About Heated Pools...

Jim Kelly-Evans

Senior Insider
In retrospect I must say that having a heated pool at your villa really is fabulous. During the pandemic pause our villa owner installed a heater in our view pool. I had a hard time convincing myself to climb out of the pool to go to dinner.

P1240759.jpg

If you’re going to wear a hat, wear it well. In a pool with a martini counts as well in my book.

The problem about a heated pool is that the island cannot generate enough electricity for its needs....

Super photo! Très chic! But to Ellen’s point, it is very expensive to heat a pool, even here where it is pretty warm most of the time. We never bother to heat ours but only our former dogs would go in and they were labs..they loved the cold water:laughing-cry: Propane to heat a pool sounds totally impractical as it would run out very quickly. I must say, I would not want to get out, either..such a pleasure :blush-smile: I wonder if they have those black pool blankets there to help conserve the heat?

I've been to St Barts 1/21, 7/21 and 2/22. Every single pool has been like jumping in Lake Michigan in December. In July it's not much warmer than January. It's the craziest thing i have seen. How do these pools get sold cold in the middle of the Caribbean ?! The Villa i just stayed at a few days ago, i was able to get into one time and even then it was 2 total minutes.

I've been to St Barts 1/21, 7/21 and 2/22. Every single pool has been like jumping in Lake Michigan in December. In July it's not much warmer than January. It's the craziest thing i have seen. How do these pools get sold cold in the middle of the Caribbean ?! The Villa i just stayed at a few days ago, i was able to get into one time and even then it was 2 total minutes.
Even here in Austin, our pool stays cool almost the entire summer.

We use the heater (NG) except for maybe August/September. We spent a few evenings in it this weekend after cranking it up to 100.

It's a small pool, about 8500 gallons.

Pool faces south, no shade. We can't figure out why...pool tile color?

Is natural gas available on the island? Are there buried propane tanks?

No natural gas. No buried propane tanks. If you want gas for cooking you get a tank (there seem to be two sizes, smaller and larger) at one of the two places on the island that refills them and pray it doesn't give out in the middle of cooking for a dinner party. Some people have two and can switch to the full one then replace the empty one. A friend has just gotten a propane powered clothes dryer but we don't know how often the tank will need to be replaced ...

Can't imagine how much propane would be used. Our pool takes about 8 hours to heat up and the last time we did it, over ten years ago, cost almost $100. Granted it started out colder (maybe 60 degrees) and is bigger (25,000 gal) than any of the pools in the villas we've rented.

We had been looking into heating the pool at our villa, and solar seemed to be a favorable option. We would be able to put the panel(s) in a discreet location that is not on our roof as from what I understand there are no solar panels allowed on rooftops.

Interesting thread. All I know is that our Villa’s pool is heated. Jumping in the morning a great way to wake up. A jump in after dinner….life is good. Standing in the pool during a rain storm is simply amazing.

Interesting thread. All I know is that our Villa’s pool is heated. Jumping in the morning a great way to wake up. A jump in after dinner….life is good. Standing in the pool during a rain storm is simply amazing.

One of life's guilty pleasures, of which there are many here on the island. I have to try the rainstorm dip!

interesting article. can they use seawater for the electrolysis ? such a facility appears to require sizable footprint. where might it go? what is the € per kw compared to current sources ? will edf fund the initial investment costs?

We had been looking into heating the pool at our villa, and solar seemed to be a favorable option. We would be able to put the panel(s) in a discreet location that is not on our roof as from what I understand there are no solar panels allowed on rooftops.
My parents use solar to heat their pool in FL and it works so well that at times they have to turn it off. If you have a spot for the panels (theirs are on the back roof of the house) it works great.