How I Spent My Summer of Riesling, by Terroir

JEK

Senior Insider
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/06/dining/06tipsy.html?emc=eta1
On June 21 the sommelier and restaurateur Paul Grieco did something mischievous, idealistic, provocative, ornery and, in its way, rather sweet. Which is to say he summed up, in one sweeping gesture, what makes him such an indelible character in the New York dining and drinking scene.

He revised the menus at his two Terroir wine bars in downtown Manhattan so that anyone interested in a white by the glass would be channeled — nay, forcefully herded — in a certain direction.

Chardonnay? Not an option, unless you were in for a whole bottle. Sauvignon blanc? Same deal, along with verdicchio, sémillon, grüner veltliner. In their stead you could order riesling, riesling or, if those didn’t appeal, riesling. And that will remain so through Sept. 22, when Mr. Grieco ends what he calls the Summer of Riesling, an act of evangelism for a grape he worships and a distillation of his idiosyncratic ways.On June 21 the sommelier and restaurateur Paul Grieco did something mischievous, idealistic, provocative, ornery and, in its way, rather sweet. Which is to say he summed up, in one sweeping gesture, what makes him such an indelible character in the New York dining and drinking scene.

I'm fine with dry Riesling. Firestone Vineyards makes a nice one. I detest Sweet Rieslings.

We've been to Terroir.....and it's true Grieco loves his riesling.

I highly recommend the original restaurant that brought together the characters who put together Terroir. It's called Hearth and it's an absolute gem. Delicious, wonderfully prepared food with an Italian bent. A real gem. Not foo-foo in the slightest. The wine list is a very fun read.