California Water Woes

JEK

Senior Insider
A startling fact from the article!

Across the state, a quarter of a million homes still lack meters, many in the dry Central Valley, Gleick said. Occupants of those homes pay a flat monthly fee for water — or nothing at all, in a few cases — because there’s no way to track how much they use, he said.
“It’s a historical artifact of when we had plenty of water, the way the state developed,” Gleick said. “Even with this waste, even with this inefficient system . . . everybody got the water they wanted. That’s no longer true.”
Sacramento stands out because the city barred meter installation — not wanting to raise water rates — until the state overrode the legislation in 2004. Today, more than 60,000 homes and businesses there lack water meters, the most non-metered properties of any city in the state. City officials hope to add 16,000 meters by 2016 to the 74,000 it installed over the last 10 years.
Full article

http://wapo.st/1IO65Ib

Here's the deal, people. These water woes are 90% the problem of large, commercial farms, especially the almond growers, who use the water. Non commercial water use is about 10% of the issue. It is easier for the journalists to rag on the people who are homeowners because they all know that the commercial farm lobby is untouchable. Plus, the easiest people to rag on are those who are national targets, who have larger properties. It is so much easier for journalists to throw rocks than to tell the truth when they have not even spent a day with a homeowner in true journalistic integrity.

I personally LOVE local farmers and support every local one I can find, but it is not they who are wasting tons of water. We do need food, no question, but I am guessing a large part of the crops are being exported to make a ton for people who do not live or work in California. Most homeowners I know here are very careful about their water use, no matter the size of their property or home, and everyone is really trying out here to save water, because I assure you, after living through some wicked fires in 2007 (and many others before for people who have been here longer), evacuations, home losses to friends, we are the last people wasting water in our neighborhoods.

So don't listen to the garbage out there, where journalists are taking free pot shots at people. As always, do your own research and go back to the source. And tell the truth.

Oh, absolutely!!! No question about it. Where is the California govt.? Oh, that's right..Sacramento!

Just a side note, our power bill from SGDE includes..sit down..at LEAST $400 per month EXTRA that goes to a fund to pay for other people's power. I almost dropped dead when I researched the bill when I first moved here. I am happy to help any old, sick, infirm, or injured person, but I have no idea where this extra money is going. It is approved by the Public Service Commission, so I have no recourse to donate this required money to the people who would benefit most from it. Go research where your power bill $$ is going..and then have a Rhum Vanille..

My in laws are very happy they spend their summers back east in our ski condo
This is only going to get worse

All I can say is that when the Santa Ana winds start blowing their hot air from the Desert, I used to enjoy it. Now I just get scared and start watching the sky for fires. We had some kind of close last year and other than illness, it is pretty much the scariest thing going. Fires move fast in these hills and I keep some photos packed up permanently in suitcases, in case we have to run.

Just a thought - in Australia, the common wisdom was alawys to put things inside the oven in case of a sudden bushfire as it has some of the best thermal protection easily available. Never had to test it out bit intuitively it makes sense.

As an ex-Californian resident though, I agree farming is in large part the issue. LA for example is really a desert but it just never behaved that way.

Thank you so much for your response, infi. I am dying to go to Australia, that beautiful country! I do sympathize greatly with your plight there and we do follow the news when we hear of your country having similar issues with fires. I have lived through tornadoes and hurricanes, but fires are a whole 'nother deal. That is quite the interesting "take" on fire protection, and of course, makes very logical sense, at least as much as having a safe, which is basically like a big oven that doesn't cook! Glad you have never tested that one out, however.

SAN is a semi-arid desert, but nobody actually thinks much about it as such until it gets hot. None of us should be the least bit surprised, no more so than people who build on riverbanks where it rains a lot. Let's hope for rain (we were supposed to get some today but not so far in this area..some was very near, though) and that people clean out their brush near their house as best as possible, but the hills here are full of it and we can't do much about that.

Hope to finally get to Australia some day..all the Australians I have ever met are delightful and very good party-ers! Best of luck to have a no fire season! DM

Thank you - Sydney has had a heap of rain this autumn (fall) so we are fine. Of course it then depends on spring as if it get hot early all that foliage dries and becomes a danger. Anyway, wish I could send some your way as we have had enough. We have a saying down here that when God retires he is coming to Australia for his retirement. We do feel like the lucky country here.

Many moons ago, we lived out west and are glad we don't now. We enjoy the spirits of NAPA from afar and have lots of water in which to swim, boat and drink!

Well, I must say, speaking from Paradise, except for the fires (no tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.) which are rare, every day's a good day out here, so stbartshopper, you should come back out and visit!
Napa is a lot of fun, and for the most part, we are not having any real noticeable water problems out here that are any different from before. It never rains much and except for May and June, we rarely have any real clouds at all. Actually in May and June, it is more clear by the coast than it is a few miles away up in the hills. Interesting phenomenon, actually. I think that the press really riles up the populace about the water, and I do think going inland, there are many more water problems than we have near the coast. They are doing a lot to modify some of the golf courses, putting some parts that are not really in play back to natural/sand land, and others are using recycled water to water them. But you can play all year round, and we are without all of the hassle of winter, unless you want to drive a little, and when it snows up in the mountains, people get all excited. So you can have your cake and eat it, too!! Hope you have a wonderful summer in Indianapolis! We have some friends here who apparently own car dealerships there and they go back and forth and love it there, too.

A startling fact from the article!

Across the state, a quarter of a million homes still lack meters, many in the dry Central Valley, Gleick said. Occupants of those homes pay a flat monthly fee for water — or nothing at all, in a few cases — because there’s no way to track how much they use, he said.
“It’s a historical artifact of when we had plenty of water, the way the state developed,” Gleick said. “Even with this waste, even with this inefficient system . . . everybody got the water they wanted. That’s no longer true.”
Sacramento stands out because the city barred meter installation — not wanting to raise water rates — until the state overrode the legislation in 2004. Today, more than 60,000 homes and businesses there lack water meters, the most non-metered properties of any city in the state. City officials hope to add 16,000 meters by 2016 to the 74,000 it installed over the last 10 years.
Full article

http://wapo.st/1IO65Ib

Interesting that even with the shortage California exports massive amounts of water.

In talking to some owners of small California wineries, they don't seem to be too concerned about the dry spell in California. They explain that grapes need very little water and as a matter of fact arid weather is good for growing. Those that plan to break even in their wine ventures and have really made a real estate play think differently as lack of water for them is a serious issue on future land values.

Oh, absolutely!!! No question about it. Where is the California govt.? Oh, that's right..Sacramento!

Just a side note, our power bill from SGDE includes..sit down..at LEAST $400 per month EXTRA that goes to a fund to pay for other people's power. I almost dropped dead when I researched the bill when I first moved here. I am happy to help any old, sick, infirm, or injured person, but I have no idea where this extra money is going. It is approved by the Public Service Commission, so I have no recourse to donate this required money to the people who would benefit most from it. Go research where your power bill $$ is going..and then have a Rhum Vanille..

And the Democrats have controlled CA for how long?

the $400 is extra? How big is your damn bill? or house?

Oh, Fred, don't get me started about our CA govt....I try to stay apolitical but it is hard out here. Power is very expensive in CA, I can tell you that, no matter how big your house is.

Just a side note, our power bill from SGDE includes..sit down..at LEAST $400 per month EXTRA that goes to a fund to pay for other people's power. I almost dropped dead when I researched the bill when I first moved here..

Hmmm, our electricity bill is about 560€ = $650 .. a year.