Fiber optic here!

cec1

Senior Insider
. . . now being installed between Pte. Milou & Grand Cul de Sac . . . headed to Toiny, we got it yesterday. I’m not sufficiently technical to say what the upload / download speeds are (I think that they’re the same), but it seems like “lightening speed.” Very cool to no longer endure dropped connections & to have clearer media (Netflix last night seemed to be much sharper).

. . . now being installed between Pte. Milou & Grand Cul de Sac . . . headed to Toiny, we got it yesterday. I’m not sufficiently technical to say what the upload / download speeds are (I think that they’re the same), but it seems like “lightening speed.” Very cool to no longer endure dropped connections & to have clearer media (Netflix last night seemed to be much sharper).

Download the app Speedtest and let us see the speed! Friend Pascal in Lorient has had it for a few years and loves the speed!

The l site I use is Ookla Speedtest. Once you log on, just click the Go button. As a point of comparison, speeds around the Island on the current system varied between 5-15 Mbps on download, and .5-.75 Mbps on upload. I'm guessing the Fibre system will be closer to 50 Mbps on both upload and download, which is a huge improvement.

Phil

My iPad is on fire this morning!
7EE8A237-95AE-4534-AAB2-81DF996C72E7.jpg

Dennis, I assume that means they're beyond the top of the Camaruche hill and tearing up streets now down and around to GCdS ? Preparing for sidewalks as they go, I assume ?

Dennis, I assume that means they're beyond the top of the Camaruche hill and tearing up streets now down and around to GCdS ? Preparing for sidewalks as they go, I assume ?

That part of the island has had fiber for some time - the Guanahani was a very early adopter.

hmm. I thought Dennis’ post said now being installed in that area ?
maybe GCdS has but stretch between Pointe Milou and GCdS doesn’t ?
confused :thinking1:

I think the backbone was laid some time ago and now they are pushing it out to all consumers. My guess.

However they achieved it, Guanahani has reportedly had great internet for several years. I recall them making their wi-fi internet available to residents after Irma, and my thought at the time was that their internet speed appeared to be better than what most villas were getting.

Having fiber internet connectivity at villa CEC is beneficial for not only Dennis's personal use, but is an additional selling point for future renters. I too am curious what Ookla Speedtest reports for speed.

A note to US internet users: I had fiber installed to my house as soon as it was available on my street. I never changed my internet plan, which was 25MB. When I started spending more time at home, I called my provider. Their plans had changed, but the price on my grandfathered 25MB plan had not changed. I upgraded from 25MB to 50MB and saved $3 per month. For the limited streaming that I do, 50MB is fine, but I have my eyes on 100MB in my next house. Whether you have fiber or copper, if you haven't checked pricing in awhile then it may be worthwhile to give your provider a call. I thought that 25MB was great until I got 50MB.

. . . very sorry to be slow in responding — a hectic day (a subject of another post).

Following is a screenshot of a speed test done earlier today with the new fiber optic connection . . . not sure what it means, except that I think that it’s what Phil expected.
6168D72B-0A70-4E24-A076-49BC4DD2DC02.jpg

With respect to commentary about availability of fiber optic else where, two comments:

1. If Pascal has had fiber optic connection in Lorient “for a few years,” I believe that he has been VERY well connected with the Collectivié in order to secure the connection at an affordable price; &/or he has been paying an extraordinarily high price for his connection (a price which, until very recently, was only affordable by large resort hotels & a few hedge fund moguls). I wonder what speed Pascal has.

2. The information that I have received in subscribing to fiber optic service is, as described, that the current availability of service, at an affordable rate, only is available in the Pte. Milou, Marigot, Grand Cul de Sac areas . . . with service quickly expanding to Toiny. In this regard, my understanding is that the Collectivié has licensed three companies at this time to offer fiber optic service & that it’s only currently being provided by St. Barth Telecom. The other authorized providers still are getting their acts together (as in, laying cable).

In any event, I’m a happy camper right now.

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 10.15.32 AM.jpg

The deployment of the fiber continues (JEK note: with more info on what has changed)

With the diversification of the "Pro" offer
Despite a slowdown due to the fire at the EHPAD technical room on Friday, June 4 (JSB 1427), the deployment of optical fiber on the island continues. At the same time, the offer for professionals is enriched with an additional connection option.

Gently but surely, the deployment of the optical fiber network continues in Saint-Barthélemy. This, despite the incretion that ravaged the technical room of Gus- Tavia's EHPAD on June 4 (JSB 1427). An incident of the more damaging since the installation destroyed by the flames sheltered a NRO (connection node, read framed), an infrastructure that allows to ef- perform the link between the input of the power supply. the island network and all the subscriptions. Nevertheless, this incident does not prevent access providers from working on their offer. Especially the one for professionals.

The main novelty is the fact of Saint-Barth Telecom. "Our goal is not necessarily to have a large number of customers but to systematically offer them the highest quality," says Patrick Mili, responsibility of the company. To do this, it chose to exploit A sector of the "smartfir" network which is not yet used by its direct competitors that are Dauphin Telecom and Orange.

Saint-Barth Telecom has chosen to offer its "Pro" clientele to be connected through the Ftte network (Fiber to the Enterprise, Fiber to the company). A system that offers a service dedicated to the customer. To summarize the most simply possible, the Ftte borrows the main network accessible to the general public (the FTTH, Fiber to the Home, Fiber to the house) from the point of arrival of the supply of the fiber (the Nro, connecting node) to the point of mutualization, a kind of multi-out box.

At this junction, the main network is divided into cables that consolidate 32 to 64 strands to power customers. But the one who subscribes to a Ftte subscription will be entitled to his own strand. Which, of course, guarantees him a quality of service higher than that
Maud Greaux, agency manager for Dauphin. Hotels, villas, boutiques and other professionals use this network. Paralleling, Dauphin already has more than 80 customers who are connected to the fiber.

It goes without saying that arrangement, historical operator, also adapts its services to the arrival of the fiber. Owner of the "copper" network that allows the island to be connected, Orange sees However, are somewhat modified status. Indeed, it is Saint-Barth Digital, trademark of the collectivity, which owns the fiber optic network. Eventually, Orange will become an Internet service provider like the others in Saint-Barth. Except to consider, of course, the experience and technical mastery of the one who remains the first operator in the West Indies.

a shared connection.

"We want to start with this dedicated fiber," explain Patrick Millie. But we are also distinguished by our quality of services, with technicians present on the island. We do not just give a box to the customer, it is really computer with a security, a filtering. »

If, for the moment, Saint-Barth Telecom is the only operator to offer this system, its competitors are already positioned on other devices. Dauphin Telecom, for
Example, obviously exploits the FTTH network, but also the FTTO (Fiber to the Office, Fiber until the office). The latter exists since 2015 and allows a point-to-point connection.
In concrete terms, the client who subscribes to this network benefits from a completely dedicated strand that starts from NRO and comes directly to the subscription site. A system that offers many guarantees of quality and connection maintenance. "More than one fourtey of customers have joined this service," says

Easiest way to test the speed is to go to

fast.com

and it'll tell you your speed immediately. this site is hosted by Netflix.

NOTE: If youre connected to your internet via WIFI, then it will max out at the speed of your Wifi which is likely to be significantly slower than your fibre connection.

You can only test the fibre connection fully if you directly plug an ethernet cable between your computer and your router (and make sure you have a gigabit ethernet port!)

your speed of 39 megabits download speed isnt particularly good. its good compared to the ADSL (copper phone lines) but its comparable to the 4G network that currently exists in parts of the island already.

its likely that your speed is limited by the speed of your Wifi device and that buying a faster wifi access point (one that follows the WIFI 6 standard for instance), or, directly connecting your computer into the router with an ethernet cable will bring you much faster speeds.

the speed you have is plenty fast enough for web browsing, or watching Netflix, so its possible you dont need it to go any faster.

Easiest way to test the speed is to go to

fast.com

and it'll tell you your speed immediately. this site is hosted by Netflix.

NOTE: If youre connected to your internet via WIFI, then it will max out at the speed of your Wifi which is likely to be significantly slower than your fibre connection.

You can only test the fibre connection fully if you directly plug an ethernet cable between your computer and your router (and make sure you have a gigabit ethernet port!)

only gives download speeds

fast.com
7BD69419-4C8C-4EE0-8E43-093A2AF11E70.jpg

Speedtest

415C80AF-8F79-4A2A-8CD4-BC80B18A270E.jpg

370 mb/s is pretty good. is that on the wifi or on a wired connection?

im in London right now. the fast.com server can get congested at peak times and doesnt always show the max speed. (neither can ookla speedtest). your limit when its really fast is the other end.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 21.12.16.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 21.12.16.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 409
thats excellent then. and you'll probably see even faster with a wired connection (on your computer)