Traveling to SBH in the uncertain COVID related environment

debd

Senior Insider
Thank you to Kevin, and so many others, for real time updates in this ever changing environment.

For those of us (possibly over analytical, planner types), would those of you "in the know" mind taking a look at this attempt at a summary of the current travel situation (subject to change at any moment), and "yay" or "nay" and "fill in any blanks?

---------------

As in the past, the two most common connections to reach SBH are through SXM and SJU.

Flight travel through SJU is provided by Tradewinds, and through SXM by Winward and St. Barth Commuter. There is a premium to travel with Tradewinds, but, by reports, they have done an exceptional job managing and streamlining the COVID related process for travelers. As always, there are various well qualified premium services available to support travelers through SXM. There is always a "do it yourself” option as well through SXM. Those traveling through SXM during the recent “quiet” travel period have reported a relatively seamless “do it yourself” process, albeit possibly innocuously inconsistent and possibly subject to a different experience as “the season” kicks in, and there is increased visitor traffic.

To enter the island, there is a requirement (at this time) of evidence that a PCR test has been administered w/in 72 hours of arrival. Reports are that people have successfully fulfilled that requirement by various means, often paying a premium to do so. Unless the lab results' email is directly from a lab, recommendations are to have a hard copy of the results on your person. Results tend to be "date stamped," rather than "time stamped."

If staying on SBH for more than 7 days, an additional PCR test must be administered on SBH, at the traveler’s expense. Currently, the lab is open an hour a day, Monday to Friday (Saturday?). (not posting hours here as a real (or near) time check is recommended.)

If traveling through SXM, there is a special paperwork requirement, the EHAS form, which can be completed on line after receipt of negative COVID test results. SXM will acknowledge receipt and, within a couple of hours, grant access to the island. Reports are that while the paperwork has been reviewed by the departing airline, it was not necessarily considered by SXM employees. There are reports that SXM is considering requiring some sort of COVID related expense insurance. TBD.

Current reports are that an SXM in transit passenger, departing FROM SBH (currently classified as a "low risk" island), is not required to have recent testing. (need to confirm, however, of an EHAS form needs to be completed?, even if "in transit.")

On island reports are mixed. There are reports of masks generally being used in restricted areas. Although some visitors require testing results for entry, that is not the case, at this time, for all “off island” visitors. There has been a reported increase in cases on SBH attributed to untested “off island” visitors and some residents returning from Portugal. So far, there have been no deaths, and only one patient was airlifted off island (to the best of my recollection).

If a traveler becomes ill, the options for U.S. residents are to be transported to Guadeloupe or the U.S. (SXM?). Medjet is expanding coverage, related to COVID illness, as of October 19, but with notable restrictions and benefit qualifications worth reviewing. (link provided on Medjet thread)

Depending on the state to where you are returning, there may be a 14 day quarantine requirement for returning from SBH.

Another consideration for travelers is the "expense" (financial and emotional) should a traveler receive a positive test within the 72 hour window, and need to cancel flights and accommodations.

All this detail aside, those who have been on island through the various stages of the island's pandemic management, and those who have recently visited the island, share uplifting reports of its ever present beauty, serenity and refuge. Aaaaaah.

I asked our WIMCO rep what happens if you test positive in SBH. This is what she sent me...

If you're on St Barths and test positive, you are quarantined in place in your villa until you test negative (test takers come to the villa).If you need some low level of medical assistance,you are housed in government owned cabins by the Sports Stadium in St Jean.If you are in really bad shape then you are medivaced to Guadeloupe or Martinique which have major hospitals
You can find the info on this blog article.

https://www.wimco.com/vacation-trav...spx?target=/st-barts-covid-19-testing-center/

I asked our WIMCO rep what happens if you test positive in SBH. This is what she sent me...
If you're on St Barths and test positive, you are quarantined in place in your villa until you test negative (test takers come to the villa).If you need some low level of medical assistance,you are housed in government owned cabins by the Sports Stadium in St Jean.If you are in really bad shape then you are medivaced to Guadeloupe or Martinique which have major hospitals
You can find the info on this blog article.

https://www.wimco.com/vacation-trav...spx?target=/st-barts-covid-19-testing-center/

Thanks, Tiffany. Very helpful.

That begs the questions - what about your traveling companion? What about provisions during the quarantine? (frankly, a little less worried about this on SBH, given the so many wonderful people we know/know of there)

It really is a stressful time to travel. I’m worried if there’s going to be a surge in cases there, it will be when the seasonal workers come back at the start of the season...which is when our trip is scheduled. Cases in France are really high right now. Testing doesn’t seem to pick this stuff up in the very early stages.

'From St. Barth [FONT=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]Including the full list of requirements I received from St. Barth Commuter today via email, and noting that a Health Declaration Form is still required to board when going from SBH to SXM." [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Connecting Passengers via Sint Maarten (SXM) :

Prior ARRIVAL to St Barths from Sint Maarten :
> Negative COVID-19 PCR test carried out 72 hours before the flight.
> Health Declaration Form to be completed on : [/FONT]
https://stmaartenehas.com/application-form/[FONT=&quot]
> Declaration on the honor of absence of symptoms (travellers from France only).
Prior DEPARTURE from St Barths to Sint Maarten :
> Health Declaration Form : [/FONT]
https://stmaartenehas.com/application-form/[FONT=&quot]
> Declaration on the honor of absence of symptoms (travellers to France only).
> NO rt-PCR required if you are travelling from St-Barths and you are IN TRANSIT in Juliana.
For more information about the travel requirements from/to Sint-Maarten, please click here : [/FONT]
https://stmaartenehas.com/travel-requirements/

'From St. Barth Including the full list of requirements I received from St. Barth Commuter today via email, and noting that a Health Declaration Form is still required to board when going from SBH to SXM
Connecting Passengers via Sint Maarten (SXM) :

Prior ARRIVAL to St Barths from Sint Maarten :
> Negative COVID-19 PCR test carried out 72 hours before the flight.
> Health Declaration Form to be completed on :
https://stmaartenehas.com/application-form/
> Declaration on the honor of absence of symptoms (travellers from France only).
Prior DEPARTURE from St Barths to Sint Maarten :
> Health Declaration Form :
https://stmaartenehas.com/application-form/
> Declaration on the honor of absence of symptoms (travellers to France only).
> NO rt-PCR required if you are travelling from St-Barths and you are IN TRANSIT in Juliana.
For more information about the travel requirements from/to Sint-Maarten, please click here :
https://stmaartenehas.com/travel-requirements/
I think the ultimate arbiter of your choice to visit is one's tolerance for risk. Lovely as the island is, it is very small. And if there is an issue the paradise will become the polar opposite. Perish the thought that you become ill as there will be no ability to save yourself from a dire case. This would have been our 10th season: our stay is 5 weeks. We are older and although in excellent health are by age alone "high risk". It just wouldn't work for us:waiting for the shoe to drop: potential loss of an expensive stay: potential of becoming ill: lots of opportunity to have numerous, non-restful, un-vacation-like thoughts. If you are planning a week or two the expense may not be an issue. If you are younger perhaps you have the emotional constitution to partition the downside possibilities? For us the simple consideration of these potentialities is substance enough to pass on this year. Good luck in all regards!

It certainly is a challenge. Our home town is not safe either.

Hope you come back when it is easier to be away down there again.

Hello all,
We have finally made the very difficult decision to cancel our early November visit. The travel restrictions with the 72 hour negative test result requirement has proven to be logistically and financially insurmountable for us at this time. We are so sad. Our next visit will be in mid-March 2021, a rollover from our trip this past March which was of course canceled due to lock down. We hope that travel will become easier in some way by then, maybe thru a rapid-test program for travelers, who knows. So in the meantime we will live vicariously through the posts of this forum.

Hi all we have our annual Christmas-new year trip planned for this year. Our problem is we spend time in St Maarten then go to St Barths then go back to St Maarten to go home. We have friends on both islands .

So we would have to get tested in Houston before our December 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] flight, we are spending 6 nights in St Maarten, we would have to get tested again to fly to St Barths for 6 nights, then get tested in St Barths again to fly back to St Maarten as we are spending 2 nights there before we fly back to Houston.

Yes a lot of testing…we got tested here in Houston already and it was covered by our medical. Does anyone know if you can submit a claim to your medical insurance for the testing done on the island. I’ve read that it cost between 125 euros to 180 euros per test.

We are also thinking of just going to either St Maarten or St Barths only for the entire time. Hopefully if we decide on St Barths we can get a rental for the entire trip as we pay a deposit each year when we leave for the following year. As you all know it’s very difficult to get a place for the new years

This just might be the year it is not as difficult as other years to get a rental during the Christmas/New year period of time.

This just might be the year it is not as difficult as other years to get a rental during the Christmas/New year period of time.

I agree with you. This will be the year you can negotiate your rental deal to a more reasonable rate with the villa owners. Its better to have a client in your villa than to leave it empty.

I think the ultimate arbiter of your choice to visit is one's tolerance for risk. Lovely as the island is, it is very small. And if there is an issue the paradise will become the polar opposite. Perish the thought that you become ill as there will be no ability to save yourself from a dire case. This would have been our 10th season: our stay is 5 weeks. We are older and although in excellent health are by age alone "high risk". It just wouldn't work for us:waiting for the shoe to drop: potential loss of an expensive stay: potential of becoming ill: lots of opportunity to have numerous, non-restful, un-vacation-like thoughts. If you are planning a week or two the expense may not be an issue. If you are younger perhaps you have the emotional constitution to partition the downside possibilities? For us the simple consideration of these potentialities is substance enough to pass on this year. Good luck in all regards!

Thank you for the “good luck” wishes you offer. I expect that luck may be a factor in the current Covid-risk environment. Bigger factors, however, seem to be matters that are within one’s control — masking, social distancing, & frequent hand washing among them. Moreover, whether in FL or on SBH, I have found that good personal judgment in where one goes, the condition of a venue being crowded-or-not, & how local proprietors respect appropriate “safe” behavior standards are very important considerations.

. . . sorry that there are concerns that lead you to a decision to pass on an SBH visit this year. Meanwhile, let’s hope & pray that those who venture into the described environment of “potentialities” will remain safe . . . and will provide vicarious pleasure to others with reporting of their times on the island.

Stay well!

So if someone's only concern is getting the negative test results back in time to get on the plane and not lose the money that they paid for their villa, it could make sense to be in contact with a villa agency about a bunch of possible rentals but not actually book one until the day of travel? I know this is far from the normal way of handling things and could leave you in a villa that you may not have otherwise picked as your first choice, but I suspect there are more vacant villas this year than normal. Depending on what airline you book with and when you booked, most airfare is refundable one way or another - fully refundable or can be used as a credit within 12 months. So if you are flexible and aren't concerned about being away right now but just don't want to risk losing money on your villa perhaps that is an option? Regardless of where you stay the beaches, restos, etc. will all be there for you

So if someone's only concern is getting the negative test results back in time to get on the plane and not lose the money that they paid for their villa, it could make sense to be in contact with a villa agency about a bunch of possible rentals but not actually book one until the day of travel? I know this is far from the normal way of handling things and could leave you in a villa that you may not have otherwise picked as your first choice, but I suspect there are more vacant villas this year than normal. Depending on what airline you book with and when you booked, most airfare is refundable one way or another - fully refundable or can be used as a credit within 12 months. So if you are flexible and aren't concerned about being away right now but just don't want to risk losing money on your villa perhaps that is an option? Regardless of where you stay the beaches, restos, etc. will all be there for you

Great way to view the concern of getting timely test results!

Was the rule to enter SBH softened up slightly and changed from 72 hours to 3 days? When I was corresponding with Tradewind a few weeks ago they mentioned to me that it would be OK if it were more than 72 hours as long as it was still 3 days prior. I was a little too cautious to do that since I knew the rule was 72 hours. Now I see it on their website and I thought I looked a few weeks back and it stated 72 hours

https://www.flytradewind.com/about-tradewind/covid-19-travel-updates/

ST BARTHS

> Visit our St Barths COVID Travel page for all information regarding entry requirements to St Barths.
In order to maintain a safe environment, the government of St Barths has implemented the following entry restrictions:
All inbound visitors are required to present a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 3 days prior to arrival in St Barths. Children age 10 or younger are exempt from this requirement. Passengers will be asked to show their test document at Tradewind check-in. Those who cannot produce this document you will be refused boarding. Please note that the only test currently accepted by St Barths is a rt-PCR test obtained from a nasopharyngeal swab. Antigen, antibody, or rt-PCR tests obtained from saliva do not fulfill this entry requirement, and will be denied boarding.
At check-in you will be asked to show your negative COVID-19 PCR test results taken within 3 days prior to arrival. This information will be transferred to the St Barths authorities before takeoff.
Please note that if St Barths is not your final destination, you must comply with travel restrictions and protocols in place at your final destination.

what tradewind airlines is saying is : most of the time there is not a time stamp on the sample that is taken , only a date the sample is taken, that is why they are using the 3 day rule. an example, you get a nasal swab test on tuesday at anytime, the specimen is marked only with the date the specimen was taken, not the time. then your flight with tradewind airlines could be at 4:30 out of sju on friday, you are technically within the 72 hour rule.

they don't test you in your villa. you have to go to the test centre, even if you're quarantined. (biopole lab near the hotel de la collectivite) - unless this has changed, but this was the situation in the summer when we were there.

folks, take 3,000 IU of Vitamin d every day to improve your immunity (and ideally vitamin C & Zinc too). studies show it minimises your chance of infection. And if you do get covid, take a higher dose of vitamin D (treble it). And wear a mask at all times when in public places except when eating.

what tradewind airlines is saying is : most of the time there is not a time stamp on the sample that is taken , only a date the sample is taken, that is why they are using the 3 day rule.

FYI...Covid Consultants sent this example to me so I could see what the document actually says. Even though they technically don't know the exact time you swab your own nose, they do list a time that the sample was taken.

CovidConsultants.jpeg

There is a time stamp when the lab receives the specimen, no time stamp when you do the procedure, just a date.