a truly amazing photograph...

MIke R

Senior Insider
an even more amazing story behind it

The picture is that of a 21-week-old unborn baby named Samuel Alexander Armas, who is being operated on by surgeon named Joseph Bruner. The baby was diagnosed with spina bifida and would not survive if removed from his mother's womb. Little Samuel's mother, Julie Armas, is an obstetrics nurse in Atlanta. She knew of Dr. Bruner's remarkable surgical procedure. Practicing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, he performs these special operations while the baby is still in the womb.

During the procedure, the doctor removes the uterus via C-section and makes a small incision to operate on the baby. As Dr. Bruner completed the surgery on Samuel, the little guy reached his tiny, but fully developed hand through the incision and firmly grasped the surgeon's finger. Dr. Bruner was reported as saying that when his finger was grasped, it was the most emotional moment of his life, and that for an instant during the procedure he was just frozen, totally immobile.

The photograph captures this amazing event with perfect clarity. The editors titled the picture, "Hand of Hope." The text explaining the picture begins, "The tiny hand of 21-week-old fetus Samuel Alexander Armas emerges from the mother's uterus to grasp the finger of Dr. Joseph Bruner as if thanking the doctor for the gift of life."

Little Samuel's mother said they "wept for days" when they saw the picture. She said, "The photo reminds us pregnancy isn't about disability or an illness, it's about a little person" Samuel was born in perfect health, the operation 100 percent successful.

Attachments

• ababy.jpg
    ababy.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 44
yeah its still a great story about a remarkable operation...too bad someone had to exaggerate what the hand was doing

I think most of you miss the point. This is a 21 week old baby with perfectly formed little hands, able to withstand an operation to save his life, viable as a little person. That's 21 weeks. How many have been aborted with the premise that it's just a fetus, after 24-30 weeks, with the primary justification that it's just a fetus without a life outside his mother's womb and that it's a woman's right to choose?

Look, I'm not a hard liner when it comes to abortion rights but, it's clear that we as a society need to reexamine what is life and what is acceptable when it comes to the unborn.

When my wife was pregnant with our second son Patrick, she was 40 years old and there were a lot of tests and a lot of speculation as to whether we should end the pregnancy and so on.

The tests came out good and we would have never considered ending the pregnancy regardless of the apparent risks. I can tell you that our son Patrick, in spite of his problems with ADHD, is the most gorgeous, intelligent, loving son anyone could ever have.

That's my 2 cents.

kind regards
Georgedp

I don't think I missed the point one bit....the point to me was an extremely talented surgeon conducted an extremely difficult procedure to save a life...and how cool is that???.....end of story

there are no politics here whatsoever......

Miker

Don't recall singling you out for missing the point.

I'm just trying to state that there are other issues besides the fact that it was a great operation and so on. The issue I'm trying to point to goes beyond the great operation and the possible moral issues that should not be overlooked. That's all.

kind regards
George

yes I get that.... and my point is and always will be that abortion, like birth control, child rearing, etc are personal matters which the government and the church have no business sticking their noses into....it doesn't concern them

Don't recall suggesting that the government or any church or religion had a right to stick their noses in this issue. I think I was pretty specific in saying that as a society we need to reexamine the issue and ascertain what is moral and what is not, regardless of religious beliefs or political affiliation.

But, if you think about it, the government has plenty to say and dictate about child rearing.

For example, in our town, if your kids miss school more than 5 consecutive days without an excuse that they consider acceptable, they call the truant officer on you and you're in big trouble.

Hey, Miker, I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you, and I suspect that you and I are more in agreement than not. Just trying to point out the simple fact that this great story, with this incredible operation, is not the only story.

kind regards
Georgedp

georgedp said:
as a society we need to reexamine the issue and ascertain what is moral and what is not, regardless of religious beliefs or political affiliation.

Agree and would include as part of this issue the death penalty and universal health care.

georgedp said:
I think most of you miss the point. This is a 21 week old baby with perfectly formed little hands, able to withstand an operation to save his life, viable as
Georgedp

Geroge,

Did I miss the point?

[/quote]

Agree and would include as part of this issue the death penalty and universal health care.

[/quote]

marybeth

Yes, let's include the death penalty and universal health care in this discussion. But, if you are suggesting that there is a valid comparison between terminating the life of a convicted murderer with many years of appeals and judicial review of his/her sentence and the termination of life of an innocent life that is viable outside of his/her mother's womb and has no one to defend him/her, don't go there. Nothing to compare.

With regards to universal health care, I think you need to define what is an acceptable level of health care for all.

Is it the Canadian version, whereby a good friend and colleague from Canada had to travel 800 miles from his hometown in the province of Saskatchewan to a city in the province of Alberta for an MRI which he had to pay out of pocket because the wait in his hometown for an MRI was nine months?

Or, should we examine the universal health care in a country like Cuba, where tourists with hard currency and the elite of the Communist party receive first class health care and the rest of the citizenry get this?

http://therealcuba.com/Page10.htm

have a great weekend
georgedp

Hi George,
I believe that all life should be honored equally and it is not your responsibility or jurisdiction to value one as greater than another. If a defective embryo is worth saving, then why not a defective soul?
With regard to health care, if there is a medical procedure that can save someone, who should determine who is and who is not a worthy benefactor of said medical treatment? Only the wealthy have embryos worth saving? Or those with a great health care plan? I would say our system is apparently no better than Cuba's.
If life is sacred that means all life...WWJD?

marybeth said:
georgedp said:
as a society we need to reexamine the issue and ascertain what is moral and what is not, regardless of religious beliefs or political affiliation.

Heck, toss in manmade global warming and gun rights, and we'll be here for months!