No more travel to SBH except for compelling reasons

andynap

Senior Insider
Tiffany posted this but I want to alert those who are coming soon

3:40 PM Mon Feb 1 * VPN) 63% A journaldesaintbarth.com FOREIGN TRAVELERS WILL ALSO HAVE TO JUSTIFY AN IMPERIOUS REASON TO COME TO SAINT-BARTH ON 02/01/2021

As of February 2 at midnight, all trips from or to Saint-Barthélemy are prohibited, unless justified by a compelling reason (see list below).

This is what emerges from the decree published on Sunday in the official journal, which follows the announcements of Prime Minister Jean Castex. “All travel to and from all of our overseas territories will be subject to the production of a compelling reason,” he announced on Friday January 29. But until the publication of the decree, it was not yet known whether this concerned foreign travelers. Tourism professionals were concerned about possible cancellations by American travelers.

The decree specifies that this applies to all trips. Including between Saint-Barthélemy and the United States, therefore, or between Saint-Barthélemy and Saint-Martin. Travelers who can prove a compelling reason will have to present a negative PCR test for Covid-19 within 72 hours.

List of compelling reasons accepted for travel Barthélemy: origin or destination of Saint-Barthélemy

• Compelling family or personal reason: death of a family member in the direct line of a brother or sister, visit to a person whose prognosis is vital (for direct line family members) and on presentation of a death certificate or certificate or a medical certificate. But also: custody of children by the parent vested with parental authority or whose custody right is recognized by a court decision (on presentation of the court decision and proof of address), summons by an authority judicial or administrative (on presentation of the summons). Legal or economic impossibility to stay in the territory (on presentation of a redundancy document or an expiring residence permit). Finally, students at the start, resumption or end of a study cycle will also be able to cross borders on presentation of a school certificate established by the French or foreign establishment.

• Compelling health reason: "vital medical emergency" (for anyone and an accompanying person if his / her presence is essential) and on presentation of documents: medical certificate, proof of a scheduled hospitalization, etc.

• Compelling professional reasons: - missions essential for an economic activity (including transport professionals) on presentation of a certificate from the employer, health professional contributing to the fight against Covid-19 or a cooperation action of major interest in health matters (on presentation of the professional card), occasional public sector missions (including diplomatic missions) on presentation of a mission order, high-level professional athletes for participation in sporting events and on presentation of a professional card and a certificate issued by the organizer. When questioned, the services of the Prefecture of Saint-Martin and Saint-Barthélemy indicate that the return home of holidaymakers currently in our territories is considered a compelling reason.

This just posted on comstbarth Facebook page,

COMSTBARTH informs you:

The Prime Minister's decree published in the Official Journal of January 31, 2021, concerning new health measures, specifies that any displacement to departure or arrival of each ultramarine territory is subject to compelling motive starting on 2 February. Saint-Barthélemy is therefore concerned as well as other overseas communities.

This measure would apply to all air or sea routes.

To this end, the President of the Community of Saint-Barthélemy, Mr. Bruno MAGRAS, has sent a letter to the Minister of Overseas, Mr. Sébastien LECORNU, calling for the restoration of a faculty of adaptation of rules to each territory, especially for air and sea routes to foreign countries and Saint-Martin.

The President of the Community of Saint-Barthélemy will not fail to communicate very soon to keep the population informed of the response given by the state.

Talking tonight with a number of local and, I believe, locally-well informed, residents, I would say that the situation is in flux. As someone notably said, “It ain’t over ‘til the fat lady sings!”

Fingers crossed! Have friends scheduled to fly there for 10 days starting this Thursday...they are sitting on pins and needles right now. And then we have our annual March trip scheduled - Bucket or no... :)

The Transportation and Villa rental companies seem to be waiting for a possible negotiation between St. Barths and the French government. Unfortunately we are due to arrive on the Island Saturday after overnighting in SJU Friday night. Tradewinds is keeping their schedule today,I’m told, and would hope to get 72 hours notice for a change of restrictions. So many of the posts here sound so definitive about the Island shutting down. We were on the Island Feb. 2020 for our annual trip and saw what happened 2 weeks after we got home. Getting stuck on the Island is tempting but not realistic for us. To be covered by insurance, we can’t cancel before the the directive is affirmed. Anyone in the same position with advice? All appreciated. Louise.

Talking tonight with a number of local and, I believe, locally-well informed, residents, I would say that the situation is in flux. As someone notably said, “It ain’t over ‘til the fat lady sings!”

The truth be known, ( I just left SBH after another 2 week visit) many local businesses have not been taking the pandemic seriously and are most likely the super-spreaders on the island. I visited a bakery in Gustavia where the workers and clients weren’t wearing masks, I dined in a restaurant where another guest was visibly sick and allowed to stay, rented lounge chairs at a beach bar where the servers were not masked, the famous corner in Gustavia of the cheeseburger in paradise packed to the gills every night, (social distancing be damned) and designer stores allowing hordes of visitors in at a time.
So I hope the businesses enjoyed their little burst of business. If they don’t get with the program they will be closed all of 2021.

The truth be known, ( I just left SBH after another 2 week visit) many local businesses have not been taking the pandemic seriously and are most likely the super-spreaders on the island. I visited a bakery in Gustavia where the workers and clients weren’t wearing masks, I dined in a restaurant where another guest was visibly sick and allowed to stay, rented lounge chairs at a beach bar where the servers were not masked, the famous corner in Gustavia of the cheeseburger in paradise packed to the gills every night, (social distancing be damned) and designer stores allowing hordes of visitors in at a time.
So I hope the businesses enjoyed their little burst of business. If they don’t get with the program they will be closed all of 2021.

A good friend of mine returned on Saturday after 10 days and made the same observations on lack of masks and social distancing. For his work he has traveled to Paris, London and LA this year and he was apalled at the nonchalance on our isle.

A good friend of mine returned on Saturday after 10 days and made the same observations on lack of masks and social distancing. For his work he has traveled to Paris, London and LA this year and he was apalled at the nonchalance on our isle.

We were on the island last year November and happy to see that all the employees at our hotel were wearing masks. All the restaurants we went to had employees in masks as well. I’m surprised that other establishments on the island aren’t following the protocol.

Sometimes it does take some time for everyone to get it. I remember when everyone in Miami was wearing masks, you could drive 1.5 hours north and people would serve you food with no mask. I was appalled seeing that here in Florida.

Our observations...

We are scheduled to leave tomorrow afternoon, have been on the island for 10 days. For the most part i judge the mask wearing at around 80%. From New Orleans, we have experienced everything from Super Spreader events to total lock-downs.

We are staying in a wonderful Villa on Columbier so nowhere near the busy areas. We have had a great time and have no regrets about being "on island". Dinners out were fewer than usual but our home town is a foodie local so we were not really here for the Resto's

I fully encourage anyone that can get her to come, locals are accommodating and ready to enjoy our company

BTW, WIMCO was our Villa provider, they did an excellent job of helping us through the 10 days.

feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions

why would one compare this island with dense urban areas?

why would one compare this island with dense urban areas?

Perhaps the answer is here.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 9.46.49 PM.jpg

It is funny to see people complain about how the island is reacting to this situation. Having been here for the arch of the pandemic, the local approach hasn’t changed. What has is the influx of people- gouverneur was more crowded last Thursday than any day I saw between Xmas and NYE.
if you come here, you are inherently taking on more risk than not traveling. So understand you are going to be around like minded folk who are looking to escape their pandemic lives at home- and that probably means a less conservative approach.

if you are uncomfortable with that- which is fine- I suggest you find a better time to visit

Our observations...

. . . For the most part i judge the mask wearing at around 80%. From New Orleans, we have experienced everything from Super Spreader events to total lock-downs.

. . .

Thank you, nawlinscouple, for your post. Regarding your 80% observation, it’s interesting to me because my “rotation” of SBH restaurants has been significantly narrowed by present circumstances, & in the three or four places that I visit, I would say that mask wearing by restaurant personnel, from owners to staff, is nearly 100%. Even the exceptions appear to be aberrational, though I’ll admit that many people wear their masks below the nose.

For those of you re-considering your trip to SBH, which I would personally recommend as the locals aren’t taking the pandemic seriously, I am now in Provo Turks&Caicos after spending 2 weeks in St Barts.
I can tell you first hand that this island is on a whole other level of caution and concern. Every restaurant takes down you’re name and accommodation address upon entry. Masks are worn everywhere by everyone, even the beach attendants. The island is quiet and relaxing. We are in a condo on 7 mile long Grace Bay Beach, with 10% occupancy -mostly owners. Looking down the 7 mile beach as far as I can see are a total of 3 people. The locals are beyond friendly and thrilled to have us here.