Autour du Rocher Hotel - To be or not to be?

tim

From Le Journal -

hotel.png

Tim, I read the article. My French is far from perfect, better than some, worse than others. My take on the article is that It's Complicated. And It's Political. And it's a few weeks before the elections. Mr. President seems to have changed his mind on the Autour du Rocher project, and is touting his personal influence on the owner to change his plans. For now. Mr. President will certainly have more flexibility to change his mind (again) if his slate wins the upcoming election.

it is a bit murky. a proposal to place the autour du rocher parcel in a green zone was rejected by the council. the hotel/bungalow project has been challenged in the courts, and is still under review. monsieur le président does state that he hopes the administrative tribunal rejects council's previous approval to proceed with plans to build, and that the property owner, at m. magras' urging, has reconsidered his position and abandoned the hotel project. when asked by the council opposition what the owner's plans would be, mme la vice-présidente simply stated "une villa". "une villa" could be a billionaire's compound for all we know. then, somewhat confusingly, m. magras states that the property owner has his approval from the council, and that if the court gives its consent, "ils réalise leur projet". but which project? villa? or hotel? this part may be more clear to a native speaker???

It would be really nice if the land of that peninsula were turned into a public park. Maybe the ruins could be kept & even illuminated at night (sort of like the Parthenon in Athens).

Perhaps add some modest development such as toilets and a small snack kiosk. It could make for a great picnic destination. And if it were a public park then it could occasionally be used for events like fireworks, concerts or movies under the stars.

Aside from beaches, St Bartz really lacks public spaces.