Where else do you go?

22 for me also.
I honeymooned on St John in Oct 1968 for a few days, flying from St Croix where we were married & living at the time, to St Thomas on the 'goose' then the ferry. Best man forgot to pack jacket & tie so no Caneel Bay for us, but Mrs. Meads at $5 a dinner was what we found. No other restaurants. Sign in front of police station...found...pig..., small grocery store, power went out each nite. Primitive but fun.

We just got back from a week in Old San Juan, we have been there maybe a dozen times. Possibly one of our best vacations ever! We have tried to figure out what made it so much fun and have had trouble determining exactly what made it so special. We stayed at El Convento in the heart of Old San Juan
IMG_5801.jpeg
IMG_1485.jpeg
33ECB76A-AB6B-4275-AB85-A4958B944300.jpeg
948AF1C7-5723-4FBB-B339-07B757C50A99.jpeg
IMG_2637.jpeg
IMG_2636.jpeg
. Didn’t rent a car, walked everywhere. In retrospect not having the hassle of driving/parking and worrying about possibly having one cocktail to many May have been it. Then again, the 500 plus year history of Old San Juan, the architecture, the cobblestone streets, the forts, the very friendly people could have been it. But then there’s the restaurants, The Cannon Club, La Verguenza, Barrachina, Muelle13, Cantina, Marilyn’s, Mallorca(breakfast), Princesa to name a few fun and fabulous dining spots, all within walking distance of our hotel. And then lastly, although Puerto Rico is a US territory, no passport required, it’s relatively foreign, Spanish is the primary language, occasionally we had had language issues, nothing serious but enough for us to know that we were on vacation and we enjoyed that. We heard a lot of people saying that this reminded them of Italy! And we were able to see a rather lavish wedding….

Attachments

• IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Love Ireland! Hope that it was a wonderful visit!
Noel Lynch who was the best employee that ever worked with me on Nantucket took us all over Tralee and County Kerry. Last time we were there was when he married his wonderful wife Noreen. She underwent surgery the next day and was told she wouldn't be able to have children. She prayed every day that she would and they now have a 13 year old daughter. She sees it as a miracle and we agree.

Totally get the island hopping vibe. Aruba sounds awesome, especially with those hurricane-free perks. I'm a fan of Old San Juan too – that historic vibe and the ease of getting there make it a regular spot for me.

We also enjoyed Vis in Croatia! In the Caribbean, have stayed on Grenada, Nevis, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Anguilla (a few times), Tortola, St. Vincent, Bequia. We really liked Anguilla and Bequia, but there is no place like SBH!

Vis in Croatia sounds amazing! I've explored some Caribbean islands too, like Grenada and St. Lucia. Always had a great time. Planning to visit Croatia soon and thinking about renting a private apartment. Any recommendations?

Last edited: