Flights Into SXM Post Irma

thomasj

SBH Insider
****UPDATED SEPTEMBER 29****

****IN LIGHT OF THE LATEST NEWS DATED SEP 28 FROM SXM OFFICIALS OF THE EXTENSIVE DAMAGE ON THE SITE, TAKE ALL THE INFORMATION BELOW WITH A GRAIN OF SALT, THE US CARRIERS ARE SELLING FLIGHTS THAT MAY VERY WELL BE CANCELLED - I WOULD NOT BOOK A FLIGHT INTO SXM FOR THE NEXT MONTH AT LEAST****

hey all,

I was just looking over the current situation of when airlines are planning to re-start flights into SXM and there have been a lot of changes that will impact those looking to book over the winter with a massive decrease in capacity that will effect a lot of people already booked. Oh Boy.

***All this was sourced from each respective airline direct as well as cross referenced with Google Flights. Let me know if I missed any, but from what I can see as of today (obviously subject to lots of change as the situation on SXM updates):

(non-stop flights only) I will update frequently as the changes come in!

Air Canada
YYZ - SXM: resumes Dec 16 (1 weekly)

Air Caraibes
ORY - SXM: resumes Oct 7 (2 weekly)
PTP - SXM: resumes Oct 13 (3 weekly)

Air France
CDG - SXM: resumes Oct 29 (6 times per week, Tuesday service axed - was daily last winter)

Air Transat
YYZ - SXM: resumes Dec 23 (1 weekly)
YUL - SXM: resumes Dec 23 (1 weekly)

American Airlines
MIA - SXM: resumes Oct 1 (1 daily until Dec 15 when 2 daily resumes, note: Nov 6 flight arrives SXM one hour later)
JFK - SXM: resumes Dec 15 (1 daily)
PHL - SXM: resumes Dec 15 (1 daily)
CLT - SXM: resumes Dec 15 (2 flights daily, 3rd flight on Saturdays)

Delta Airlines
ATL - SXM: resumes Oct 5 (5 times per week until Nov 1 when resumes 1 daily, Nov 11 - 2nd Saturday flight resumes)
JFK - SXM: does not seem to be back for 2017/18

Insel Air
CUR - SXM: resumes Oct 1 (1 daily)

JetBlue
BOS - SXM: resumes Nov 4 (1 weekly until Dec 21 when resumes 1 daily)
JFK - SXM: sales seem to be suspended as of now - Jetblue website only shows flights via SJU for next few months (1 daily, Nov 11th 2nd Saturday flight resumes)
SJU - SXM: seems to be cancelled for Winter 2017-18

KLM
AMS - SXM: resumes Oct 29 (2 weekly, down from 3-4 weekly from last winter, flight is now re-routed via Curacao instead of non-stop)

Spirit Airlines
FLL - SXM: resumes Feb 17 (1 weekly)

Sunwing (Would not be caught dead on this airline FYI)
YYZ - SXM: suspended for the season until further notice

United Airlines
EWR - SXM: resumes Oct 21 (1 weekly until Dec 20 when resumes 1 daily, Dec 23 - 2 flights Saturday and Sundays resume)
IAD - SXM: resumes Dec 23 (1 weekly)
ORD - SXM: resumes Dec 23 (1 weekly)

Westjet
YYZ - SXM: looks to be suspended indefinetly, zero flights loaded all winter. Normally in winter this operates 3-4 times per week, so this one is really bad for all us Canadian travellers. :sad1:
YYZ - SXM: NEW! SEEMS THAT FLIGHTS ARE NOW LOADED TO START ON APRIL 29 (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)

Interesting especially the Delta from Atlanta to SXM in 2 days. Who would want to go and where are they going? BTW- didn’t Anguilla get hit too and I have heard nothing about them.

thomas, that's great info to have for those of us with tickets into SXM!:up: For members who may need to quote the information to others, what is the source?

Thank you. Just checked AA and our early Dec. flights are gone. All east coast flights are condensed into one from Miami that arrives at 4:06. That doesn't leave a lot time to get to SBH before sundown if delayed even slightly. Been there, done that. Don't want to get stuck in SXM right now. :(

I wonder if we check in 24 hours, if we’ll find that those close-in dates have moved out another day.

Great (horrible) info Thomas! I was to be flying out of CLT on Nov 30 and it looks like ain't happening.

Does anyone have any idea what the rental companies will do if your villa is fine but you can't get to the island? Obviously I could call and find out for myself but I've been holding off to let them deal with more urgent issues. I bought the trip insurance through St Barth Properties, but I honestly don't know what that covers.

Great (horrible) info Thomas! I was to be flying out of CLT on Nov 30 and it looks like ain't happening.

Does anyone have any idea what the rental companies will do if your villa is fine but you can't get to the island? Obviously I could call and find out for myself but I've been holding off to let them deal with more urgent issues. I bought the trip insurance through St Barth Properties, but I honestly don't know what that covers.

We have the same situation. Dec 2-9 from CLT. Have the trip insurance as well from St Barth Properties.

Don’t you have the policy?

From the AA website, it looks like on Saturdays in December they are only running one single flight out of SXM. It will be to MIA around 5pm, which is actually a decent option assuming they keep it.

We are in the same situation. Were supposed to fly out of CLT on Dec 4th and connect with SBC. I saw where the non stop was taken off of the AA website but when I log into my account the reservation is still showing active. I guess it will take a few days to get an alert on it yet. Just don't want to take the risk of getting stuck in SXM overnight.

On the question of who would want to go ATL-SXM starting in Sept., there will be many clean up crews, insurance agents, contractors etc. Plus SXM is a hub to many different island other than SBH. Not all of the islands as we understand may have suffered as much as SXM?

We are traveling the first week of December and have been told the villa we booked (via SiBarth) on beach in Flamands had only minor damage and was to be fixed. We have lots of questions before we make our final payment. I asked if they had any updates about the airports and I was given this response:

"Regarding your flights,have you already checked with your travel agency about flights ? For now, StMarteen airport is destroyed, and we do not have news about Puerto Rico airport. The only to get to St Barth is from Guadeloupe"

I think these villa agencies are doing their best to get folks to come- but at some point there needs to be a more unified message. Its hard for me to want to make my final payment if the state of basics on the island (electricity, water, food, restaurants, car rentals) are unknown plus its unknown how we would get there.

At some point these agencies and the island could risk its reputation and alienate longtime visitors to try and salvage one year. Tough decisions to be made.

Hi Tim,
I went to each respective airline as starting a new booking. I also cross referenced with Google Flights (handy tool I like to use). Just meant as a quick guide for people to update as I am sure the situation at SXM changes (perhaps daily).

thomas, that's great info to have for those of us with tickets into SXM!:up: For members who may need to quote the information to others, what is the source?

Thanks and that’s a huge ouch for me coming from Philly nov 4:(. Haven’t heard back from Libby yet about the villa, but this makes successful transportation to SBH way more complicated for us.

Sigh.

United Update:
Had a 12/2 direct from Washington Dulles to SXM. Logged into my United account and clicked on My Trips. Found this little gem. An email notice would have been nice. Maybe we can get a full refund instead of just our change fees waived.

"! A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued.This reservation has been cancelled.

Hello Mike,
Ouch!
I need to check my account as I have a non-stop from IAD on January 6th for 10-people.