Dollar Euro

Maybe the merchants will reprice in dollar denominations. May reflect their costs more accurately.

Yes, and there is pressure for the villas to be priced in Euros... especially now as there is a big marketing effort toward South America and other growing markets....

In fact, Ellen . . . please correct me if I'm wrong -- but, I think the fact that villas generally are priced in $$$ is an anachronism dating back to early days (70s) of the villa rental business, which has been somewhat uncomfortably tolerated by local government authorities.

Very little since they don't use or support the Euro.

I'm aware of that but I saw an article some time ago that being a member of the EU gives England lots of trade perks which could disappear and affect the euro markets.

England is really pushing to get out the EU. I wonder what that will do to the euro?

A good read on the topic: http://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-left-the-eu-europe-politics-economy-culture

"On one thing the two sides agree. The fact that Britain is not a member of the single currency would make exit easier than it would be for, say, the Netherlands or France. There would be no need to switch currencies or to redenominate debts from euros into sterling. The Bank of England would set interest rates, as it does now."

Our Villa is also priced in $. For a change, SBH will be more reasonable when the old credit card bill arrives post trip!

Let's just hope this continues - at least for several months!!! (will be a nice change from the $1.45 of a year ago.) Though I understand it hurts those merchants and villa owners who have to purchase
items from the US.

So nice to see this change of events. We remember the day of the French Franc (before the Euro) and better exchange rates. It's our turn again!!!! YAY!!!

In fact, Ellen . . . please correct me if I'm wrong -- but, I think the fact that villas generally are priced in $$$ is an anachronism dating back to early days (70s) of the villa rental business, which has been somewhat uncomfortably tolerated by local government authorities.

Dennis, I'm trying to understand if villas are really or only nominally priced is dollars. Maybe it depends if the owner is American or French. If I were French and I lived in euros I would want to protect my euro flow. If the euro rose against the dollar I would raise the nominal dollar rate to protect my euro flow. Now, were I a cynic, if the dollar rose against the euro would I lower my nominal dollar rates or reap the windfall??? I'm monitoring a modest property listed on Sibarth, where they quote in dollars and euros, to see if I can determine which is the case. So far, as the dollar has strengthened since my test began, they've raised the dollar quote...just the opposite of of the exchange trend. I assume that was just a general price increase, but the rate went up 5% in dollars and 10% in euros.

Cass . . . is this test with respect to a rental property or one for sale? I don't recall seeing rental rates that change with any regularity, apart from season-to-season. (Of course, I'm generally thinking of places that are listed with rental agencies . . . if an owner has his / her own website and isn't tied to constraints of an agency website, it would be easier to make frequent changes.) If a "for sale" property, I would not be surprised to see periodic increases in a listed sale price . . . sales activity on the island is increasing, and my sense is that sale prices (list & close) are going higher (Steve Martin's place notwithstanding!).

Dennis, for the test I rather randomly selected villa BRO on Sibarth site. Sibarth since they quote in dollars and euros. This is a modestly priced rental unit in a complex in Les Hauts de Saint-Jean.

There's no doubt euro should fall against US dollar during this year. US economy is doing better and the dollar gets more expensive, and the European economy needs cheaper euro.

What comes to the UK, the issues with them and European Union are political, not economical. It's hard for a former British Empire to accept that Germany rules Europe. European Union is not evil, it's a try to build "United States of Europe", mission impossible is closer than evil :)

Interesting, Cass. It's a condo at Les Terrasses. I've stayed in units there a number of times and like them . . . they're comfortable, private, quiet, and well priced as rentals. I think the property, however, suffers from some deferred maintenance. Nonetheless, I've often thought that buying a unit there would be a good investment. The pool is fantastic (allegedly the largest pool on the island) . . . and the views are hard to match elsewhere on the island.

A funny story about being in one of the units. Generally speaking, the one bedroom units have two rooms + bathroom + terrace with outdoor, covered kitchen area. Entry into the units through sliding glass doors takes you into one of the "two rooms," the bathroom being on one side and the other room at the opposite side. The time that I'm recalling saw the bedroom as the room inside the door . . . with the other room being the "salon."

During the night, I couldn't sleep because I thought it was just so weird to have to walk through the bedroom to get into the living room. So, I got up in the middle of the night and moved all the bedroom furniture into the other room . . . and the living room furniture into the entry room. (It wasn't easy . . . there were some heavy pieces!)

The next day, Anne Dentel -- formerly with Sibarth for many years -- called to say that the maid had told her that I had made some changes and asked if she could come to see the unit. "Of course," I said. Anne showed up with a bottle of wine and said, "well, let's see what you've done." As we drank wine and contemplated the arrangement, Anne -- iin amazement -- concluded that I was correct in my redesign of the place and took pictures to send to the owners of the unit. They liked it . . . and as far as I know it remains in the rearranged plan today.

I wouldn't recommend following my example . . . in retrospect, it was presumptuous of me to do so. In the end, however, I slept well for the duration of my stay . . . and there was a happy ending!