AIRPORT TRAFFIC SOARS TO 180,000 PASSENGERS LAST YEAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEK

Senior Insider
air.jpg

Good and bad news. The island to survive needs the business. The bad- the secret is getting out about the wonders of SBH!

Don't look at the picture, but at the numbers. Tradewind does about 40% of what St Barth Commuter does in SBH.

Winair 84,800 pax (SXM)
St Barth Commuter 38,400 pax (SXM, SFG, ANU, NEV, SJU, STT...)
Air Antilles 30,300 pax (PTP)
Tradewind 15,430 pax (SJU, STT, ANU, NEV)

Interesting to see the numbers compiled this way. Also of note with respect to the increased number of Tradewind passengers . . . I suspect that, with additional aircraft in its fleet, Tradewind has captured a greater percentage of the growing number of travelers to SBH. WinAir and SB Commuter, by contrast, are somewhat "capped" by their static plane numbers and permitted number of hours that pilots can fly.

. I suspect that, with additional aircraft in its fleet, Tradewind has captured a greater percentage of the growing number of travelers to SBH. WinAir and SB Commuter, by contrast, are somewhat "capped" by their static plane numbers and permitted number of hours that pilots can fly.

One could riposte that Tradewind's growth is capped by their comparatively very high fares.

Based on how many more departures on both ends they have added ever year, I wouldn't come to that conclusion.

Based on how many more departures on both ends they have added ever year, I wouldn't come to that conclusion.

It's not a conclusion but, I would suggest, a very reasonable possibility. Tradewind's fares are, I think, along the order of 4 to 6 times those of Winair or SB Commuter. Hard to justify for those of relatively modest means flying into SBH.

Distance makes a difference. Check fares to SJU and schedules from far flung places and it may not be as such as you think.

OK, facts only:

1. Scheduled services: the only route that both operators have in common is ANTIGUA (ANU) - ST BARTHS (SBH)

SBC: €300 EUR ($340 at today's exchange rate)
TWA: $495 USD

Booking simulations made for a one way flight ANU SBH on March 11th on operators websites.

2. Private Charter Services (one way rates)

SAN JUAN (SJU) - ST BARTHS (SBH)

SBC: €3,900 EUR ($4,400 USD)
TWA: $3,950 USD non holiday - $4,950 USD holiday

ST THOMAS (STT) - ST BARTHS (SBH)

SBC: €2,900 EUR ($3,280 USD)
TWA: $3,950 USD non holiday - $4,950 USD holiday

ANTIGUA (ANU) - ST BARTHS (SBH)

SBC: €1,400 EUR Low Season - €1,500 EUR High season ($1,590 USD - $1,700 USD)
TWA: $3,960 USD (8 seats on the Scheduled service, so as to "Privatize the flight").

SBC is all taxes & fees included, TWA is not.

It appears that TWA is substantially more expensive than SBC on most routes.

Wow, that's an interesting comment JEK! Obviously not a factual one, though.

I like you "moderating" skills! :triumphant:

Apples & Oranges?

Both operators provide quality service. The Pilatus and Caravan share similar features, such as single-engine Turbo-prop engine (Pratt & Whitney PT6 turbine), Certified Air Operator Certificate (TWA under FAA rules, SBC under EASA rules), and customer-friendly booking procedures. Highly-trained professionals, impeccable safety records, ... for both....

I don't see much of a difference here, and I know both very well, including their management team. But perhaps are you willing to further express your opinion on this? You might have personal experiences with each one of them?

Flown both for years. My point is that depending where one's flight originates in the US and one's schedule, the price difference may not be that great. I know people that fly one-way on one and the other way on the other.

I believe you are comparing SJU vs SXM?

You will notice that I haven't compared these routes against each other. For the simple reason that SBC and TWA do not compete on that particular segment: TWA is not flying between SXM and SBH.

The exercice of comparing both operators on the same competitive markets is far more interesting when it comes down to pricing (the purpose of this discussion). This can only be done for the same routes, as per the above comparison. And the price difference is sometimes substantial!

Convenience of routing is a different topic all together. As much as the preferred gateway is. Some will prefer SJU, some will prefer SXM, some will prefer ANU (and the brand new airport).

TWA has scheduled flights from SJU to SBH, SBC not. SBC has scheduled flights from SXM to SBH, TWA not.

If you don't compare SJU vs SXM, could you please explain how TWA would be competitive for the same service on the same routes? That is on the ANU SBH scheduled route and SJU SBH, STT SBH, and ANU SBH charter routes. Their price structure appears to be more expensive on these segments.

I believe that TWA can only be competitive against SBC (and yet this would need to be demonstrated with a factual example) if you compare scheduled service for SJU to SBH on Tradewind and scheduled service for SXM to SBH on St Barth Commuter in connection with itineraries originating in the continental US.

That is not the purpose of the comparison above. Apples with Apples.

On a side note, I have it on good authority that the French Civil Aviation Authorities (DSAC in Martinique) and the Eastern Caribbean Civil Aviation Authorities (ECCAA in Antigua) do not necessarily approve the use of 5th freedom of the air - ICAO rules when it comes to the ANU SBH and NEV SBH routes operated by Tradewind.

ANU, SBH, NEV are non-US territories and outside of the FAA's scope. In a similar scenario, SBC would start to fly between SJU and AXA (Anguilla), totally outside of their jurisdiction.

Not to enter this fray with something to make the apples and oranges more unequal - but in talking to island residents, they pay a substantially discounted fare (maybe 50%) - on Tradewind. So comparing SBC and TWA is even harder if you don't know how many of the TWA 15,000 residents are islanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.