Runway fence going up?

I would think that the fence would present an aviation hazard . . . no?
..Even if they put a short fence, say 3-4' across the beach end of the approach, the runway is a bit higher than that. If you were that low, you better add power quick and climb up to the runway....

If the authorities really want to address the problem: (and I'm not discussing the damage on the landscape here)

They just need to build a fence at the end of the runway, and not accross the beach or even the water.
Just like in SXM. Make it 6 feet high and this is the end of the problems.

Aircraft performance requirements is to clear 50 foot obstacles at runway end for landing and take off. So 6 feet is safe enough.

Webcam shows large stakes at the end of the runway

Why not put up an invisible fence and make visitors wear an electronic collar? I mean, really...don't people know where the runway is?!?!?!?! Need the same thing at the round-about I guess. Geeeeeez.

Of course, as we know, just because the 50' requirement of the aircraft performance is there, a 28 approach is rarely flown that high, and therin lies the problem. Islanders solution of a fence at the end, even if you were to place it 20' from the end would force the planes in and out at a higher altitude....and leave the beach access unobstructed....

From Radio St Barth Facebook page:

1956959_250019551845119_1016753545_o.jpg

If the authorities really want to address the problem: (and I'm not discussing the damage on the landscape here)

They just need to build a fence at the end of the runway, and not accross the beach or even the water.
Just like in SXM. Make it 6 feet high and this is the end of the problems.

Aircraft performance requirements is to clear 50 foot obstacles at runway end for landing and take off. So 6 feet is safe enough.

Based on history that fence would be dragged into the Baie about once every few years.

do you guys worry as much about what goes on in your real hometowns as you worry about what goes in your 1-2 week imaginary hometown somewhere else???....:D

I don't want to be in a plane landing over the water with a 6 foot fence to go over.

Most airport runways on the water have fences to get over. Anyway of all the times I have landed at SBH I have never landed over the water.

Most airport runways on the water have fences to get over. Anyway of all the times I have landed at SBH I have never landed over the water.

But most of those don't have a hill 2100 feet from the fence :) In the last 10 years I have landed over the beach more often than the hill.

We landed over the water on our last trip down to the island, and we barely cleared the beach. I don't think that physical barriers on the beach are a good idea. Concern for the passengers and crew of the airplanes, to me, is more important than a random photog getting in the way every five or ten years.