Dover Sole in NYC

cec1

Senior Insider
Very nice! “Lunching” at one of my most favorite Manhattan restaurants — Michael’s. Wendy & I were living in Santa Monica, CA, in the early 80s when Michael opened his first restaurant there. It had a lovely, lush garden of simple, elegant lighting that was an evening delight, summer & winter! In subsequent years in New York, I was an avid follower . . . as I continue to be, though only occasionally able to visit since de-camping to CA in 2003, and now in FL.

Here’s to my SBH pals who savor Dover Sole with frites, as I do (the sole, BTW, was from Spain & prepared with chanterelle mushrooms, capers, tardivo radicchio, green radish, and — for me — a lemon sauce (because, being DF, I didn’t want the meuniere sauce). Wine was a lovely Chablis.
IMG_8371.jpeg

IMG_8368.jpeg

Cheers!

Dennis, By any chance do you remember the name of establishment there before Michael’s?

Dennis, By any chance do you remember the name of establishment there before Michael’s?
Very good question, Amy . . . only a New Yorker might ask! Quite interestingly, as I understand, from opening of the building (“Rockefeller Apartments”) in 1936 to its conversion to Michael’s in 1989, the space was called “Italian Pavilion.”

Very good question, Amy . . . only a New Yorker might ask! Quite interestingly, as I understand, from opening of the building (“Rockefeller Apartments”) in 1936 to its conversion to Michael’s in 1989, the space was called “Italian Pavilion.”
That was not the one I was thinking of, Dennis. I went to a Dad and daughter dinner in the 50s with my Dad and some of his colleagues while my Mom visited with an old girlfriend of hers who had come to town.MEMORY #1, I ordered my first shrimp cocktail thinking that I had ordered a grown up drink! It was a fun night. I later learned that the restaurant had been sold and renamed Michaels. Now, all I can think of is THE BRASS RAIL. Memory #2, it was the first time I had tasted steamed lobster.

This isn't far from my office so I've walked by the address many times. Had no idea about the restaurant.

Because of Amy's question, I did a quick look in the NYC database from the historic tax photos that were taken to see if I could find out what used to be there before. For those who don't know, NYC had every building photographed around 1940 for tax purposes.

The building that occupied the site from 1939-1941 is this:

Screenshot 25 West 55.png

Mr. Leo Elwyn sold antiques and jewelry from a building that could be on a street in some old city in Europe. Fascinating stuff. Almost reminds me of the old movie The Shop Around the Corner.

Oops. Wrong side of the street. This is the building. Unfortunately can't see what is on the ground floor as the picture was taken from far away.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-20-55 LUNA - Workspace.png

Last edited:
I'm looking like I've become obsessed about this but here's the picture of the building on the other side and while you get the ground floor of the Rockefeller Apartments, the angle doesn't show the entrance. I've run out of leads on my historical sleuthing.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-32-48 22 West 55 Street - DOF Manhattan 1940s Tax Photos.png

Thanks Mike. I truly might be confusing two separate nights on the town when I was but a teenager.

This isn't far from my office so I've walked by the address many times. Had no idea about the restaurant.

Because of Amy's question, I did a quick look in the NYC database from the historic tax photos that were taken to see if I could find out what used to be there before. For those who don't know, NYC had every building photographed around 1940 for tax purposes.

The building that occupied the site from 1939-1941 is this:

View attachment 68601

Mr. Leo Elwyn sold antiques and jewelry from a building that could be on a street in some old city in Europe. Fascinating stuff. Almost reminds me of the old movie The Shop Around the Corner.

Oops. Wrong side of the street. This is the building. Unfortunately can't see what is on the ground floor as the picture was taken from far away.

View attachment 68602
Yes . . . bldg on left, with bow front windows.

Great recommendation CEC1! Sorry this New Yorker is no help with the history amyb.
No problem, MDC. A fun digression today.

I sure like that old car in the last photo, Mike. White wheels and all.