Building in the restricted zones on the island?

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
During our recent visit we heard some discussion/concern of building permits being given in some of the protected areas. Don't know how factual this is. The explanation given to us is that some of the local families who have been on the island for multiple generations have requested building permits for their expanded family members adjacent to land they currently occupy. It was explained to us that land may be in a restricted (red?) area but the local family may own some of it. We learned that as the government continues to allow additional large Villas to be constructed, it is very difficult to say no to multigenerational island families who want to keep their loved ones nearby. Would appreciate any comments others have who are more informed on this.

I don’t know if I’m “more informed” than you, Bill, but my impression is that there really isn’t a zoning map in place. There have been numerous proposals, as I recall the situation, & various court challenges related to them. Whether any plan has received final approval & been implemented, I’m unsure. In any event, I believe that, during periods without an approved zoning plan, there has been some building in areas that were sought to be protected.

Okay, so maybe a simple comment, but, think back what the island looked like 20 years ago and project 20 years from now. What's it going to look like? Development pressure can be persuasive.

Okay, so maybe a simple comment, but, think back what the island looked like 20 years ago and project 20 years from now. What's it going to look like? Development pressure can be persuasive.
Hopefully not like this:

TimesSquare_bright.jpg