Restaurant reservations

WorldCat

SBH Member
Hi, my wife and I are returning Sunday to St. Barts for the first time since 1990. Back then, we wandered around during the day until we found a restaurant to try. Every restaurant had a sign up sheet posted out front and we simply signed up at the seating we desired.
I guess they don't use this system any longer (we loved it).
Do more restaurants require reservations, how far in advance and is there a list of phone numbers for reservations.
Thanks for the help. Can't wait to return.
Chris

Hi, my wife and I are returning Sunday to St. Barts for the first time since 1990. Back then, we wandered around during the day until we found a restaurant to try. Every restaurant had a sign up sheet posted out front and we simply signed up at the seating we desired.
I guess they don't use this system any longer (we loved it).
Do more restaurants require reservations, how far in advance and is there a list of phone numbers for reservations.
Thanks for the help. Can't wait to return.
Chris

WorldCat,

Reservations are appreciated at most places. Check out Kevin's Resto list at the top of this section of the forum or click below.

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/89722-Restos-18-Final

All the phone numbers you could want.

Have fun and report back!

Dennis,

Wow - what quick and comprehensive service. Certainly are a lot more than we remember.
Doing some study now on the forum to whittle it down.

Much appreciated.

Chris

:up:

Kevin performs this labor of love each year. The resto scene changes with the breezes, it seems.

Feel free to ask specific questions about any places that interest.

The gang will respond with some useful information, a bit of snide pokes and a dash of downright disdainfulness.

WorldCat, I miss the note pads on the doors too. That was a different time.

Reservations made days or weeks in advance are only necessary at certain peak times - for example some restaurants during Bucket Week, or Thanksgiving Dinner at Maya's. Most of the time a same-day reservation is adequate.

I make lunch and dinner reservations about 80% of the time, rarely farther out than the day before, but that's both as a courtesy to the restaurant/chef, and because I sometimes want a specific table. You should be fine with same-day reservations, and at most restaurants, no reservation at all. If there is that ONE restaurant that you absolutely must visit on that ONE night then absolutely book it farther in advance - they may already have a large group booked, or they may be closed on that night.

Bon Appétit!

World cat.....depending on the time of year you dont necessarily need a Rez....some in here would try to make you believe if you don't make a Rez you get black listed and given the worst table in the place and that is far from the truth .....we never make a Rez because we truly do not know where we want to eat usually and typically will do a pub crawl and just see where it takes us....that's how we roll and it's our vacation to do it how we want ....and whenever we walk in unreserved we are always met with a warm smile and taken to a great table ......but we do only go to the island in low season so that lends itself more to not needing a Rez then it does now

haven't been since 1990 eh?....you re in for a few surprises

We, too, miss the "sign-up boards". Reservations are always appreciated - even, as was said, and hour before (several nights ago I called at 6:30 for a reservation at 7:30 and when we got there every table was reserved - and when we left, several people were waiting outside.) Some popular places require reservations days in advance: Orega (very worthwhile!!) any night, La Plage for Saturday lunch, and Nikki's for Sunday afternoon (required several weeks in advance). Welcome back and enjoy!

Reservations are always appreciated - even, as was said, and hour before (several nights ago I called at 6:30 for a reservation at 7:30 and when we got there every table was reserved - and when we left, several people were waiting outside.)

tout à fait !

Right now at Eddys- no reservations taken.
Interesting. We went to Eddys 2nd night here, specifically because we knew (thought?) they didn't take reservations. In conversation with the waiter/waitress/server we mentioned that and were informed that "Oh we've accepted reservation's for the last 2 years". WT....?

Years ago, a long-gone favorite restaurant on SBH didn't take reservations. If you called them, the owner's daughter would sometimes answer the phone. She would always take a reservation as a courtesy to the caller, but never bothered to write them down.

We walked in (?) sort of at 6:45 and they seated us because. No reservations and none for the many 2s that followed at 7. There were groups of 5,6 and 7 that had reservations.

We concur with Kevin even though we make our reservations weeks in advance. Several days in advance works except for Orega, which is often booked out up to a week or more ahead.

Reservations are basically appreciated everywhere, and as noted above required during peak times Xmas/Bucket and even the last couple of weekends in Feb.