A Return To The Reef, III

Jim Kelly-Evans

Senior Insider
Wednesday morning I returned with my dive operator John Servetto of St. Barth Big Blue to the "Non-Stop" wreck, which I last visited two years ago. In the afternoon we dove Les Gros Islets, which is always easy and fun. John took the first photo of me. From the web site worldsbestdives.com: "The 200ft Nonstop, which was a luxury motor yacht, sank during hurricane Hugo, during September 1989. After unsuccessful salvage attempts, Nonstop now lies upside down. Many varied hard and soft corals have taken hold on the steel hull and the wreck is teeming with a large variety of reef fish."

jlkscuba16.jpg

P1140004.jpg

P1140011.jpg

P1140019.jpg

P1140021.jpg

P1140036.jpg

P1140042.jpg

P1140052.jpg

P1140091.jpg

P1140049.jpg

P1140034.jpg

So happy your health is allowing you to so something you love. It is apparent in your photos. kr

I have to ask since I have never scuba dived, about the colors in the underwater photos. Are the colors really that vibrant, or are they enhanced with the type of camera you use? Just stunning. Thanks for posting these.

I have to ask since I have never scuba dived, about the colors in the underwater photos. Are the colors really that vibrant, or are they enhanced with the type of camera you use? Just stunning. Thanks for posting these.

Yes, the colors are really vibrant. The problem for photographers is that seawater filters out most of the spectrum as you descend. There are a few strategies to deal with this. You can use flash, but that has its own set of problems. On the other hand, you can use a camera that allows you to at least partially compensate for the loss of color combined with computer-enhanced post-dive color correction. This is what I do.

Have only done that as a night dive...poke a light under the wreck, and the reflection from the horde of lobsters living there is amazing.