Sargassum Update Request

And we mostly all have cars to use. Your favorite beach is unappetizing, get in the car and discover one more to your liking.

Mother Nature will do her thing and by golly, we can live with it and explore new destinations.

Sometimes pearls, sometimes seaweed:

"Have no mean hours, but be grateful for every hour, and accept what it brings. The reality will make any sincere record respectable. No day will have been wholly misspent, if one sincere, thoughtful page has been written.

Let the daily tide leave some deposit on these pages, as it leaves sand and shells on the shore. So much increase of terra firma. This may be a calendar of the ebbs and flows of the soul; and on these sheets as a beach, the waves may cast up pearls and seaweed."

Henry David Thoreau, 07/06/1840

His musings on seaweed as "a fit invention for Neptune to adorn his car with, or a freak of Proteus" and (with reference to a Longfellow poem) drifting weed as "symbols of those grotesque and fabulous thoughts which have not yet got into the sheltered coves of literature" can be found in his excursion book "Cape Cod" here at (13)... my preference is still better summed up in this more recent bumper sticker from the Cape that uses an additional name to those cited by Thoreau for the weed that shows up every August:

nomung.jpg

What a complicated process to share photos! Might be easier just to fly down to SBH and all see for ourselves! Here are all the locations from my photos, in order:

No idea why they didn't work for you as I added them using the photo icon.

Thanks Andy. It's weird how the display is different on my screen. Mine are all in a column.

For JEK - how does one see the file names on a Mac? I tried "right clicking" on the touch pad, but couldn't make it work

All depends on the width of the browser window.

As you scroll down leave the cursor on the picture and the image name will appear.

As you scroll down leave the cursor on the picture and the image name will appear.

Perfect, thanks! :up:

Now what's the trick to make the address on a link come up? On a PC if you put the cursor over a link, the address of the link with appear in the lower left corner of the screen. How do you see the link address on a Mac?

I'm talking about something different.

Say you were reading an article with lots of highlighted words in the text (links to other sites), on the PC if you hover the cursor over a highlighted word, it will show you what the address of the site is that you'd land on if you clicked the link. Can you do that on the Mac?

The good news from reading all of this is the Sargassum situation seems to be better on the island, particularly where the Collectivite is keeping the beaches clean as best possible.

And we mostly all have cars to use. Your favorite beach is unappetizing, get in the car and discover one more to your liking.

Mother Nature will do her thing and by golly, we can live with it and explore new destinations.

Amen Amy!

:up::up:

What about "our beaches", Grande Saline and Gouverneur?

My information is becoming quite dated by now, but when I was on-island (the week before Christmas) Gouverneur was covered with sargassum but there was an effort being made to remove it--similar machinery as in the photo from Shell Beach, but larger. No such effort on Saline, as you can imagine, though there didn't appear to be as much sargassum onshore at the moment. It's a race because more washes up every day. You have to remove it faster than it arrives. Here's a photo of some of the seaweed just floating offshore from St. Martin, waiting to wash up. Same scene offshore St. Barth, of course.

DSC_0248.JPG

Gouverneur and Saline are perfectly clean, with no seaweed to mention, I will post pictures as soon as we are at home on Wednesday. Anse de Cayes is bad, Shell beach fine.

Daniela- That is good news on Saline and Gouverneur. We are looking forward to your photos. Would love others to keep the Sargassum reports updated for each beach as you make your visits to the island. We are t minus 26 days and counting!

The sargassum situation seems to have no predictability to where it appears on the island. One day this week St. Jean bay was crystal clear and the next day it was murky with seaweed, only to be clear again the next day. Gouverneuer beach was splendid yesterday. Overall, the island is windier than is typical, but as warm, magical and beautiful as ever.

p.s. Merci for the Thoreau quote.