Bonito

We have enjoyed Bonito through the years, but this is a real bummer. Coming to the island to chill and facing this kind of pressure seems antithetical. We send Mahé a DM on Instagram and then wander into Eddy's at the appointed time. No credit cards required.

Not to sound as if I am in favor of these policies because I am not and while I absolutely find the amount of the fee exorbitant and hate when restaurants do this, if that is the policy and the policy is clearly communicated when they take your reservation I'm not really sure of the issue to be honest. For me, I often just won't book at a resto in advance if that is their policy. So I have passed on Bonito, Le Sereno, Orega and some others when they stated the policy at times, but have also have booked these restos on other occasions knowing the policy. I don't understand what a credit card company will or should do for you when you agree to the policy when you book. I would think throwing yourself on the mercy of the restaurant and maybe bargaining to go a different night may be the best option but not sure that is likely to work. If enough people refuse to book in the first place because of these policies, that would be the only way to get them to change them

Not to sound as if I am in favor of these policies because I am not and while I absolutely find the amount of the fee exorbitant and hate when restaurants do this, if that is the policy and the policy is clearly communicated when they take your reservation I'm not really sure of the issue to be honest. For me, I often just won't book at a resto in advance if that is their policy. . . .

I tend to agree with you, Jim. I’ve witnessed numerous times when good friends / restaurant proprietors & hosts have had “no shows” & very last minute cancellations for groups, small & large, on evenings when they’ve turned away others because the tables were totally booked. One question I have is whether the relevant restaurants invoke the credit card confirmation requirement year round?

I am with Jim, too many restaurants to choose from to be placed in a stressful situation. Sickness, plane delays, etc. are not your typical 'No Show'. Yes, it is disrespectful to multiple book restaurants awaiting a group decision where to go; I can not fathom such a though. Yes, it is wrong not to keep your reservation. I agree, that if the policy is well informed at booking time and you cancel outside the rules, tough on you! Why would the credit card company be expected to come to your rescue?

During our November trip we needed to provide credit cards for reservations at Orega, Bonito, Eden Rock and Kinugawa. We've also had to provide a credit card to dine at Le Toiny on prior trips since we were a party of five.

We just returned and went to Bonito last Wednesday. We got in our car and it would not start so we called Odile at Gumbs, who promised to bring us a new car ASAP (she always has great service!). My next call was to Bonito and I explained the situation, including not knowing exactly when we would be able to get there. She was very gracious and thanked me for calling and assured me that our table would be waiting. When we arrived, about 30-40 minutes late, the hostess again thanked me for calling and showed us to our fabulous table. We had a great meal with great service (and excitement from a fire down the hill!), so they couldn't have handled it any better. But we did talk directly to the staff at Bonito's.

Still waiting to hear from JoR on the name of the Resto where everyone became ill. Coming down on 4/20 for 10 days with some reservations made already and would be very grateful for an answer on that question.

I wonder if the 600 Euro's was worth all the negative posts on this thread?

I think they are inured to bad social media coverage
This from TA
2C7745B4-10D1-465D-A76C-CC023AB5F424.jpeg

My sister is home now and working directly with Bonito, not through the concierge for the villa rental as she was while here. If it turns out there was an issue involving the concierge’s role in this, I’ll report (and we can start another thread about the agency they’ve worked with forever:)).

She’s been coming here for 35 years and would never stiff a restaurant here (or anywhere). She’s introduced 4 siblings to Bonito and many other fine restaurant experiences over the years. I haven’t been a fan for a while, but they’ve liked it a lot. Until now. Pretty shocked and disillusioned. None of us has ever been treated like this on the island.

I’ve written to the restaurant they believe led to their illness. I don’t think it’s right to throw it under the bus on the maybe maybe chance something else was the cause. Whether or not I get a response, it seemed important to give staff there a heads up about the issue so they might do a thorough internal review. It’ll likely be the safest, healthiest place for a dinner for a while. It wasn’t Fouquet.

Thanks for your update, JoR. Keep us posted on how your sister makes out Bonito. I hope they make things right.

Was only there twice…first time was just ok and second time no better!
Will certainly shy away from it now…$600 for a no show! Gimme a break!

What should the penalty be if you own a restaurant which loses nearly a thousand dollars to a group of vacationers who chose another restaurant because they couldn't get into yours ?