Restaurant for Sale, Anyone interested in investing with me on SBH?

thomasj

SBH Insider
friend sent me this the other day: http://www.icietlavillas.com/estate/business/hideaway-restaurant/sale/in-st-barts
been many times, great location, overall good, good price point for SBH, popular. I would only be able to live on SBH part time (I operate other businesses in Canada) so looking for a partner or 2 (prefer someone with some hospitality experience).

I'm only (half) joking, half dreaming. Anyone have an inkling how profitable restaurants in SBH are? With all the changes of ownership over the years, my initial feeling, its tough, very tough... But its paradise right? :cool:

as a side note, the current operation doesn't have the best reviews: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaura...ideaway_Restaurant-St_Jean_St_Barthelemy.html

Please don't forget in the case of the Hideaway you are not buying the land or the walls.. just the ongoing business. not sure if the asking price includes chairs/tables etc... you'd have to ask.

so far, for the three iterations in that space, one has been a big success, based on the charm of the owner I'd say...

interesting news...

Thomas ..I have been in resort retail and resort food service for 20 years now and I can tell you the high turnover in restaurant ownership in St Bart's is a major flag .....the failure rate in resort retail and resort food world wide is three times that of Main Street businesses......it's a brutal world unless you are on the right side of the equation and know the business very well...and have deep pockets or at least a high credit limit with a bank

I would be very careful here..this is not for the faint of heart

I have seen more than my share of dreamers lose their life savings

Franck's cards are always very close to his vest. He has ideas, he has plans, and he knows the island well. If this opportunity is a good fit then he'll be all over it. If not, he'll wait patiently for the right opportunity. The fact that this opportunity made it as far as the Ici et La website says something about local interest.

agree with all the comments, the restaurant industry is hard enough in robust business environments (Toronto, NYC) but to be successful takes a winning concept, the right timing and most of all a strong stomach and very very deep pockets in a resort environment, especially one like St. Barts. My take away from my just completed trip last month is that (in general) the restaurants are a lot less busy compared to 2016,15 and earlier. Maybe a reason we are seeing listings actually hit a real estate website. The 790k euro ask for the business is crazy IMO.

Wow. The Hideaway is on the market? I guess business has not been so good since tall english left. Sad but in some ways not surprised. On our last trip, we didn't go. Used to be a twice a trip stop for us.

I'm very leery of investing in restaurants. Had chef buddy ask me to invest when he was going out on his own. I made all source of excuses. You're a great chef, love your cooking but NY restaurants is a brutal business, high failure, etc. He opened, got two stars from the NY Times and they've been packed for years so what do I know?

We agree with Mike and Pirate. It might be better to donate your money to say the reef restoration project- you'll be able to see and experience the payback.