• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Passport Question

Mark M.

SBH Member
This may seem self evident but here is the question. My 19 year old daughter's passport expires in November of this year. We are traveling to SB for 9 days in August. I vaguely recall something about traveling with a passport with less than six months "term". Is there an issue?

I may just have her get it renewed but she's at college the passport is at home so there are some minor issues.

Thanks.

I don't know about the 6 month rule but the renewal forms are online and you can mail the renewal and get it back way before August.

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2012-04-10_at_10.12.41_AM.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2012-04-10_at_10.12.41_AM.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 125
You should check the requirements for entering SXM and SBH. With a passport expiring in less than 6 months entry may be denied. (It happened to me when going to Prague from Franfurt. I ended up in Paris, it was not an issue)

I've looked at several French governement and embassy websites, and don't see a 6-month requirement listed.

In SBH, the website of the St Barth Tourism Committee says "All American and Canadian citizens arriving in Saint Barth must have a valid passport, as well a round-trip ticket or proof of continuation of travel. A visa is not necessary if the intended stay on the island is inferior to, or equal to, 30 days.
However, the passport must be valid and not expire for at least three months from the date of entry to the territory of St Barthélemy."

Link

I've not heard of anyone being turned away because there passport expired in less than 3 (or 6) months - in fact, I've heard that on some days there isn't even anyone checking passports on arrival. That being said, I would hate to hear that your daughter was the first to be turned away.

If it were me travelling I would renew my passport early.

FWIW. We renew passports and other stuff about a year before they expire, just to be safe.

If doable, online is fine. If not, as in passport and person are in two different locations, have individual pick up a form from local post office or municipal authority, fill out, have signature notarized, send back paper to holder of passport, have them write check and send old passport & paper (certified mail) to wherever they do the renewal.

There are also expedited services. But cost and proximity to service can be an issue.

Just renewed mine, did not use expidited and used regular mail, total turnaround was about 18 days

Hmmmm. A slow down in the postal service and outsourced passport processing? My last renewal, by simple mail a couple years ago, took under 10 days.

We just returned from the BVI and our passports expire in September. Immigration gave us a look and the reminder speech that they are due to expire. I would get it renewed as soon as she gets home from school.

Charlotte