Hi all - Have a question relating to instant messaging via computer. I have client in Spain that has an instant messenger account with yahoo that us

onebigdawg53

Senior Insider
instant messenger question

Hi all -

Have a question relating to instant messaging via computer. I have client in Spain that has an instant messenger account with yahoo that uses (I think) microsoft passord and my instant messenger account is with aol. We've tried to IM each other when we are both signed on to our respective accounts but we can not manage to connect with each other. I get a message to the effect that this party in spain is not signed on (when in fact they are) and they get a message to the effect that they can not add my IM address to their service because I do not subscribe to an account of/with microsoft password. Is this a compatability issue ? And if so, is there something we can do to get around it and be able to IM each other? Your suggestions/assistance greatly appreciated.
tks/rgds
Georgedp

Re: instant messenger question

The only thing I can think of is that you are not both on the same messenger service. If you are on aol and he is on msn, they won't communicate. You both need to be on the same service.

Also, if you are on the same service, make sure that you both have all of the filters and blocks turned off.

Tell your friend to go to aim.com, get a screen name, and download the aol instant messenger client. It's free and easy.

That's good- you can also go on msn.com and set up an new account on Hotmail and use MSN as an alternate ISP. Then you would be compatible with IM. It's free.

That's good- you can also go on msn.com and set up an new account on Hotmail and use MSN as an alternate ISP. Then you would be compatible with IM. It's free.

thanks andy - I will try that as it is probably going to be easier for me to do that than to explain to a spaniard that does not speak english to do it on the aol site.