Seychelles vs Maldives?

davesmom

Senior Insider
Bonjour! I am doing some research for a possible 40th anniversary celebration and I have always been interested in the Seychelles and the Maldives. I spent a week in Bora Bora and it was gorgeous but kind of bora boring after awhile. (I'm OK with not shopping..I get my fix in SBH!)

I really would prefer to go to Laucala Island as it is super private but not sure DD would want to spring for that (or for that yacht rental I was considering..lol)..it is the ideal place with golf, too..I read about the Gili Lankanfushi Maldives and it sounded pretty nice. But it is all SOOO far away, and I am not even sure the best route from California to get there. My Swedish friend loved the Six Senses in the Seychelles, I think but she was with her semi grown kids. Not that interested to be around a ton of kids but I love them under most circumstances. We do not scuba but we do snorkel, so pretty much any of those places would be good for that, I imagine.

If you have any advice, it would be very welcome to know your experiences, or any other resorts, such as Bali that might be really cool to visit.

Merci from Davesmom

Maldives is very amazing place, just like French Polynesia. The best atolls are simply perfect and the seaplane is a great addition to the trip.

10427338_10152596604659713_2790331318431031327_n.jpg

.. but unless you are a big diver, you'll probably feel bora bored there as well eventually.

We've been to Mauritius which has a bit more activities but not yet to Seychelles. We might be in Tanzania, Madagaskar or Congo later this year and if so, we'll probably drop by in Seychelles as it's so close.

How about some smaller island on Fiji or Mozambique?

Petri,
What is your itinerary from 12/27- 1/23? We plan on being in a lot of different places :)

How nice of you to all respond! I do agree, both seem like a very similar place to Bora Bora, but it seemed so beautiful, we were thinking it would be something that we have not done. Fiji is another of our interests for sure, too. There are so many possibilities in the world, and we certainly have a lot to learn! We have not gone to Africa, which many people we know swear by..I guess I probably have to take it into consideration, too. I'd prefer to do that when Dave can come, too, but somebody in this family has to work! Love the float planes! I am sure I would love that part of the trip for sure. Looks like I will definitely have to pack less..I'd need one of those planes for my luggage alone! I'll go to your links and give it a go..I looked on tripadvisor, but I know that most people on the site have some excellent experience which is more personal when you know what SBH is about and you love it, too. Merci beaucoup!

DM,

When you are ready to explore Africa, contact Jane Lee Winter at Town and Country Travel in Thousand Oaks, CA. We have gone with her twice on safari (she and her husband go on every trip along with 9 other couples) and she never disappoints.

http://www.countrytravel.com

Petri,
What is your itinerary from 12/27- 1/23? We plan on being in a lot of different places :)

Let's see if we can match schedule somewhere, you are going around with admirable pace :)

We need to finish our flights in Africa this autumn and I'm not that much into buying yet another around the world ticket so it's up to the Australian immigration to decide if we'll head east or north.. or maybe Laura has an opinion.. also need to check if we got anything from the green card lottery :)

davesmom said:
We have not gone to Africa, which many people we know swear by..

Africa is our favourite continent. We are right now in an amazing place in Tasmania and funny enough, this reminded us of a lodge in Zimbabwe that was just as amazing experience. So many places in Africa combine the amazing wildlife and nature with such a hospitality and friendly people that it is very different from any other destination. Travelling there can be a bit weary but it has always been worth it and one always wants to go back.

Here's a good web site for ideas and to inspire the travels:

http://www.africaodyssey.com/beaches

Last year when we went to Zimbabwe we booked the basics through them. We knew where to go already but our itinerary required some charter flights that flew only twice a week and many lodges don't take direct reservations as they are so small and isolated. Most people need some sort of transport anyway, we've only driven in South Africa and Namibia ourselves.

We first heard about Mozambique in Namibia. We were driving in central and north of the country and wanted to visit Fish River Canyon and Luderitz (and Kolmanskop) as well -- but it was such a long drive just for those places so we rent a small Cessna for the day. It felt like taking a long-haul flight in a small Cessna :) The pilot mentioned that Mozambique was the destination they'd go for beaches. Mozambique has 2500 km of coastline of mainly sandy beach and two beautiful archipelagos.