Scuba St. Croix

Jim Kelly-Evans

Senior Insider
We're sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale this week visiting San Juan, St. Croix and Antigua. In St. Croix I had the opportunity to test my two new knees (and the rest of my now 75 year old crumbling body) during a two tank dive. All went well and I was able to climb up the dive boat ladder with all of my gear on including tank and BC with 14 lbs. of lead in it. So there is life after knee replacement surgery! I found the diving in St. Croix to be not as nice as in SBH or some other locales. Our fist dive was on a triplet of wrecks deliberately sunk to provide artificial reefs. That was an interesting dive. The second dive was on an established shallow reef. While the corals looked reasonable healthy there was not an abundance of fish life present on either dive, such as I'm used to seeing in the marine preserve around SBH. I took the photos below during the two dives on St. Croix. They are not my best work and are below my usual standards (I was a little rusty and camera settings were not correct,) but I hope they are indicative of conditions encountered underwater on St. Croix.
P1250714.JPGP1250715.JPGP1250717.JPGP1250719.JPGP1250728.JPGP1250729.JPGP1250732.JPGP1250733.JPGP1250734.JPG

Congratulations, Jim, on getting back in the water -- sounds like your surgeries were a happy success. As always, your photos are fun to see . . . even if marine life is less than you're accustomed to finding. Here's hoping that you'll find more as the trip progresses.