Nature News

amyb

Senior Insider
Today I observed many beautiful butterflies, many turtles, and orchids, Flamboyant and Gaiac trees in bloom. Had to share! Things are still green and lush in Lurin.:pray1:

It’s truly a beautiful scene on the island right now, Amy . . . agree! And more rain coming — Sunday / Monday. I must have moved at least six turtles out of harm’s way yesterday & today. Poor things . . . I want to Google whether they have any brain power!

A terrific specimen was a big glorious tree in front of reception at Le Toiny. Sadly, Irma has reduced its magnificence considerably. Over the years I took pictures of it, with orange buds and blue blossoms. They are often planted near houses as their incredible root system helps hold Down the house in times of tropical high windstorms.

I see them ALL in my mind’s eye until I get to see them in person. Thanks for the lovely visual, Ames.

The old St Barth Case-style houses were not only built close to a Gaiac tree, but I’ve been told that they sometimes used a Gaiac as the corner post of a Case. That would make a heck of an anchor in a windstorm!