Kara & Bob: Couple Serves Up A Drastic Career Change

JEK

Senior Insider
Monday, September 21, 2009

1253802047-Brooks__Kara.jpg
1253802054-Brooks__Robert_A.jpg

Kara and Robert Brooks, of Eastford in Connecticut’s Northeast Corner, were inspired to open the Still River Café three years ago after writing a book about chefs who own restaurants in the French West Indies.

Couple Serves Up A Drastic Career Change

Former corporate litigators make transition to restaurant business

By DOUGLAS S. MALAN

Attorneys Kara and Robert Brooks had a dilapidated 150-year-old barn on their Eastford property in northeastern Connecticut for several years before they figured out what to do with it. A workshop for Bob? A basketball court for their sons?

Instead, they decided on building a restaurant. For the past three years, the Brookses have been operating the Still River Café in the remodeled and modern barn that stands several feet from their house.

But it’s no typical small eatery. Bob’s lifelong dedication to gardening and Kara’s love of cooking define the restaurant. She cooks what he grows in the one-acre organic garden, and the restaurant’s menu is an upscale reflection of their hard work.

Set in a town of fewer than 2,000 people in Windham County, the Still River Café isn’t exactly easily accessible, so the Brookses have relied on their culinary skills to attract crowds. “We’ve tried to create a destination restaurant for people around New England,” said Kara.

She describes the menu, which changes daily, as innovative Seasonal American cuisine, featuring quail, lobster, rabbit and lamb, along with various dishes based on produce Bob grows. “We like French cooking techniques and Italian sensibilities,” said Kara, noting the restaurant’s reliance on fresh local foods.

The most popular feature at the restaurant is a 10-course chef’s tasting menu, featuring dishes such as egg custard and caviar, Georges Bank cod and escargot ravioli.

But for two former corporate litigators, there’s more to the story than that.

The idea for the restaurant was hatched during a trip several years ago to St. Barthélemy, an island in the French West Indies. Bob was taking a sabbatical from his job at the firm then known as Day, Berry & Howard, where the couple had met and where Bob had practiced more than 20 years. Being interested in various types of cuisine, they were intrigued by the cultural mix of people on the island, especially those who arrived from places such as Great Britain, France and South Africa to open restaurants.

They ended up writing a book telling the chefs’ stories and sharing recipes. “Their stories were so inspiring that we decided [running a restaurant] is what we wanted to do,” Kara said.

Studying In Westchester

So they returned to Connecticut, and, in 2004, began 18 months of renovating the old barn and preparing to transition out of the practice of law.

Kara spent a year developing recipes and cooking techniques, and she commuted regularly to study in the kitchen of a famous farm-based restaurant in Westchester County, N.Y., called Blue Hill at Stone Barns.

Cooking had always been a hobby of Kara’s and release from her law practice, which included seven years total with Day, Berry & Howard and Brown Rudnick in Hartford. “It was something I found to be very relaxing, which is not what it’s like when you’re doing it as a professional,” she said. “It’s one thing to cook and another to cook on a commercial level.”

Bob had to expand his garden and greenhouses to produce enough food for the restaurant, which is open Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, as well as Sunday for brunch.

Meanwhile, they quickly found out that running a restaurant is about more than just food. There were times, Kara said, when they ran out of Diet Coke or didn’t have enough change in the register.

But she said they wouldn’t change anything they’ve done because they’ve been able to switch careers and focus on their love of food.

That doesn’t mean their lawyer skills are no longer put to use, though. In fact, a year before the Still River Café opened, the Brookses fought hard for a permit to sell wine and beer; it was a major challenge because Eastford was one of the only dry towns in the state. “Our town has always been dry” going back to the 18th century, Kara said. “We had to convince our town that they wanted to change their history.”

They were successful, and the referendum attracted national media attention.

Now, the Brookses are working to build up a name among food writers, and they’ve been successful with high praise in publications throughout New England and New York.

“It’s hard work,” Kara said. “Everyone thinks lawyers work hard. You do everything on your own when you’re a small restaurant.” •

in light of the thread previous to this one..and given all of our well documented respect for Kara and Bob in regards to how they run their restaurant business...

it is noteworthy to mention, in light of the fact of how much I get hammered at times for my hard line on seafood standards, that Kara only cooks and serves local fresh food and especially seafood in her restaurant..no red snapper..no dover sole....no mahi mahi...no Sicilian Amberjack or Turbot..none of that stuff.....her day to day menu includes Georges Banks scallops...Maine lobster....New England Cod and Hake...and the like ...good for her....

it seems to me that Kara and I are very much alligned philosophically in regards to keeping it fresh and local..it is what it is

I'd say I'm in pretty good company :up:

Location. Location. Location. Now, if they open a resto in Las Vegas they may have to tap into the global logistics machine to find fresh fish . . .

to a point yep... but the Pacific Coast isnt that far away from Vegas and they got lots of great stuff...Pacific Coast dayboat seafood could be there that night by truck....Sicily however is very far away....so is Dover..am I the only one who sees the lunacy in that?

If there is a market, people sell into in. P town tuna to Tokyo? A 25 years ago people would think that was crazy.

I agree...100%...PTown tuna to Japan is insane...especially the prices being paid...its the ridiculous high end consumer who creates this craziness....and I am saying, stop letting the monkeys run the zoo....local food only...it is a MUCH healthier formula for the macro economy as it promotes local businesses....its symbiotic on a local level...all pluses....

and no matter what you think...I am telling you without 1 tenth of 1 percent doubt...you most of the time ARENT getting what you are paying for...no way..no how....they are bringing in these exotic fish which are less than fresh by anyones standard, just to satisfy these "foo foo foodies", and many times have to cook them in a way which covers the oldness up.....the chefs I have spoken to about this all hate the fact that they have to go out and bring in all these fish from far away which is mostly inferior to what a good local fish would taste like.....but as you say, the market demands it.....why?????...I have no clue...its ridiculous...

Dennis said:
Mike R said:
Sicily however is very far away....so is Dover..am I the only one who sees the lunacy in that?

No. You're just the only one who cares.

come to any seaport and you will here the same thing I am saying from just about everyone....no one in the seafood business "gets it"..even the ones who are contributing to it..I am only the minority in here and thats fine with me

Mike R said:
Dennis said:
Mike R said:
Sicily however is very far away....so is Dover..am I the only one who sees the lunacy in that?

No. You're just the only one who cares.

come to any seaport and you will here the same thing I am saying from just about everyone....no one in the seafood business "gets it"..even the ones who are contributing to it..I am only the minority in here and thats fine with me

Mike,

I believe that a fish a couple hours out of the ocean taste better than one 3 days or more out of the ocean. But we all can't live in your little slice of heaven. So, we adapt and we don't worry about what we can't have, we just enjoy what we can have. Doesn't make us looney or stupid or foo-foo or uneducated, just means we don’t live near the coast and, hold on to you Captain’s hat, we STILL EAT SEAFOOD!

Dennis...read my lips....well figuratively...

I understand....

all I am saying is get the Pacific Coast Halibut...or the New England Codfish instead of the Patagonian Toothfish or the Sicilian Amberjack....it has a much better chance of being of higher quality, at a better price, and is better for OUR economy...thats all I am saying....our fishermen are dying a slow death while the foo foo consumer is eating a fish from thousands of miles away that isnt even half as good!!....that is wrong on so many levels

did you forget I lived in the Rocky Mts 8 months out of the year for 8 years???...I understand...I muddled through by eating fresh trout....Pacific halibut when it looked reasonably fresh...and anything else i could get from logistically as close to where I was living, as I could find

I understand

if I lived in the middle of the country I would be very wary of a product which is coming from far away, and is the ONLY meat product that doesn't by law, require an expiration date, or a minimum temperature requirement in transit...and much of which comes from a third world country...i.e. 80% of red snapper comes from Thailand and Viet Nam..I would also be wary of an industry that is allowed to call different fish the same name..imagine if you could legally label a sirloin and a rib eye, a rib eye???

think about that for a minute.......

Mike,

I defer to you on all things fish. Well, all things fish and boating. Make that all things fish, boating and resort business. OK, all things fish, boating. Resort business related and snow skiing. Wait, all things fish, boating, resort business related, skiing and basketball. Whoops! All things fish, boating, resort business related, basketball and travel.

Anyhoo, my question is: If everyone who doesn’t live within 100 miles of the coast stopped buying fish how would that effect the P & L of the fishermen? I would think the fish guys are happy to be selling their catch and couldn’t give a guppy’s tail who buys it, ships it or eats it.

Dennis..you are absolutely right and that is not what I am suggesting...the fish guys are competing with foreign fancy schmancy fish coming into this country that the upper crust has decided is THE thing to eat... I wish everyone would buy Pacific, Atlantic and Gulf Coast fish and ONLY Pacific, Atlantic and Gulf Coast fish...not VietNam red snapper, which by the way is NOT red snapper but is in the snapper family, or Chilean Sea Bass, which by the way is neither from Chili OR a sea bass, but thats another story....if everyone would support the Pacific, Atlantic, and Gulf Coastal fishermen...then they would probably have a P&L balance sheet healthy enough to get quality product to the middle of the country on an even grander scale than they do now....but our industry really has to have a little more regulation than it does to gain legitimacy....I am the first to admit that..I mean..come on...no expiration dates???...nobody even remotely interested in HOW it gets shipped, at what temperature etc??>..thats a little TOO trusting..especially given that fishermen will never be known for being the straightest shooters in the crowd...LOL..can you even imagine if the beef industry or poultry industry was run that way?

and how come you dont defer any issues regarding marriage to me???>.LOL

I think Mike just got served.

Dennis said:
Mike,

I defer to you on all things fish. Well, all things fish and boating. Make that all things fish, boating and resort business. OK, all things fish, boating. Resort business related and snow skiing. Wait, all things fish, boating, resort business related, skiing and basketball. Whoops! All things fish, boating, resort business related, basketball and travel.

Anyhoo, my question is: If everyone who doesn’t live within 100 miles of the coast stopped buying fish how would that effect the P & L of the fishermen? I would think the fish guys are happy to be selling their catch and couldn’t give a guppy’s tail who buys it, ships it or eats it.