Rosé Shortage in the Hamptons

KevinS

Senior Insider
Oh the horror!

From the New York Post:

Good luck finding your favorite bottle of rosé in the Hamptons this weekend — or any pink vino for that matter. We hear rumblings that restaurants and wine shops are low on local favorite Wölffer Estate, as well as imports like Domaines Ott and Chateau d’Esclans’ Whispering Angel, because the summering hordes have been tirelessly swilling all season long.

Full story at http://pagesix.com/2014/08/27/rose-running-dangerously-low-in-the-hamptons/

Plenty still here....:eagerness:

They ll just have to run to their medicine cabinets and cope with the horror if it all

Rosé has become a big seller in PA. My local Wine and Spirit Shoppe has entire racks up front devoted to it.

Wow, good thing I will be in St Tropez this weekend then.....assuming there's still some left there ! :cool:

An article of this very subject. In 15 years, rosay, as a percentage of total wine consumption in France, has gone from 10% to 30%. In two months of this summer, the article states, half of the total production of Provençal rosays has been consumed.

10410445_702907609808324_4021535295527495412_n.jpg

I actually found a whole case of WA at my Total Wine shop last Friday. :up: They tried to talk me into something else, but I politely declined. WA was enjoyed by all at the tailgate Saturday afternoon.

C

Our Costco just recently got Whispering Angel back in - $16. It had been over a year- seems like it's seasonal/annual with them or something.

I have found a new Rose I love. Hecht Bannier from Provence is a slight bit heavier than WA but it is really tasty. Price on Nantucket is 19/bottle so it has to be less on the main land. The thing I REALLY like about this bottle is that the "cork" is made of glass. Works like a stopper. Great bottle to keep around after drinking for keeping chilled water in the fridge or using for vinaigrettes etc. Sorry I can't post a picture but I am sure someone can. Cheers! KR

THAT'S THE ONE KEVIN. THANKS FOR THE ASSIST. I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN KNOWING WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS WINE. KR

we have that in PTown and I did try it...14.99 as I recall and yes I liked it....it astounds me how many different French roses are now available in P Town

The Hecht et Bannier rosay de Provence is very nice. We met Gregory Hecht at a pouring this summer, and I gather that they're a négociant/éleveur rather than a grower. Their range of wines from the Languedoc and Provence is nicely done on the whole. Whispering Angel is the bottom cuvée of the prestigious Ch. d'Esclans range of rosays, so I'm not sure I'd make it the rosay reference point, but I think the H et B is roughly its qualitative equal. $20 here in the hinterlands of nowhere.