Our 2020 trip

Jim A

Senior Insider
Where we are so far:

So we went through the same thing as many others with regards to deciding to go/not go. We decided to go. We fly out tomorrow morning :)pray1:).
For various reasons we chose SJU over SXM. These were mostly either COVID or potential flight cancellation related reasons. Some of the reasons that were valid (at least to us) at the time are no longer valid (such as tested on island to transfer thru SXM on the way home and the difference between the quarantine rules on the return to NY).

We had our tests done at Mt Sinai in NYC at 4:15pm (time stamped 5:00pm) on Wednesday. We depart SJU for SBH at 4:15 on Saturday. We stuck with the 72 hour rule to be safe even though that now appears to be 3 days. We had our results (both negative) emailed to us before we woke up the next morning (about 12 hours).

We emailed the results to Tradewind and they confirmed that we are good for travel.

We just signed up for Medjet for the first time. It isn't something we would normally do, but we felt for this year it was the smart way to go but are of course hoping it was wasted money.

Well done! Now, relax and let the travel mercies (the ones I’ve prayed for you) work.

Bon voyage!
:peace-sign1:

Safe travels.

You've researched, you've planned, and you've done what you can do.

Have a great trip!

you are traveling on a blue moon. have fun and make your reservations for sat. night before you leave. I think all the restaurants will be crowded.

Jim did you make an appointment for Tests at Mount Sinai ?? How was the process ??
Yes we did. It was seamless. The only issue is I believe you need to be in their system already (or have a cousin who is an infectious disease doctor there:cool:) to schedule the test and I don't think you can just show up other than probably an emergency room type test. They have a tent in the courtyard that does nothing but COVID testing I think and it was mostly empty. We were in and out of there in 15 minutes counting the time to take the test and fill out the questionnaire about the symptoms. If you are in the City or nearby I'd call and ask. Plus the quick turnaround makes it a slam dunk.

Thanks for posting.

We're scheduled to come down over Thanksgiving (through SXM) and my wife is starting to get cold feet. I guess SBH is listed as Level 3 on the CDC website ("avoid unnecessary travel").

Whew ! almost there. Looking forward to vicarious visit thru your time on the island we all wish we were visiting !

Thank you Jim. Have a great trip today and keep us posted when you get back. Curious to see whether you will get callbacks from Trace Corps once back in NYC>

. . . I guess SBH is listed as Level 3 on the CDC website ("avoid unnecessary travel").

As I understand this matter, SBH was unfortunately lumped together with other nearby islands that are experiencing rampant — perhaps even uncontrolled — Covid cases. While SBH is not free of cases of the virus, the situation here is much different from other French West Indies islands.

As I understand this matter, SBH was unfortunately lumped together with other nearby islands that are experiencing rampant — perhaps even uncontrolled — Covid cases. While SBH is not free of cases of the virus, the situation here is much different from other French West Indies islands.

Thanks!

• [FONT=&quot]
    Governor Cuomo JUST ANNOUNCED that anyone coming in to New York must test 3 days before and 4 days after entering the State. If tested negative, no more quarantine !! This effectively lowers the quarantine period to 4 days from 14. This is great news !! More coming... Just announced....​

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

a morning rainbow today

View recent photos.png