Running on St. Barths

ach449

SBH Member
Hello,
I am heading to St. Barths next week for 7 days. I am currently training for the NYC half marathon in March so I will need to do a couple of long runs while I am on the island. Does anyone have any trails/routes they recommend? I'm staying in Pointe Milou and will have a car.
Thank you in advance!

I love running in Pointe Milou one of my favorite areas on the island. There are sidewalks going from the airport all the way through Lorient. Another favorite is along Toiny/Grand Fond area. I will start in Toiny then run up the big hill, down the hill till the turn to Lorient then back. Thats a fun run! Vitet is hilly too and the roads are not as busy. Enjoy and take your phone with you for some photos. Great views!

One has to watch for roadwork, telephone pole repair, electricity crews, etc. be careful.

It is hard to get a really long run in on the island without repeats and/or tons of hills. The info in the Timeless Tips is great. Agree also with statements about safety. Earlier is better (but be aware of locals heading to work), no headphones (you need to hear vehicles), and watch your feet (very uneven surfaces.)

In spite of all this...I'd rather be running in St. Barth than at home any day!

A few years ago we had a fun "challenge" thing going on the forum. These are not long runs but are great workouts. Here is a link to the Colombier Challenge:

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/80411-Over-Under-Colombier-Hike-50-Minute-Challenge?

The Gouverneur up and down is fun and you are rewarded with one of the best beaches in the world.

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/84337-The-Gouverneur-Pacemaker-33-Minute-Challenge?

One has to watch for roadwork, telephone pole repair, electricity crews, etc. be careful.
And garbage trucks, right , Phil???

Sunday’s are definitely the best day to go out, less traffic; just watch for the bike racers

We agree with Kevin- running on the main roads is perilous. Like myhappyplace, We run in Pte. Milou- down to the Christopher and back up- all the way out to the main road and around the various roads in Pte. Milou and often venture over to Mon Jean where you can get in on foot but not by car because it is gated.

I would agree with all the prior comments—-especially the notes about safety. During our 30 years of annual visits, we have logged many miles on St. Barth roads and the track. We trained for marathons and shorter distances. You can certainly do several loops of Pt. Milou and Mont Jean without venturing into the main road. You can also intersperse track workouts with your road work. And since the hills are challenging, I think you will find yourself in better shape when you leave than when you arrive. Good luck!

The steep hills of SBH were my training grounds for what ultimately led me through a very successful collegiate and international rowing portion of my life.

0FDF7946-C19C-443B-9797-86F815211A05.jpeg
This fellow seems to know where it’s safe to run