code

Nah, Martin is going to SBH next month, but he's transiting thorough SJU to SBH instead of SXM.

SMX instead of SXM, St Marteen instead of St Maarten, both are common errors. It's unlikely, but if Martin has somehow bought tickets to SMX then it will be one heck of a surprise, LOL. I have every confidence that he has been bit by a common typo, and that his travels will be both as expected, and uneventful.

So, the airport was originally and formerly Saint-Jean - Gustave III. Presently Saint-Barthélémy - Rémy de Haenen. The current name works perfectly with SBH, but why was it originally given the code ?

So, the airport was originally and formerly Saint-Jean - Gustave III. Presently Saint-Barthélémy - Rémy de Haenen. The current name works perfectly with SBH, but why was it originally given the code ?

...because its the name of the island is used for IATA codes around here, not the royalty or celebrity the airport named after in these cases, thus SBH for St Barth rather than for the King of Sweden (Gustave) and SXM for Sint Maarten, rather than Princess Juliana which is the name of the "airport) named after a Dutch queen... and SJU is the Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport..

can you imagine the confusion if they tried to change it from GIII to RDH... however in NYC, what is now JFK used to be IDL for Idlewild, so I guess it has happened in the past...

I had assumed the airport had been Saint-Barthélémy - Gustave III, but it was Saint-Jean - Gustave III. According to the Wiki...

Charles de Gaulle

Antigua, V. C. Bird International Airport, code ANU...Vieques, Antonio Rivera Rodríguez Airport, code VQS

...in the islands, the code is based on the name of the island, not the name of the airport... it's different elsewhere. but if an island had two airports what would they do?

I am missing your point?

Antigua, V. C. Bird International Airport, code ANU...Vieques, Antonio Rivera Rodríguez Airport, code VQS

...in the islands, the code is based on the name of the island, not the name of the airport... it's different elsewhere. but if an island had two airports what would they do?

I am missing your point?

This website might be helpful to this discussion as it explains many airport codes. Unfortunately SBH isn’t included! Perhaps someone on Twitter can add it?
https://airportcod.es/