Restaurant Owners we miss-

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
The welcoming smile of Manu at Santa Fe with his mother’s recipes such as coq au vin. He started the tradition of moules and frites on Fridays. We remember he told us his locale was at one time a ‘hamburger stand.’

The welcoming smile of Manu at Santa Fe with his mother’s recipes such as coq au vin. He started the tradition of moules and frites on Fridays. We remember he told us his locale was at one time a ‘hamburger stand.’

Before he was welcoming there he was the sommelier for Adam of Sapotillier fame. As for burgers at Santa Fé see this report from 1994.

If you are interested in the history of the place, this is from Porter Henry's newsletter dated spring 1991.

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 7.54.17 AM.jpg

I believe the resto is still in the family name and one of the articles of the lease is that it must be called Santa Fé.

I am in memory overload right now. There were some good spots that went away. I have no doubt more if not even better spots will appear.

Mentions of Francois Plantation, our very first divine on island dinner, creme brûlée at Vincent Adam’s, Castelets, elegant lunch and dinner at Gaiac at Toiny, Sapotillier, Rivage ...a trip of its own!

I am in memory overload right now. There were some good spots that went away. I have no doubt more if not even better spots will appear.

Mentions of Francois Plantation, our very first divine on island dinner, creme brûlée at Vincent Adam’s, Castelets, elegant lunch and dinner at Gaiac at Toiny, Sapotillier, Rivage ...a trip of its own!

Another famous gourmand once visited in 1974 . . .

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 8.09.40 AM.jpg

There was a restaurant up the hill above the tennis court across the street from Sereno. Le Flamboyant? Who was the owner there? The food was amazing!

There was a restaurant up the hill above the tennis court across the street from Sereno. Le Flamboyant? Who was the owner there? The food was amazing!

Albert Balayn of La Gloriette and rhum fame and father of Café Gloriette's Sandra!

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 9.04.42 AM.jpg

Aha ! See Eden Roc...not Rock...so glad to have my thought/remembering on the spelling substantiated in print now from back then !

Looking through Henry Porter's newsletters there is a mix of Eden Roc and Eden Rock references. Easy to see why the mixup on a French island, but it is clear the Remy de Haenen named the place Eden Rock.

Manu might have started a tradition of moules et frites on Fridays but it was a tradition for many years beforehand on Thursdays at La Marine in Gustavia.. and Santa Fe was not exactly a "hamburger stand" as in an early iteration of a McDonald's, it was a more casual (affordable) place with burgers and steaks and a pool table and TV and many locals would go there... back in the day!

Ah, La Marine! With Moules, the sisters, and the sometimes lost reservations. But, at the end of the night, we all ate dinner, drank some wine, and walked away happy. No complaints here.

La Marine....I'm with you Kevin....and the atmosphere. and we cannot forget saladrie, think I am spelling that wrong. The owner later bought Choisy Bakery.