Slavery on Saint-Barth

JEK

Senior Insider
Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 8.07.04 AM.jpg

"Slavery has stopped on the island of Saint-Barthélemy"
Acte of Justice, dated 28 December 1810. He mentioned import in Saint-Barthélemy

Friday, October 9 th is com- mémorée the end of slavery
St. Barthelemy. As a holiday, instead of 27 May, the day commemorating the end of slavery in Guadeloupe (and dependencies). It is the obstinacy of Richard Lédée that we owe this official recognition of the his- tory to our own island. It was indeed possession of the crown when it was proclaimed Swedish late
Friday, October 9th is celebrated the abolition of slavery
St. Barthelemy for the Swedish krona an island that would have remained on the sidelines. Exploring why all the funds have sué- the National Archives overseas to Aix-en-Provence. Also looking at the BNF, Paris, Guadeloupe, Basse-Terre. Or, everywhere in Sweden. Self-taught, with the means at hand. "I decided to make an inventory of everything I found on trafficking," says Richard Lédée. Knowing that "I still have plenty to see. I made pictures in the archives, I've never used, "he says. The result is compiled on this website passionate ing Memory St Barth. With a rigor which is that of many professionals. His site Memory St Barth is also referenced on the website of the Ministry of Overseas to present our island (Tab discover Overseas - St. Bartholomew - addresses and links). There are indeed amount of information for anyone wishing to know the history of St. Barts. From this angle of the slave trade, first. For example, the table of assessments slaves when they were bought by the Swedish crown to their owners. A process spread over more than a year, until October 8, 1847. That day, eight slaves are emancipated, after haggling between
owner and the evaluation committee established by the authorities. The 523rd and slave latter to regain freedom is a woman. She is 35 years old, named Marie-Francoise. Its owner pro- Garin is called Edouard. He asks 120 Spanish dollars. The evaluation committee sets its price at $ 100. Marie-Françoise will be delivered for four dollars Span- gnols more. The next day, October 9, 1847, the emancipated cater to the Swedish governor. Recognizing themselves: "slavery has ceased to exist forever on the island of St. Bartholomew." The site Memory St Barth also applies to the multiple other documents to discover the Swedish past - maps, plans, drawings and paintings, via Gusta- and the rest of the island. It even written a list of all kinds of St. Bartholomew. But also an inventory "interim" from the Swedish funds, Aix-en-Provence. A historian Fredrik Thomasson, as it has since begun to sift through this Swedish capital. With the means of Uppsala University who uses it. To scan all documents pertaining to our island archi- ved in Aix-en-Provence. A long-term undertaking, but which is already bearing fruit.
of "93 new ******s"
slavery in Saint-Barthélemy, October 9, 1847. There are three years to force multiple reminders from Richard Lédée, the state had finally lay the decree of October 9, making a holiday. Since then, the facilitator of the Liaison Committee for the application of historical sources (CLASH) and site administrator Memory St Barth (www.memoirestbarth.com) joking: "People interest me to tell me that on October 9, they have
struggling to keep their children. I advise them to send their CV to bank agencies in Gustavia, to get hired. To keep their children themselves, they will have two holidays: October 9 and 27 May. " For nearly five years, Richard Lédée has a passion for the archives of St. Bartholomew. Particularly those relating to the slave trade and slavery, down from myth
C
. Knowledge of the slave trade and slavery on our island has further advanced through the work of the academic Erik Thomasson.

This is an important part of the island's history that makes it what it is today. Slavery should have never happened anywhere and the people on SBH were wise to outlaw it early in comparison to other nearby islands.

A book that's been mentioned on this forum before, Julianne Maher's The Survival of People and Languages, does a great job summing up St. Barth's history, including its slave period. I really can't recommend that book enough. It has the rigor of an academic text and the accessibility of a novel.

Russell

the people on SBH were wise to outlaw it early in comparison to other nearby islands.

The translation above is not clear (Google?). The Crown of Sweden made it happen on St Barths in October 1847:

"Vendredi 9 octobre est célébrée l'abolition de l'esclavage à Saint-Barthélemy par la couronne suédoise".

But it's only on April 27th, 1848 that slavery was officially abolished in France and its territories ("Décret d'abolition de l'esclavage du 27 avril 1848").

St Barth was Swedish in 1847 (actually from 1784 until 1878) and not French, so slavery was abolished in St Barth before any of the French colonies...

that's why they want October 9 as the holiday in St Barth to set it apart from the French islands that have it on October 27...

No disagreement on my part that slavery was odious. But wanted to note that the French/Swedish emancipation was not on the early side. The English abolished slavery in 1833. French, Dutch and Spanish kept it longer though the French got it right before the others.

But wanted to note that the French/Swedish emancipation was not on the early side. The English abolished slavery in 1833. French, Dutch and Spanish kept it longer though the French got it right before the others.

Still better than the US: December 1865.