Need to know about the tipping expectations/culture

Turtle Dean

SBH Member
Looking foward to coming to St. Barths again after a few years and staying at Eden Rock. Would appreciate "tips" about the customs around tipping/gratuities. For example, we know abour the "pour boire" custom at restaurants. What about about things like beach staff, housekeeping, taxi's, airport vip service? Does St. Barths have the same tipping culture as other Caribbean islands. Thanks for your advice and past experience!

Welcome to the forum Turtle Dean! Lots of good info here...take a look at the Timeless Tips forum here and/or plug in a search on tipping and you'll find a wealth of information. Then if you still,have a question that hasn't been answered throw it out here and you'll get the answer.

..Just do what you feel like doing....I happen to pretty much do what I do in the states if I am going to go back and expect "great" service...Tips in cash direct to the server of course......

in most cases 5% is perfectly fine... but I think the do as you feel is a good thought, but no one expects 20% like in the US... you really don't have to do that unless it's been a 5-star dinner with 5-star service, that's my 2 cents...

I agree with Ellen, but I'm on the 10% side. Always is cash €€€.
As for maids, I like the 10€ per room, per day rule. More if they wash and iron :)

I agree with Ellen, but I'm on the 10% side. Always is cash €€€.
As for maids, I like the 10€ per room, per day rule. More if they wash and iron :)

We don't differ by a lot on this subject. I think that we may also agree on Bonus Maid Champagne for holidays.

I like to offer a glass of bubbly on the first arrival for cleaning. Sets a certain tone.

We agree with Ellen also- people are happy with 5%, sometimes a little more and we always leave it in cash, not as an add on to the credit card. Somebody once told us that the server may not get it if it is added on?

We agree with Ellen also- people are happy with 5%, sometimes a little more and we always leave it in cash, not as an add on to the credit card. Somebody once told us that the server may not get it if it is added on?
Most places don't have an add-on for credit card.