Le toiny vs Cheval Blanc

buckeyediane

this will be our first trip to st. bart's, we will be going the week of December 7. thoughts on the differences of these properties, please? thank you!

Welcome fellow Buckeye!

Beach at CB, no beach at LT

LT now owned by CB former owner with many changes coming, but not known in great detail.

LT more of a suite/villa layout, each with pool. CB more traditional rooms.

LT in most remote part of island and set on a bluff overlooking the sea.

CB built on the beach and closer to Gustavia.

Other will add more.

Toiny is undergoing a complete revamp. It's not on the beach although they are redoing the beach below. The rooms have their own pool. The restaurant is excellent. It is at the far end of the island so it's a drive to St Jean or Gustavia although not that far. Cheval Blanc is on a very nice Flamands Beach and is nice too. There are several restaurants within walking distance and St Jean is a 5 minute drive. Either one is a can't miss.

Diane, perhaps if you listed or described those things that will be important to you during your stay, those on the forum who are familiar with both établissements de luxe could help you better. ☺️

le toiny vs cheval blanc

so...i am not really sure what matters to us. :) we've been to anguilla, the bvi's and turks. we love the beach and nice restaurants but the reality of the way we vacation is we get a car and zip around to various beaches, exploring.
we have special needs kids at home so get away only for 4 nights once a year, but when i do i like someone waiting on me, cause when i get home i am cook, maid, nurse, etc etc.
clean rooms, a little luxury, a decent cup of coffee. eh, we sound so boring. :)

Well, then I recommend the Eden Rock hotel. More centrally located for exploring the island and the coffee is great :)

thanks

Well, then I recommend the Eden Rock hotel. More centrally located for exploring the island and the coffee is great :)

oh great, thanks! I'll look into that! this has always been an 'off week' wherever we went but it seems like that is not the case here.

well, you had me at 'coffee is great', so thank you very much!

Great luxury service, beachside restaurant, umbrellas and chaises.

image.jpg

Toiny is more remote and until you get familiar with driving there, traveling can be a little unnerving after dark. Cheval Blanc is right on the beach, a nice walking beach, and more central to other restaurants and to Gustavia. With it being your first visit, I would choose Cheval Blanc b/c it's more central. It won't be your last trip there. It's addicting. We will be there at the same time as you, celebrating our 24th anniversary. We're staying in a villa above Shell Beach. If you have questions about the island while there, you're welcome to contact me. This will be our 8th trip to the island. We love it. Happy planning!

Have you looked at any villas?

Forgive me if you already know this, but on St Barts there are many villas that rent for much cheaper than some of the hotels.

There is a beach below Le Toiny, but it sometimes has a nasty rip current. I do not recommend swimming on that beach. Leave it for the local surfers who know the waters.

Most of the rooms at Cheval Blanc are in gardens across the (very quiet) road from the main building and the beach.

Eden Rock is a good suggestion, centrally located, and the equal of Le Toiny and Cheval Blanc.

Of the three, I've stayed at Eden Rock on one of my infrequent hotel (vs. villa) stays, and that is the one hotel of the three which I would most likely stay at on my next upscale hotel visit.

Eden Rock also has the advantage of two restaurants, one more casual than the other, which gives you a choice without leaving the property... and there are plenty of shops within walking distance...

You might also look at the Guanahani Hotel, There are two beaches and always a lot of activity- wind surfing, sea doo rentals, reef snorkeling and good restaurants nearby all on the beach. Between le Toiny and CB, we recommend CB- right on the beach but it is a drive down a step hill to the hotel each day.

I've stayed at both, LT 3 times, and prefer LT as far as the rooms (size and layout) , pool, privacy, and overall service are concerned. On my last trip to the island, we had our villa for the week but extended the trip by staying at LT for a couple of nights on the front end and CB (IDF) on the back. No doubt the beach is a huge plus for CB, but you'll be wandering around to assorted beaches while there, to me, reducing the benefit that might be.

When we tested SBH, we stayed at Emeraude Plage. Clean and nice. On the water. If I had to do a short stay again, I would book at the Normandie. Super owner!

Diane, your situation is similar to ours. We have our hands full at home with five kids and try to do one four night trip just for the two of us each year. In two weeks we are making our third trip to Le Toiny. We always arrive Monday and leave Friday because it's easiest to be away when the kids are in school. Le Toiny is wonderful. The villas are beautiful and very, very private. Each has a real pool. While there we love driving around the island visiting beaches, great lunches, out to dinner etc. But getting back to Le Toiny each afternoon is great. You will love breakfast delivered to your terrace. Best beaches are Saline, Gouvernor and Columbier (a nice hike). Recommend long lunches at La Gloriette on the beach, Santa Fe, Sand Bar at Eden Rock. Relax, have fun, skinny dip, you deserve it!

Also, on our first trip we originally planned on Eden Rock but eventually stayed at Le Toiny. So glad we did. Eden Rock is very special, but it's in a very busy area, right on the road. Lots of action all around. We love it and have been there for lunch and dinner, but it's too busy for us and a romantic getaway. Le Toiny is really special.