Philadelphia restaurant recommendations Center City preferred

NancySC

Senior Insider
Looking for recommendations for dinner for 2 early April from those who live near by or not, for my Plus One niece & me for our 1 free night in the city before attending a private concert at the Miller Theater Wednesday night for our long postponed from Tuscany 2022 trip makeup date. Have found a few that would interest us, but they are not open on a Tuesday night. Italian, French, I am not a sushi person tho she is, so Buddakhan & Morimoto not on my list! S. Phila would be ok too. Thanks in advance.

Here are a few venues we like: 1) Spasso Italian Grill, 34 South Front St - Homemade pastas & other Italian comfort foods offered in a rustic setting. 2) Panorama Restaurant, 14 North Front ST. - Old City staple for Northern Italian cuisine & by-the-glass wine in the Penn’s View Hotel. 3. Mercato Restaurant 1216 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19107 - Italian BYO spot known for inventive cooking that keeps the compact quarters bustling. 4) Parc - 227 S 18th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103 - Traditional bistro fare is served in a bustling setting that reminds of belle epoque Paris.

Welcome to Philadelphia, Nancy! Hope this helps!

Jim

In addition to the above I’ll add the following:
My wife used to work at Friday, Saturday,Sunday voted the best restaurant in Philly.
Zahav- if you can get a reservation.
Fork and its sibling High Street
Samson Street Oyster House
Vernick.
Have a good time.

Thanks for the plethora of recommendations ! My first choice before reaching out on the forum was Friday Saturday Sunday until I read that it isn't open on a Tuesday nite...I used to live in that neighborhood in the early 70's, an old brownstone at 21st & Walnut across from the state store.

I loved the caveat on the Little Fish website..'we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.'

Will let you know what we chose when I get back from being 'down the shore.'

When we were doing the college drop off and pick up trips with the occasional weekend to see the offspring, two of our favorites were Parc and Devon Seafood Grill. If you are familiar with NYC restaurants, Parc is trying to be a version of Balthazar. Depending on your perspective that may be a good or bad thing.

I left Vetri off because reservations are hard to get and I didn’t think Nancy wanted to spend $165 or $215 for prix fixe menus without wine.
You are correct Andy ! I had looked at Vetri tho...I remember when Georges Perrier had his 1st version of Le Bec-Fin there before moving to Walnut Street location.

Thanks again to those who have offered suggestions, but no decision yet. None of the places I remember are still there other than McGillins Ale House.

In doing my research I discovered that the old brownstone I lived in at 2106 Walnut St was designed by Frank Furness, and the old Wanamaker House nearby is now a highrise with only the facade of the original building still there.

Thanks again to those who have offered suggestions, but no decision yet. None of the places I remember are still there other than McGillins Ale House.

In doing my research I discovered that the old brownstone I lived in at 2106 Walnut St was designed by Frank Furness, and the old Wanamaker House nearby is now a highrise with only the facade of the original building still there.
So how did it go for you and which restaurant you went? Would you like to share your experience here?

Now back from PHL & OCNJ, no I didn't feel the earthquake tho my brother in his home did. And I did see the eclipse...history.

Restaurant chosen for our 1 free nite in CC Phila was...Parc...because of the location mainly, I was staying on S 17th at the Kimpton Palomar, excellent choice, my niece at the Marriott where the WWE people/fans were staying. Prior to dinner at Parc we had an out of towners meet up for drinks & hors d at Andra Hem on S 16th...cute cozy place owned by daughter of a friend.

Having not been in CC Phila in many years, I was amazed at the oh so tall buildings while trying to figure out what was where when I was there last time & living there. Other surprise was how crowded Parc was on a Tues nite in heavy rain. We enjoyed our dinners, dessert & lovely bottle of wine. Next day ventured into Reading Terminal Market & found a good, very good, cheesesteak with Whiz followed by Bassetts ice cream...mobbed market. Sad to see so many homeless...

So if you're still reading...next nite was the 'make up' nite for a post poned event in Tuscany in 2022 which niece Sheryl attended with me ...cancelled because so many of the guests had gotten covid. After very heavy hors d & drinks a 2 hour concert for 175 lucky 'friends' for an hour of Andrea Bocelli, brief intermission, then an hour of Sting who sang a duet with Andrea. What a very special evening my friend gave those of us lucky to know her.
Thanks too for the forum members dining recommendations.