way to go!

MIke R

Senior Insider
Scotland Yard...they should be very proud of themselves today....maybe, just maybe, this will be enough to convince TSA to not hire disgruntled MacDonalds and Burger King workers as the first line of defense...or put a guy who previously was the Beach Boys PR man, as the head Securtity guy at EWR.....maybe

meanwhile......please George...dont speak today.....go play some golf.....

I don't follow what Scotland Yard has to do with TSA hiring practices. I don't think this plot was discovered at a security checkpoint.

The plot was discovered by those dreaded words "spying" and "informants".

For the record, not that anyone cares, but there has not been a major terrorist act on US soil since 911.

I know that no one wants to credit TSA for even the ability to tie their own shoes; however, I find their record over the last five years pretty good.

Now donning the asbestos underwear.

The plot was discovered by those dreaded words "spying" and "informants".

For the record, not that anyone cares, but there has not been a major terrorist act on US soil since 911.

I know that no one wants to credit TSA for even the ability to tie their own shoes; however, I find their record over the last five years pretty good.

Now donning the asbestos underwear.

I care and I agree they have been doing a pretty good job. Where this screening thing falls apart is asking Grandma to toss her denture cream because it is a liquid gel. I'm all for profiling.

Scotland Yard has nothing to do with TSA hiring practices...the point was that maybe the persistence and creativity of our enemies in regards to wanting to take down planes, as was proven once again today, should send a strong message to someone, that we need more qualified people on the front line of defense....our enemy obviously still sees our airport security , as well as the UK's, as the soft spot, otherwise they wouldnt keep trying to hit that....Wendi walking on a plane with a box cutter recently also tells me our enemies are bang on correct in remaining persistent in their stradegy...you travel a lot, as do I...do your really believe some of these security people you see at the screening points are smarter then the enemy???....or that they even care????.....I dont....I read an article a while back which reported that some 40% of TSA screeners worked in fast food less then a year before being hired by TSA....

I care and I agree they have been doing a pretty good job. Where this screening thing falls apart is asking Grandma to toss her denture cream because it is a liquid gel. I'm all for profiling.

I think most sensible people would be for profiling in a skinny minute. Alas, there are politicians who have made the mere mention of the word worse than committing an act of terrorism.

Miker: I can't vouch for the airports you use. But I watch the screeners closely in the airports I use. And I can tell you that they are most serious about what they do. You wear a St Christopher through and you get yanked and searched. Some carryon bags get LONG looks at the XRay machine.

I think profiling would be a good start. Even so, you still must have universal screening.

Perhaps that Jamaica flight I told yall about a few weeks ago had it right.

Everyone Flies Nekkid.

Or, stated another way:

Nekkid Men Have No Hidden Weapons.

I think most sensible people would be for profiling in a skinny minute. Alas, there are politicians who have made the mere mention of the word worse than committing an act of terrorism.

It's worked quite well for the Israelis. Profiling along with detailed questioning akin to a visual polygraph.

It's worked quite well for the Israelis. Profiling along with detailed questioning akin to a visual polygraph.

JEK: As you know, there is one large group of politicians who favor profiling and another that does not. As such, bend over and spread 'em grandma. We have to meet our quota.

Oh, BTW, the TSA DOES use quotas. They have to purposely screen people who would NOT match the profile to prove they are not profiling. I am big, ugly and with a suntan almost look mediterranean. I slip right through without a hitch. My wife looks so unprofilable that she gets searched almost every trip.

So, yes, there is profiling. To keep the Kulture Nazis from going spazzo on us, the profiling is of people they should not profile so as not to get in trouble for profiling.

That, mes amis, is no way to run security.

Those of you who have antiprofiling congressmen and senators need to write them.

You know which districts those are.

IV..I've seen good security as well.....but in this game....you can win 99.9% of the time and still lose....it only takes one gettng through and the .01% is devestating...I just think we can do a better job at it.....and I'm serious about the TSA chief at EWR being the Beach Boys front man prior to getting the job he currently holds....that just doesnt make me feel warm and fuzzy...

guess I better kill this liter of vanilla rhum that I was bringing back to Colorado next week...and with Buffett tonight....it should be easy...LOL

but what do I do with all this hair gel and hair spray???

Miker: As to winning 99.9% of the time and still losing, that is both correct and incorrect.

You aren't trying to be correct 99.9% of the time on the 99.9% of the people who aren't a problem. You are trying to be correct on the 0.1% of people who are a problem.

If something happens rarely and you catch it most of the time, then it happens VERY rarely.

This is, bien sur, where profiling comes in.

yup..lets profile and lets copy every single thing they do in Israel at their airport as their track record is beyond belief good, given where they are locaated and how much they are surrounded by hate and terrorists

yup..lets profile and lets copy every single thing they do in Israel at their airport as their track record is beyond belief good, given where they are locaated and how much they are surrounded by hate and terrorists

The problem with the Israel model is that it won't scale to fit our flight activity. If you think it is hard to find qualified people to say "show me your boarding pass" try to find people to do the kind of question profiling they do in Israel.

The problem with the Israel model is that it won't scale to fit our flight activity. If you think it is hard to find qualified people to say "show me your boarding pass" try to find people to do the kind of question profiling they do in Israel.

yeah I kind of figured that.....

FWIW, after years of only going through the motions at security checkpoints in SXM, on my last transit through there last week, the screeners were doing a reasonably thorough job. I wonder what made the difference and how long it will last. I've always considered airports such as SXM one of the biggest threats to security of our skies, but I may have to change that opinion.

The one good thing about the SXM security procedures is that they hand-check all luggage. That's also what they do in Israel along with the questioning and the occasional full body-cavity searches. Still, I don't think point-of-contact security can give good results in the long run. Clever terrorists can find ways to evade established procedures.

<<<If you think it is hard to find qualified people to say "show me your boarding pass" try to find people to do the kind of question profiling they do in Israel. >>>

Really depends on how many people you ask to step aside, right?
The Israelis really 'sweat' the perceived threats...interogation, etc...which is probably against the Geneva convention or something....

The USA will never profile...never... becuase the political animals have no will or courage....and it will cost us dearly, someday

I go for the Q tips.

You better look out Fred, next they will be using those as WMD's.

So, I wonder how many will still do carry-on only and leave all "liquids" at home and get by with hotel products and such. Hotels will need to set up shops for hurried carry-on only travelers to buy all their liquid toiletries. And for those that check, this ought to make the check in lines just a whole load of fun with probably many more people checking bags. Should make traveling more interesting than it already is. What a pain!!!!!!!!

The only liquids or gels I carry down are shaving cream and toothpaste, both of which can be purchased at L'Oasis.

Memo to self: Travel even lighter for the next trip down.