get it. Every year I go through this tussle womdering if it's worth it!? Call me a hopeless romantic. Life is short that's all I have to say!

Cheers,

are more "average" people

This is a fascinating concept for me as I empathize with it. I like to think I am just a typical guy. That I am surrounded by people like me. I don't think of my circumstances as being anything out of the ordinary. Families we know do the same things we do. But I know objectively, my life is very different from how my parents grew up and frankly where I am at now is not close to how I grew up. In my youth vacations were rare. As a 10 year old I never traveled overseas for vacations. More often than not we drove some place that was within a day's drive and used the family camp trailer for accommodation. The average median household income in the US is around $75,000 a year. At that income, you're not traveling to any Caribbean island on any kind of regular basis. It unlikely that anyone who frequents this forum is average. Like Lake Wobegone, St Barts is where "all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and the children are all above average." ;)

I very much appreciate that I am able to visit SBH and complain about it.

The irony to me about steelpe's new preferred destination is that I stopped going to St John years ago because I felt that it had gotten overbuilt and too expensive. The first Caribbean destination I ever made repeat trips to was St John. Back then a bottle of Cruzan rum cost less than a bottle of water. Save water, stay drunk was my motto. I began looking elsewhere when you had to get to a beach early because all the parking spots were gone by 9.

This is a fascinating concept for me as I empathize with it. I like to think I am just a typical guy. That I am surrounded by people like me. I don't think of my circumstances as being anything out of the ordinary. Families we know do the same things we do. But I know objectively, my life is very different from how my parents grew up and frankly where I am at now is not close to how I grew up. In my youth vacations were rare. As a 10 year old I never traveled overseas for vacations. More often than not we drove some place that was within a day's drive and used the family camp trailer for accommodation. The average median household income in the US is around $75,000 a year. At that income, you're not traveling to any Caribbean island on any kind of regular basis. It unlikely that anyone who frequents this forum is average. Like Lake Wobegone, St Barts is where "all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and the children are all above average." ;)

The irony to me about steelpe's new preferred destination is that I stopped going to St John years ago because I felt that it had gotten overbuilt and too expensive. The first Caribbean destination I ever made repeat trips to was St John. Back then a bottle of Cruzan rum cost less than a bottle of water. Save water, stay drunk was my motto. I began looking elsewhere when you had to get to a beach early because all the parking spots were gone by 9.
Marvelous expression of perspective . . . one with which I can identify. Maybe a generational thing. In any event, thanks for sharing . . . the Lake Wobegone tag line is particularly apt.

St. John was beautiful in 1979 and not commercial at all but I imagine it is still a beautiful place to vacation! All about the water and snorkeling. In 1979 it was a very quiet place and you could take a day sail from STT, too! Hope you can come back to SBH, whose prices are, like everywhere nowadays, insane. My childhood did not resemble anything like today, either, so that is why we can appreciate every day we get to come to the Caribbean, even with all the changes.🙏

My comments about not returning was a matter of my families current preference. Others may feel differently. Personally, I think there is more "value" in traveling to a different destination. I'm sure that preference will change with time.

To expand on the our "people" comment. It is not a dig at anyone on this forum at all (who I imagine are all down to earth people). The "people" I am referring to probably don't visit this forum.
-On our last trip to SBH, while on Shell Beach, I saw a worker from ER on his hands and knees cleaning the sand off of someone's feet (a client). ER had set up a beach picnic for a client.
-Then there was the family at Colombier with all their "yacht toys" spread out all along the beach from the yacht Slipstream.
-Or the gentleman one night at Tamarin who was extremely upset about Elizabeth Warren's tax plan during her 2016 presidential run (after he found out we were from MA). I had to Google her plan which ended up having a proposed tax on wealth in excess of $250M.
-Not to mention all the times I had to avoid photobombing some Instagramer's photo.
These are the stories I tend to tell people when they ask about the island. These people didn't really bother me much, but they are certainly not people I would choose to hang out with.

Just our opinion and I wasn't meaning to offend anyone.

I wasn't meaning to offend anyone
Absolutely no offense taken either.

I was just making an observation about how we all take whatever situation we may be in and make it normative. When I was in grad school, I literally saved all my loose change in a bottle and periodically I would go through it and when I got to $20 or so I would treat myself by going out to get something to eat. Otherwise I didn’t go out.

I first went to St John when I was in grad school. I stayed at a place that no longer exists, Maho Bay Camp. There were these little tents with cots set on wooden platforms in the trees above the beach. The bathrooms were communal. Meals were served in an outdoor area. It was charming and cheap. What I could afford at the time. I loved the place. The beaches were empty. Restaurants never needed reservations. I recall one restaurant that didn’t even have doors on the stalls in what was a unisex restroom. As I started working and had more money I began to stay in nicer places culminating at Caneel Bay. For me, the island started loosing it charms as more and more condos and homes began being built on the limited land outside of the park and the traffic and crowds grew. Sound familiar?

We all have different preferences and that’s why there are so many destinations to try out. There is not a single right place. Only a place that’s right for you. So far, St Barts feels right still. May not feel so right once I get the bill for recent charges.

Last edited:
1968 honeymoon on St John at a cottage few choices for dinners with husband 1 not having the proper attire for Caneel Bay so our dinners out were at Mrs. Meada's Guest house for $5 per person...Campbell's tomato soup, whatever fish her son caught that day & white bread like Bond or Wonderbread...squishy white, dessert ? And the lights on St John went out every nite...

1968 honeymoon on St John at a cottage few choices for dinners with husband 1 not having the proper attire for Caneel Bay so our dinners out were at Mrs. Meada's Guest house for $5 per person...Campbell's tomato soup, whatever fish her son caught that day & white bread like Bond or Wonderbread...squishy white, dessert ? And the lights on St John went out every nite...
AHHH, ST BARTHS!

I am afraid many visitors are arriving at your same conclusion, Steelpe
Denise and I are coming one last time; end of April into May. Staying at CEC which is affordable and has a large pool. It is also across the street from Marigot Bay, We have stayed there a few times and I hope there is a full moon while we are there. I have floated under the full moon a few times.

Denise and I are coming one last time; end of April into May. Staying at CEC which is affordable and has a large pool. It is also across the street from Marigot Bay, We have stayed there a few times and I hope there is a full moon while we are there. I have floated under the full moon a few times.
You’re in luck, Kent!

“The fourth full moon of 2024, nicknamed the Pink Moon, will rise into spring skies this week, appearing bright and full from Monday to Wednesday (April 22-24).

The moon will be at its fullest Tuesday (April 23) and will shine in the constellation Virgo, close to Spica, one of the 20 brightest stars in the night sky. The moon will also appear bright and full Monday and Wednesday. This coincides with the peak of the Lyrid meteor shower, and may somewhat outshine the annual display of shooting stars; the best time to catch the shower will be on April 22 when the moon is at its lowest, just before dawn.”

You’re in luck, Kent!

“The fourth full moon of 2024, nicknamed the Pink Moon, will rise into spring skies this week, appearing bright and full from Monday to Wednesday (April 22-24).

The moon will be at its fullest Tuesday (April 23) and will shine in the constellation Virgo, close to Spica, one of the 20 brightest stars in the night sky. The moon will also appear bright and full Monday and Wednesday. This coincides with the peak of the Lyrid meteor shower, and may somewhat outshine the annual display of shooting stars; the best time to catch the shower will be on April 22 when the moon is at its lowest, just before dawn.”
I get one last time to stay at CEC and swim in Marigot Bay under the full moon. Hopefully someday we get to meet Dennis. Come see us on Cape Cod.