Great Week May 17-24 at Villa Coral

robandlois

SBH Insider
This was our fifth stay on the island. Each time we rented a different villa. For this trip we stayed at Villa Coral, and used Happy Villa to book it. Guillaume and Oliva at Happy Villa were very helpful with all details, and aided in booking our sunset cruise. The villa is small, but the view was fantastic, and a very comfortable outside area. I do wish they had a hammock.

Best breakfast – Chocolate croissants and coffee every morning. The trick I like to add is to warm the croissants in the oven. It makes them even more flaky. Had to bring a dozen home to extend our experience.

Beach: Monday at Saline. Crystal clear, so inviting and refreshing. I spent about an hour just floating and relaxing in the sea.

Best Unexpected Moment: being able to hike to Columbier. Didn’t think I could do it again with my arrhythmia and AVR hips. Beta blocker has worked like a miracle drug, and my hips have been GREAT all week. An amazing day on Columbier walking, taking photos and snorkeling.

Romantic Moment: Nighttime dip in the pool. The villa pool gets sun all afternoon, so it’s very inviting after hours.

Villa Meal: For those abhorrent to bringing food to the island, close your ears. I brought some Costco steak, treated with Montreal Steak Seasoning, vacuum packed and frozen. Grilled on the villa gas grill, they came out amazingly tender, garnished with grilled onions and white potatoes. And the leftover steak made for enjoyable beach sandwiches.

Lunch: The hamburger at La Piment was amazing. Best tasting burger I can remember. We also stopped there on the way to the airport for a quick burger before heading home. It was 11:30 and lunch didn’t start until noon. The cook heard our plight and quickly got up and said he would prepare our burger. Nice service! And the waitress, Benedictine, was great fun and a super hostess. I remember eating there in 2004 when it was relatively new and I had read some negative reviews on line. We had a panini burger and it was fantastic. We’ve gone there each time we were on the island and always enjoyed our meal.

Accident: I hit my head 22 times on the hanging lamp on our outside covered area. Hit it once, shame on you, hit it twice, shame on me. Hit it 22 times – what’s wrong with me?!!!

Cigar: While the Bolivar is my number one, I’ve been trying a host of others. So far I’d say the Partagas figarado was my favorite this trip. Great draw, consistent flavor.

Photo: My wife on the patio overlooking Lorient after a day at the beach.

Photo at Night: Lorient landscape from our villa with a sliver of a moon, town night lights, stars and some clouds for contrast.

Restaurant Experiences:
Eddys was a fun night. Great atmosphere. And very accommodating waiter. After dinner I wanted to enjoy a post prandial cigar. He said “no cigars” but reconsidered and put me in the front away from other guests where we finished with dessert and an espresso. Can’t do that in NJ.

Our dinner at Provence was very good. The portions were excellent, very filling. While we missed the dessert cart The Wall House served, the desserts here did not disappoint. And the service was outstanding. The two sisters that waited on us were very kind, explained everything, and provided a very comfortable environment.

Pipiri Place – Another excellent meal, with a creole flair. Like Eddy’s, the outside vibe was relaxing.

TV – While we don’t watch much of any TV while on the island, I did have French satellite on one morning and found a funny cartoon – Les Lapins Crétins : Invasion (Rabbids Invasion. It was in French (which I unfortunately do not speak) but since these characters only make noises, that was not an impediment to laughing at their antics. Fun!

Mosquitoes – Not an issue. We saw some, killed some, and only got a couple of bites.

Disappointment – Andy not being in town and the pizza offering variable.

Credit Card Warning – I used our Visa card pretty much all week. We got home on Sunday. On Tuesday I got a call from Visa security that my card was used in Wilkes Barre, PA. I can’t say for sure it was a result of using it in St. Barth, and this hasn’t happened before. But take note.

I'll try to post some pictures after I get their size reduced.

Rob

Very enjoyable report. Heading down tomorrow and reading this took me there right now. In fact,mt tingles now have tingles.

Great report, robandlois. I, too, have enjoyed Villa Coral, however, without the head injury. I hope you're able to get back soon and add to these memories!

Sounds great .......

Partagas rocks ......have you tried Romeo & Juliet or Gloria Cubano ?

Those Partagas really are great. The figarado I had was called the "Presidente". I also enjoyed the Partagas Serie D No. 4. I love the Serie E No. 2, but Sandrine was out of them. And I was pleasantly surprised by a little MonteCristo junior (maybe about 4 x 38). I did try the Romeo y Juliet Churchill. I had read an article on Winston Churchill and his love for cigars some months ago, so I wanted to try the now classic Romeo y Juliet Churchill. It was good, but for me not great. Maybe too young? And those Partagas had already grabbed my attention.
Smoking a good Cuban late afternoon or evening, either at the villa or walking Gustavia is one of the many highlights of my week in St. Barth.

Smoking a good Cuban late afternoon or evening, either at the villa or walking Gustavia is one of the many highlights of my week in St. Barth.

Amen....its my Saturday night ritual all year long....are you on Sandrines mailing list???...every now and then she gets Gloria Cubano.....grab one and try it if you see them.....

Romea & Juliet Cedro Deluxe #3 is my "go to"

Since you can now bring Cuban cigars back from Cuba I would assume you can legally bring them back from SBH- not that you haven't already. I wonder when they will be sold here??

I am on Sandrine's mailing list. I will look for the Gloria Cubano. My go to is the Bolivar Belicoso. After this trip I ALMOST swapped it out for a box of the Partagas Presidente, but too many years of having the go to Bolivar. It still brings me back to some earlier St. Barth trips. And like you, I reserve one per week throughout the year. The simple pleasure of a cigar!

Since you can now bring Cuban cigars back from Cuba I would assume you can legally bring them back from SBH- not that you haven't already. I wonder when they will be sold here??

From what I have heard, at this point you can only bring Cuban cigars in if coming from Cuba, and with a limit of $100. The beauty of the cigar industry is that with 60 years of embargo, other countries have developed excellent cigars, so to me there really is a broad spectrum of great cigars, Cuba no longer corners the premium cigar market. And once the embargo is entirely lifted, it will be very interesting how Cuba responds. What may happen is that they'll drop quality to increase production to match increased demand. That won't be good. And of course the counterfeit market will go crazy. It will be interesting.

Very true the playing field has been leveled somewhat

we have a great cigar shop in P Town and he just turned me on to a non Cuban cigar made by the Gloria Cubano people that was outstanding and of course the name escapes me but I'm getting one tomorrow night so I will post the name then

...of course the name escapes me ...

Haha, welcome to my world. Please do post the name. I'll keep it for future consideration. Sandrine has helped set me up for some time.
I will add that for my palate, there are two non-Cuban cigars that remind me of Cuban cigars like the Bolivar:
- The Fuente family "Casa Fuente". Very difficult to get. Smoked one during the last two Super Bowls.
- The recently released Ashton Symetry.

And one other worth mentioning - the Fuente Hemingway series. A medium stick with a sweet Cameroon wrapper. Very nice.

I can feel the moderators' finger on the mouse ready to move this thread as "off topic".

Rob

You were at Villa Coral right after us! Cool to hear how the place was enjoyed by the next lucky guests even if it wasn't us... I totally agree with your assessment of the most romantic moment, finishing the day at the villa pool was a highlight (we put that ice bucket to good use every evening with our Rose du jour!). And Eddys... and Saline... thanks for the chance to re-live it all.

We're still not back to reality. Vacation is supposed to re-charge your batteries, but somehow this one had the opposite effect, I just can't seem to shake that island vibe off, I'm a total wreck ever since we got back. I guess we're just wallowing in self-pity (and living vicariously through reports like this) wishing we were back on SBH.

Powderfreaks - When I first read your report, it was a little freaky because the early part of your trip was so similar - Villa Coral, like you we planned the Hideway for our first dinner, Saline first beach, afternoon villa recovery, etc. You did such a great job describing your experiences with much more detail than I could do.

And yes, reality reentry can be tough. It helped us that we came home to 80 degree temperatures, and I have a ton of photos and some video to help rekindle the memories.

Hope you can make it back soon!

...Best Unexpected Moment: being able to hike to Columbier. Didn’t think I could do it again with my arrhythmia and AVR hips. Beta blocker has worked like a miracle drug, and my hips have been GREAT all week. An amazing day on Columbier walking, taking photos and snorkeling.

...a well-deserved Nobel in 1988 for James Black...

Since you can now bring Cuban cigars back from Cuba I would assume you can legally bring them back from SBH...

Not yet.

"Persons authorized to travel to Cuba may purchase alcohol and tobacco products while in Cuba for personal consumption while there. Authorized travelers may return to the United States with up to $100 worth of alcohol and/or tobacco products acquired in Cuba in accompanied baggage, for personal use only.

Purchasing Cuban-origin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other Cuban-origin alcohol over the internet or while in a third country (i.e. not Cuba) remains prohibited. "

per US CBP confirming what Rob had heard.