Scuba SBH 2024 No. 1: The Kayali

Jim Kelly-Evans

Senior Insider
From yacht.vacations.com: "...still close to the coastline lies the Kayali, a large fishing trawler that sank into 100 feet of water. Serious wreck divers (who are certified as Advanced or higher), should definitely check out this fully penetrable wreck that is home to sea turtles and large spotted eagle rays."

I have wanted to visit this wreck for over a decade. Now that I have Advanced certification I was able to join Serial Divers on a visit to this interesting wreck. As noted above, the wreck is deep, lying heavily to one side at 100 feet down, but it is intact. The wreck does not host as many small fish as the nearby shallower, healthy reefs, but it does not lack for interest, to be sure. We did penetrate the wreck at one point swimming through a dark passageway and emerging topside many yards later. This maneuver gave me pause before entering! Visibility was good and the 78 degree water was comfortable with just a shorty wetsuit. My total dive time was 27 minutes at a maximum depth of 95 feet. A slow ascent and a full three minute safety stop at 15 ft. were employed to prevent any ill effects from depth. Wildlife photos photographed on or near the wreck are in the second post.
P1250867.JPG
P1250873.JPG
P1250874.JPG
P1250874.JPG
P1250876.JPG
P1250879.JPG
P1250880.JPG
P1250883.JPG
P1250888.JPG
P1250865.JPG

Last edited:
Wow! I was already freaking out about the depth of the dive and then you went IN the wreck. Yikes, I could never do that.
Thanks for sharing pics of things most of us would never see otherwise.

Wow! I was already freaking out about the depth of the dive and then you went IN the wreck. Yikes, I could never do that.
Thanks for sharing pics of things most of us would never see otherwise.
I'm with you Marybeth . . . reading about going into a tunnel in the wreck gave me immediate shortness of breath!