Peg's Blog- The Restaurant Scene

andynap

Senior Insider
351551.gif
logo.gif

[h=1]Peg's Blog - The St. Barth Restaurant Scene Just Keeps Getting Better[/h]
[h=2]In This Issue...[/h]​

[h=2]The St. Barth Restaurant Scene Just Keeps Getting Better[/h]
[h=3]Bo Káo joins the list; Le Guanahani’s Thursday night BBQ at Indigo[/h]As you know, dining out at the various restaurants in St. Barth is one of my “jobs” because I want to keep you informed about a favorite pastime and must-dos while vacationing on St. Barth.
[h=4]Bo Káo[/h]One of my new favorites is Bo Káo. For my readers who have been to St. Barth before, you remember when Frank Mathevet sold the Wall House and opened Le Carré in the Carré D’Or courtyard (by Hermès). He then sold it and it struggled for a couple of years. Now, we have Bo Káo which opened just in time for New Year’s Eve 2016. From the beginning, I loved it! The cuisine is described as “Peruvian Japanese” and the menu is extensive. They have exotic cocktails too.
Eddie the bartender creates exotic cocktails just for you
We love dining alfresco, so the ambience fits our modus operandi. Don’t worry about an occasional shower, there is a retractable awning to keep you dry.
Alfresco dining at Bo Káo
Let me start by telling you that I now have a new favorite appetizer. I will never order a different one when I dine at Bo Káo. It is called Anticuchos and it consists of 4 pieces of marinated chicken bites, chiso tempura-style with corn cream. Each morsel literally melts in your mouth. Bo Káo also offers woks, (Steve loved the seafood wok with noodles.) sushi, tempura, meat dishes such as lamb chops (adored them), seafood, ceviche and more.
Anticuchos – marinated chicken bites, chiso tempura, corn cream. The normal serving is 4 pieces. We shared plates of them for the 9 or us.

Lamb Chops, Roasted, with Nikkei stew and huacatay
The last time I was there, we had family visiting so I made a reservation for the nine of us. Everyone raved about the experience. Try it and let me know how you like it.
Here we are at Bo Káo with my daughter Kim, grandson Matt and his girlfriend Katie, John and Cathy as well as my son and SBP VP, Tom and my daughter-in-law Amy
[h=4]Indigo[/h]For a change of pace, I recommend spending your Thursday evening enjoying a poolside/beachfront setting at Le Guanahani’s Indigo restaurant. The hotel’s more formal restaurant Barto’ is closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays, so diners are treated to an Asian night on Wednesdays and a Barbecue evening on Thursdays at the beautiful Indigo restaurant.
Le Guanahani’s Indigo restaurant by the beach
Steve’s niece, Cathy and her husband John were visiting and staying at Villa Genia which is next to Le Guanahani (Our clients who stay at Vila Genia have signing privileges at the hotel, a nice perk). It was the perfect time for me to try the BBQ night.
Steve and I having fun at the Indigo BBQ with Cathy and John
We walked in and I was pleasantly surprised to see that my favorite singer and guitar man, Soley was entertaining for the night. – A bonus!
Soley serenades us at L’Indigo
As soon as I sat down, I took off my shoes and stuck my toes in the sand. Delightful! A server immediately came to our table to announce that the apéritif included with the BBQ menu was a Planteur’s punch. Steve, Cathy and John really enjoyed it. I ordered my usual coupe de Champagne, then asked for the scoop on how this BBQ thing worked and was told we could start with the appetizer section offering ceviche, fresh asparagus, greens and shrimp, to name only a few. We enjoyed the variety of choices and moved on to the main course. The chef was at the BBQ area waiting to grill our selection of ribs, steak, mahi mahi and langouste. He cooked them to perfection and we added our sides of scalloped potatoes and lasagna.

The chef offers us the ribs and steak; the BBQ on the right is for the mahi mahi and langouste.
Feeling very satisfied, we tried to be good, but the dessert table was too hard to resist. I hope that you get the opportunity to experience a fun, casual evening with your toes in the sand. Bon Appétit.
The pastry chef offered me a piece of his raspberry pie. I couldn’t resist.

Try the petits fours. They can’t have too many calories, can they?
ztyh
[h=3][/h]

Bo Káo is on my "maybe" list for my upcoming visit. They had not yet opened when I was last on-island. I've been reading their posts on FB, and some of the food looks really good.

The people who bought Le Carré from Franck ran it into the ground. They took a popular, vibrant restaurant and turned it into a ghost town. Bo Káo is the new restaurant in the former Le Carré location. New owners, new staff, new menu - new everything. The general description of the cuisine is Peruvian-Japanese.

We agree with you cec1. Whenever we were in the area it was a 'ghost town.' However the reviews here on the Forum have been positive. Let's hope there is room for a 'Peruvian Japanese' restaurant as those Marinated Anticuchos look delicious and it is fun to dine in the alcove across from the Harbor there. Great memories of Franck and those truffle fries he served! Yum!