optimism and hope is alive and well on this forum and on this island

didier

Senior Insider
I do not believe the other thread with this title is accurate because of the latest responses in the past weeks. I will never respond on that thread again, too much misinformation about the island. I think one person in particular just makes things up as he goes along, we all know who I am speaking of. That thread now has a bad vibe. The island is great. Most places are open, life is back to normal. The high end hotels are not ready to open and most will not be ready to open until much later this year. Other than that, we are ready for the bucket and even though the boats are down a third from previous year, it should be another great bucket. :up:

I agree Diana. Our trip last week was terrific. I’ll post a trip report when I have time. We ate at every place I wanted to except for Gloriette and Cote Port- RIP. Marché U was full and the villa great. The weather was great- rain at night windy during the day and no bugs. I sprayed myself one time at night. The damage to the beachside establishments is as expected but repairs are ongoing. I am already booked for next year. Hopefully there will be more direct flights.

Much of what has been emphasized in the recovery from Irma has not concentrated on what keeps me coming back to St Barth. Others have done better jobs than I could at describing what "I'm looking for". Ricky G did it while providing a screensaver (acquired a few of those from his posts over the yaers...) so I quote him here:

I visit St Barth to witness the incredible color of the morning sky. I come to watch the insane light show of Gustavia sunsets. I love to walk with the goats above Toiny (like it so much that I bought a small herd for our farm). I love taking a ride in a Twin Otter, a Pilatus PC12 or a Norman Islander……and the first peek at the Baie de St Jean at the end of the ride.
Mostly I come to St Barth to relax and breathe.
We’ll be heading down in a couple weeks.…. pretty sure I’ll find what I’m looking for

Sunrize-C-2-web.jpg

Much of what has been emphasized in the recovery from Irma has not concentrated on what keeps me coming back to St Barth. Others have done better jobs than I could at describing what "I'm looking for". Ricky G did it while providing a screensaver (acquired a few of those from his posts over the yaers...) so I quote him here:

View attachment 45306

love rickyg and this is one of the best pics of the island that I have seen! keep them coming ricky

OK, here are some other reasons for optimism and hope:

Yesterday it was 75 degrees and sunny in NYC. And while we might pause to weep for our planet, instead we saw Escape to Margaritaville (the Buffett musical) in previews on Broadway. That got us in the mood for…

Our 11th trip, which we completed booking last week. And because we coincidentally had a long weekend in Newport planned, I hand-delivered the check to the Wimco office in KevinS style. Why should our trip be reason for others to be optimistic?

We are simple people, yet high-maintenance in a low-maintenance kind of way. We have never needed to be entertained, but we always want to be in hotels, on the beach. We bring too many bags, but don’t want to pack up to go to the beach each day on vacation. We want bathrooms and cold drinks. For these reasons, we long-resisted what I viewed as the misguided appeals of the villa people.

In our younger, childless days in Boston, we had the luxury of planning our trips around the low-season rate drop. Avec chien, we started at Sereno in 2003 and Tom Beach in 2004, when solid rooms could be had for not much more than $300/night. From 2006-2008, we had a three year run in the little beach cottage rooms behind the Sand Bar at Eden Rock. With the Euro pushing some highs, the 385 euro/night represented a bigger investment, but oh my god… it was ER! And a with breakfast at the Sand Bar, a car and a lunch and dinner thrown in, it was EASY to rationalize the hell out of that. Those experiences infected us with a love for the island that has been tested by, but survived the steady escalation of prices driven to stratospheric heights by global demand for iconic luxury.

But the ER rooms became impossible to get and no longer a good deal, especially with a young child in tow. So we split our time between Baie des Anges and EP in 2009, and moved on to Guanahani in 2010/2011. The bigger price tag was softened by the $/euro at par low season deal, lots of meals, a car and the babysitting club.

We took three years off as life intervened - a move to NYC in 2012 and chaining to the NYC public school calendar left us staring at limited availability, winter rates and $1100 flights out of NYC.

Then in April 2015, our one dogless spring, we stayed at Les Ondines and the love was rekindled. We loved revisiting Grand cul de Sac (scene of our first island landing and many long lunches at Gloriette) with our first grader. We came to appreciate the quiet and space of a larger room, and having a kitchen so we didn’t have to sweat planning as many restaurant meals that would placate our accumulated food allergies and son who likes… simple food.

In 2016, vacation fell on low season, so we returned, in a *gasp* villa. But on the “beach” (quotes used because it was Marigot). We loved it. The quiet, the space, grilling mahi mahi the owner of Lo D’Amour brought us.

Last year, vacation again fell on the wrong side of April 15, and we answered a call to fling ourselves to the Pacific Beaches of Mexico. Full disclosure: we loved it, but the ardor of getting there, scared us from returning (it’s worth a post on its own and I promise you whatever happens in the tents at SXM will be a spa day comparatively).

Fast forward to September, and like many of you, I found myself in tears reading the early (and largely false) reports of irreversible damage (Eden Rock and Tom Beach were gone). I imagined that all the places we loved were gone, that we’d never get to build more of the same memories. Obviously the island took a catastrophic hit and has faced many challenges rebuilding, but the pace, from afar, has been inspiring and remarkable. By December, we became more determined than ever to return. We faced the same hurdles anyone has – limited flights, limited availability – but we managed to string together a stellar and easy Saturday-Saturday flight itinerary using all points (JB and Delta) + SBC. The super cheap flights allowed me to use my most powerful tool available for planning SBH vacations: Rationalization. After going back and forth for weeks and raising our budget, we booked a villa… In the hills (Costa Nova). This will be the earliest we've ever set foot on the island, March 31. Gloriette is no more, for now. That hurts. But we won’t miss irritating the staff at Nikki Beach with our cheap orders (some sushi, two drinks and tipping like the French!). We’ll cook and enjoy the pool , the views and try the pop-up bars, Shellona and whatever is coming out of La Plage so we can get some beach chair time.

So yeah, we’re excited and optimistic.

I loved loved reading this post. you really do have a true st. barth spirit! welcome back soon. adventures always changing is the spice of life.

As long as Amy and Phil are posting their wonderful restaurant pics that make my mouth water every time, optimism and hope will indeed be alive and well

Ahhh, St Barths:up:

Cheers to jdr for your post. We were very fortunate the stars and planes (barely) aligned for us last November and were able to keep holiday plans. As a forum novice, my trip report landed on a villa thread ("Happy Villa St Barth") and wasn't sure how to move it to another so was likely missed by many. We had a very special trip and that was 3 months ago, clearly much continues to improve. You will not be disappointed. We are happily returning in spring, summer and again for Thanksgiving. Granted, it's difficult, and we are fortunate to live near major airports, but it is possible. The island has done an amazing job, the rest will take time. "But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience."

Optimism, hope and patience are indeed alive and well!

For us the two week visit we just made to the island was perfection. The restauranteurs and shopkeepers were all gracious and thankful to see us and for our business. The drivers were universally polite- even most of the scooters and motorcycles. There were always plenty of parking spaces. There were more trucks than ever on the roads but what does one expect with all of the repairs going on. The weather was windy but that means fewer mosquitoes and fresh breezes. Lots of rainbows, smiling faces, beautiful beaches, great sunsets and sunrises- Ouanalao lives! The only item we worry about for the island as always is the next hurricane season.

This is unquestionably my favorite photo of Colombier outlook. Presently I use it as my Facebook cover photo. With credit to Ricky G of course. Last year we went up here several times trying to get clouds and blue sky to shoot in my first attempt at a DSLR video of Saint Barth. (Before always the typical tourist iPhone video shots) Never got anything like this in the past decade we visited Saint Barth. Will be back soon as we didn't cancel our flight or villa rental (booked about a year ago) for this coming Spring as it seems many people have. I don't have any concern about getting there even though American Airlines and Winair have changed our flight several times now. I should say not only our flight but also our departure airport. Miami now and not our original booking of Charlotte. Getting back home is our concern. We have a 4 hour stay at St. Maarten before our AA flight to Miami. I sure hope they have a tent with some rum punch before we board...! In case you haven't seen the video I shot last year here it is again. This coming trip I am not sure I will bring a camera as my wife did not have a real vacation as we hiked around for two weeks shooting 400 takes (using only about 50) to make the video. And, another two weeks editing at home. Found out the hard way how difficult it is to edit to music. No wonder it takes Hollywood so long to make a movie...! I hope you enjoy the video. For us it is something that brings back memories when we are not in our favorite place in the world. https://vimeo.com/218316283

Thank you for all the time put into this wonderful video. The island is different now, but still video worthy. I hope you find time to shoot more. Thanks again for posting.

We left the island on Sept 3, 2017, but having gone to the island since 1980,
i always know that the island may not look the same on the next visit. Because it had been so long since a big hurricane, I was strangely pensive on our last day.
I spent a few hours at the far end of Pelican Beach, with a boarded up Nikki.
I spent the week watching them build a new room on the “rock”, after Sandbar was also boarded up. And I watched the workers scurrying around Eden Rock, draining the Rock Star Villa pool. So much work, just to begin again. And Jim and I had many “planning” meetings at Crystal Dream about what could be done with the vast open space on the beach (Can’t wait to go to LilRock!)
We are so excited to be arriving on the island on 4/1! Can’t wait to try the new places, and visit the old. We spent little time at the big hotels, so as sad as their damage is, shouldnt affect us too much.

But we are so excited

We have to say we never did not have anticipation and great expectations no matter what happened and all were met on the island and we still do!