Sargasso Sea(son)

We were on the island from May 15 - 22. I saw ribbons of sargassum as we approached SXM, and then in our flight over to SBH. This surprised me because there was no mention of it in this forum. On our first beach day on the 16th, it closed the right side of Saline. And on the 17th, Gouverneur was covered and thus nobody on the beach. We ended up at St Jean. So while it was around, it didn't have a major impact. There was always a beach to go to.

We did see one lone older man raking the sargassum on the far left side Saline beach, on the other side of the rocks. He only wore a hat, and seemed intent on his task.

Hope you always find a beach clear enough to enjoy!

Rob
That man rakes the beach on the other side of the rocks every day. He keeps his rake hidden in the sand and each day he comes and rakes. I can only imagine what it would look like without him. Currently they use very little equipment to clean the beaches and pitchforks and rakes are the most common method. It seems a tractor with a rake implement would be more efficient for the bigger beaches. Gouvernuer is hard because of the dropoff. Yesterday 3 men with pitchforks and a small track dump truck would collect the Sargassum then take it to a dumpster but there was so much washing in it didn't seem to make a dent.

So it doesn't sound like this sargasso is going away any time soon. My sisters and I have been planning this trip since February and are so excited to visit all the beautiful beaches and all else the island has going on. We arrive Saturday. It will be very sad if we are not able to enjoy the beaches to their fullest because of this. It truly is a scourge - some of hte islands are absolutely being devastated by this - Tobago, BVI, Mexico, etc. What a shame - between this and news that a massive iceberg has broken away in Antarctica - it appears we have wrought irrepairable damage to the earth.
Anybody been out to the beaches today? assume it's still the same story.

So it doesn't sound like this sargasso is going away any time soon. My sisters and I have been planning this trip since February and are so excited to visit all the beautiful beaches and all else the island has going on. We arrive Saturday. It will be very sad if we are not able to enjoy the beaches to their fullest because of this. It truly is a scourge - some of hte islands are absolutely being devastated by this - Tobago, BVI, Mexico, etc. What a shame - between this and news that a massive iceberg has broken away in Antarctica - it appears we have wrought irrepairable damage to the earth.
Anybody been out to the beaches today? assume it's still the same story.
if it's the same when you arrive I would suggest you check out Colombier. If you are flying over you will be able to see from the air. Given the prevailing winds I would think it's clear.

They are keeeping all St. Jean very clean from the airport all the way to the east end. From the airport west it is covered with Sargassum

Of course - we are staying at Les Islets de la Plage, so, boo.
There was a big front end loader down there that was not moving around 4 so item is to probably clean it but with This being a big holiday weekend doubt it will happen before Monday. That corner is the corner that gets the most because of the prevailing winds. But it's only a short walk to a clean beach.

Just would hate to go all the way to St. Barth and be limited to St. Jean - was looking forward to enjoying Saline and Gouverneur, and some of the others, too!

There was a big front end loader down there that was not moving around 4 so item is to probably clean it but with This being a big holiday weekend doubt it will happen before Monday. That corner is the corner that gets the most because of the prevailing winds. But it's only a short walk to a clean beach.

Yes I see a picture somebody posted on Instagram on St Jean about two days ago / all of St Jean clear except for the patch of beach at Les Ilets. I see the front loader in the picture but beach completely covered. Hopefully they will get it going on Monday. Such s shame about the fence keeping us from just walking over. One of my favorite things to do on vacation is the early morning swim in the sea - but not at 6 am before the gate opens! Well we'll just have to adapt to the situation. And yes, Columbier is on the list. Wasn't sure my sisters would be up for the hike but I think they are game.

Make sure you take the low route from Flamands. It's a much easier hike - nearly flat until you get to the road just above the beach. To me, that's the roughest part of the hike - the fifty foot drop down to the water.

Drove through Grand Fond this afternoon and the rocks were covered in Sargassum also many large rafts of it offshore

Drove through Grand Fond this afternoon and the rocks were covered in Sargassum also many large rafts of it offshore

Curious how Gouverneur and Saline are looking. We fly in tomorrow so it is what it is at this point. The water at Les Ilets looks to be full of it, at least it did in some pictures from a few days ago. We'll see tomorrow, They have that loader parked there but like you said unlikely it will be cranked up until at least Monday if then. And not much they can do about the stuff in the water. Rest of St. Jean looks clean but with the dumb fence we'll have to drive around to get to the clean part of beach. I assume walking around the airport would take a long time and not good walking street right there? Ah well.

I just snorkeled Petite Anse and it was clear. Saw the waves coming in. Still very happy to be here. 😎

Flying in yesterday when you looked at the ocean you could see ribbons of sargassum marching in lines towards St Martin. Didn't look like it ended.

But looking at Lorient from Pointe Milou this morning the beach looks pretty clear

image.jpg