Island update

Patrick

SBH Insider
A late cancellation at our favourite villa made us look to see if it was possible to book connecting flights for the stay. We were able to find flights and connections. However we had an extremely tight connection of 30 minutes to catch our Winair flight to SBH. We contacted Vincent at PremiumIV.

With the recent comments of long connection times at SXM, we assumed we would have to stay overnight on St Maarten. Our Air Canada flight arrived early but we waited over 20 minutes on the runway. Thankfully, the travel gods were on our side as was PremiumIV and we made the connection to SBH! A quick and easy pickup of our Mini at Gumbs and we made it to Lorient to the beautiful Les Basses.

Picture1.png

Dinner was a couple pizzas at Le Bouchon - always have been consistently good over the years. A great start to the trip.

Picture2.png

Breakfast at the well stocked Petit Colombe which looked so much better then it did 4 years ago when we were last on the island. Quiche, small sandwiches, citron loaf and fresh squeezed orange juice hit the spot.

A lazy day at the villa walking the Lorient beach, watching the surfers and having a few Caribs were a needed escape from the doldrums of our Canadian winter. Picked up supplies at the Monoprix in Lorient.

Picture3.jpg

A pre-booked night at Tamarin was our first big dinner. The grounds looked fantastic and the staff provided exceptional service. The food, sadly, was not the best. I shared the ribeye special for 2 with my daughter and I have to say it was the toughest piece of meat I have ever eaten. Ribeye is usually a tender cut but this was not. My wife had the cod which she liked. The restaurant was super busy as we were getting close to leaving but the staff was excellent. A not so nice “this table will be ready in 5 to 10 minutes” comment by the host walking by our table ended a somewhat disappointing evening. We have been going to Tamarin in its different iterations since we first came to the island in 2002.

Picture4.jpg

Today is a new day and tough to beat with this view waking up.

Picture5.jpg

Not sure what the day will hold but just so glad to be back. We have reservations at Ti Corail and Zion in the next couple days and will report back.

Salut

A late cancellation at our favourite villa made us look to see if it was possible to book connecting flights for the stay. We were able to find flights and connections. However we had an extremely tight connection of 30 minutes to catch our Winair flight to SBH. We contacted Vincent at PremiumIV.

With the recent comments of long connection times at SXM, we assumed we would have to stay overnight on St Maarten. Our Air Canada flight arrived early but we waited over 20 minutes on the runway. Thankfully, the travel gods were on our side as was PremiumIV and we made the connection to SBH! A quick and easy pickup of our Mini at Gumbs and we made it to Lorient to the beautiful Les Basses.

View attachment 67828

Dinner was a couple pizzas at Le Bouchon - always have been consistently good over the years. A great start to the trip.

View attachment 67829

Breakfast at the well stocked Petit Colombe which looked so much better then it did 4 years ago when we were last on the island. Quiche, small sandwiches, citron loaf and fresh squeezed orange juice hit the spot.

A lazy day at the villa walking the Lorient beach, watching the surfers and having a few Caribs were a needed escape from the doldrums of our Canadian winter. Picked up supplies at the Monoprix in Lorient.

View attachment 67830

A pre-booked night at Tamarin was our first big dinner. The grounds looked fantastic and the staff provided exceptional service. The food, sadly, was not the best. I shared the ribeye special for 2 with my daughter and I have to say it was the toughest piece of meat I have ever eaten. Ribeye is usually a tender cut but this was not. My wife had the cod which she liked. The restaurant was super busy as we were getting close to leaving but the staff was excellent. A not so nice “this table will be ready in 5 to 10 minutes” comment by the host walking by our table ended a somewhat disappointing evening. We have been going to Tamarin in its different iterations since we first came to the island in 2002.

View attachment 67831

Today is a new day and tough to beat with this view waking up.

View attachment 67832

Not sure what the day will hold but just so glad to be back. We have reservations at Ti Corail and Zion in the next couple days and will report back.

Salut
Patrick…you and your family hit the jackpot. Welcome back. Enjoy.

Day 2

After a restful sleep, we awoke to the crashing waves of Lorient. A walk back and forth on the beach got our appetites stirring.

We drove to Le Grain de Sel which we go at least once a trip. Some interesting specials!

1703102181181.png

Annabelle had the river prawns, I had the chicken in coconut sauce and our daughter had the langouste ($10/100g) (Tamarin posted $16/100g but was not available). All the meals were excellent and it is just a chill spot for us (like Jojo Burger). No one was smoking at the tables. We will likely be back.

1703102199925.png

For dinner we used Delifood Island and ordered from Les Bananiers. First time having their pizza and have to say it was better then Le Bouchon. The delivery service was quick, convenient and allowed us to enjoy dinner in the comfort of our villa.

Day 3

Started the day again walking the beach to work up our appetites. Realized that we needed to stock up on some essentials. Headed to St. Jean by the airport and visited Ets Hippolyte Ledee (the yellow building just before the Eden to Go plaza). I had never been before but they had a very nice selection of liquor especially rum which I am a big fan of. Very nice staff and provided a couple samples of agricole rum which I enjoyed. Wish there was a way to get the rum through SXM customs with a carry on.

1703102242228.png

We picked up the essentials of rum, champagne and vanilla rhum to take care of us for a few days.

1703102260774.png

For lunch we made reservations at Ti’ Corail and quickly realized how much we missed the long leisurely lunches at La Gloriette and Grand Cul de Sac.

Such a relaxing setting watching the pelicans divebomb for fish for added entertainment.

1703102279537.png

1703102303250.png

We shared the accras (excellent) and both the mahi mahi and lobster roll were very good. There was a good amount of lobster! The restaurant was jam packed but the service kept up and was great. A complimentary rum shot made for a wonderful afternoon.

1703102449709.png

Time for some champagne!

Cheers

Great going! I can tell that you'll have no problem in relaxing & having fun. If you return to ETS, by the way, the sales lady is "Rose" -- a real sweetheart!

Interesting specials at Le Grain de Sel. Is there a goat shortage?

Ets. Hippolyte Ledee is an occasional stop for me. Some interesting rhums can be found there, including Reimonenq.

Interesting specials at Le Grain de Sel. Is there a goat shortage?

Ets. Hippolyte Ledee is an occasional stop for me. Some interesting rhums can be found there, including Reimonenq.
Maybe substituting donkey for the lack of goat?!

Maybe substituting donkey for the lack of goat?!
Goat is on the menu too, but that was my thought - less goat, more donkey. In all of my years in the Caribbean, donkey is one dish that I haven’t tried. I would have ordered the grilled fish, or perhaps Annabelle’s river prawns.

Great reporting, keep them coming. Luigi the Pizzola expert at Les Bananiers cannot be topped, he is awesome. I also enjoy Le Grain de Sel however, it can get warm in the middle of a hot summers' day, very pleasant otherwise. Great selection of local fair. Thank you very much for the tip "Ets Hippolyte Ledee". In all my years, I have never ventured into the store. Will do in a couple weeks time. Love Ti' Corail, glad you were pleased with your lobster roll :)

Unfortunately I was getting some cryptic unsecure messages when logging on to this site for the latter part of our trip and did not finish our trip report. Did anyone else get these messages?

Anyways, after a comment by davesmom, I thought I would add some pics and comments on the remainder of the trip.

1705523545210.png

I know a few people made comments but the island really did not seem overly busy. We have only visited in April/May or November – never during the high season. As we typically eat earlier, no restaurant was busy when we arrived for the whole trip.

We went to Zion twice – just love it there – great food and great service - on Christmas Eve and a few days prior. My daughter and I had the lobster gnocchis and Annabelle had the Mahi Mahi (twice). The seared foie gras starter is decadent. On Christmas Eve, I had the striploin special with truffle shavings!

1705523638650.png

1705523656593.png

Looking for a last minute late lunch spot, we went to Le Piment. We had been many times in previous years but not for a number of years. It was very smoky with locals at the bar and the outside seating. However, the service and food was very good – loved the burgers and salads. We went back on Christmas Day and the food and service was top notch again. My daughter said she had the best steak (special) of the trip during this dinner.

1705523729163.png

A number of chicks with their hen visited the restaurant during the lunch making for some laughter (especially given poulet was the special!).

1705523791117.png

1705523808061.png

1705523821422.png

We went to La Petit Colombe almost every day for pastries and sandwiches for breakfasts & often lunches. We tried Choisy one day and have to say the offerings were limited compared to Petit Colombe. Compared to previous years, the staff was super friendly.

1705523913264.png

1705523939722.png

As we typically stay in Lorient, great to have a gas station so close by.

1705523975494.png

Pictures and reporting is superb! You really captured wonderful places and great info on where you went..it convinces me to give a second look to a few places. Many thanks for your time as you made your way around our beloved island and bon retour!

Unfortunately I was getting some cryptic unsecure messages when logging on to this site for the latter part of our trip and did not finish our trip report. Did anyone else get these messages?

Anyways, after a comment by davesmom, I thought I would add some pics and comments on the remainder of the trip.

View attachment 68045
I know a few people made comments but the island really did not seem overly busy. We have only visited in April/May or November – never during the high season. As we typically eat earlier, no restaurant was busy when we arrived for the whole trip.

We went to Zion twice – just love it there – great food and great service - on Christmas Eve and a few days prior. My daughter and I had the lobster gnocchis and Annabelle had the Mahi Mahi (twice). The seared foie gras starter is decadent. On Christmas Eve, I had the striploin special with truffle shavings!

View attachment 68046
View attachment 68047

Looking for a last minute late lunch spot, we went to Le Piment. We had been many times in previous years but not for a number of years. It was very smoky with locals at the bar and the outside seating. However, the service and food was very good – loved the burgers and salads. We went back on Christmas Day and the food and service was top notch again. My daughter said she had the best steak (special) of the trip during this dinner.

View attachment 68048
A number of chicks with their hen visited the restaurant during the lunch making for some laughter (especially given poulet was the special!).

View attachment 68049
View attachment 68050
View attachment 68051

We went to La Petit Colombe almost every day for pastries and sandwiches for breakfasts & often lunches. We tried Choisy one day and have to say the offerings were limited compared to Petit Colombe. Compared to previous years, the staff was super friendly.

View attachment 68052

View attachment 68053

As we typically stay in Lorient, great to have a gas station so close by.

View attachment 68054
Not to mention the new shoe store 😂! I will follow up on Kevin's research!