• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Non-restaurant tipping

JulesKY

SBH Member
So now I've figured out restaurant tipping and tipping the housekeeper. What is the custom for tipping for things like spa services? We also booked a snorkeling excursion- is a tip for the boat crew expected? It makes me miss Japan- no tipping anywhere, for anything. So much less complicated.

as a Captain of a fishing excursion boat I dont accept tips at all.....but my mates do and they expect it....however if the mate does nothing but sit and stare out at the ocean the whole time than forget it....we expect our mates to be helpful, entertaining and a key component to the overal experience on the boat..and if they are all that they typically do very well with tips....and dates from daughters of families who come out too:devillaugh:

I know that..but she asked about tipping on a snorkeling excursion boat trip which is essentially the same thing.....

Initially, we always tipped well (at least 20%) because I get the impression that pay on the island is not great, but the cost of living is high.

MikeR, with regard to boats -- we always tipped the crew, but what sort of numbers would be reasonable? When we last did a sunset cruise, I remember it being around $500.00 for our group. $100.00 seem high (although we are really pleased with the crew on one of them and I believe the tip may have been that amount).

Also, what is the best way to do it? Assuming two or three people working the boat. Do you tip each of them individually?

our 3 hour charter cost $1500 and the mates typically get 50 to a 100 bucks...but we may have out as many as 50 people ( although 30ish is more normal ).....tip them individually....strange things happen to money sometimes when the Captain is given the tip and told to give it to the crew....if you get my drift

It makes me miss Japan- no tipping anywhere, for anything. So much less complicated.

Tipping in Japan is great. Never get tired of them running after you to return the money, run a bit faster or see if they follow you to the metro :triumphant:

Just kidding..

Same in China -- they will chase you out to the taxi if you leave even a coin or two.