Trip Report Dec8+

MDC

SBH Member
Arrived SBH 12/8 JFK/SJU -Tradewind/SBH - Delta changed flight times 2x -Tradewind amazing -accommodated changes 2pm then 4pm then back to 2pm. You pay for the service but well worth it for us. Reminder- sign up for loyalty with Tradewind. We have benefited from free flights by accumulating points!

Staying in St Jean - on the beach. Very windy last few days - no mosquitoes!!

Dinner at L’Espirit - never disappoints. Plat du jour at home from Chef XO (Mahi) and Le Bananniers (veau blanquette ).

To quote Amy……ahhhh- St Barts 😎❤️

We are on Delta in January...you never know but you are so lucky to be able to make it in one day! We wish you the best trip and L'Esprit is my favorite restaurant on the Island..you just convinced me to book Les Bananiers...I'd go far and wide for veal blanquette! Thank you for the info on the mosquitos as well. Bon voyage!

We are on Delta in January...you never know but you are so lucky to be able to make it in one day! We wish you the best trip and L'Esprit is my favorite restaurant on the Island..you just convinced me to book Les Bananiers...I'd go far and wide for veal blanquette! Thank you for the info on the mosquitos as well. Bon voyage!
Visited Les Bananiers for the first time in years last May…OMG!

Something nice about Les Bananiers..we had an evening reservation at La Langouste, which after driving around for 45 minutes in the dark, we never found, so we gave up and headed back toward our side of the island, and came upon Les Bananiers. It was December, this week, in fact, a year ago, and it was super crowded. We had no reservation and took a chance to ask if they could accommodate us. They were so kind and found us a little table, and we had wonderful pizza and I think Davesdad had a pasta dish. So many families were having fun, and the atmosphere was so warm and welcoming. It was late and we ordered quickly, so I did not really get to peruse the menu, but we still appreciate their kindness in taking in 2 lost travelers. Vive Les Bananiers! (Veal blanquette next time!)

Reactions: etx
Espirit is always fabulous. Don’t give up on la la langouste. Always great and worth the trip. Wish I could share video of my grandkids picking our lobster

Espirit is always fabulous. Don’t give up on la la langouste. Always great and worth the trip. Wish I could share video of my grandkids picking our lobster
I think we should try this during the day, at least a dry run of the route😂..google maps was useless. Being a lobster fanatic, I was so disappointed but we felt totally stupid, driving the entire side of the island🙄back and forth a few times from Cheval Blanc to some dead end in the pitch dark, even stopping by a little local restaurant to ask (Créole type, I think) but it was not clear as to where we should turn.

There is a directional sign where you turn for Baie des Anges, which is the hotel where La Langouste is located, but it is easy to miss, especially in the dark. They really should have some better signage, as people have gotten lost trying to find it as long as I can remember! It is worth the trip, and much easier to find in the daytime.

There is a directional sign where you turn for Baie des Anges, which is the hotel where La Langouste is located, but it is easy to miss, especially in the dark. They really should have some better signage, as people have gotten lost trying to find it as long as I can remember! It is worth the trip, and much easier to find in the daytime.
So right, Tiff. A red hydrant at the road to Langouste turning point is another landmark.

This is now my go to Dover Sole locale.

Years ago, we were trying to find La Langoustine (and we had been there before) but on this particular trip, memory failed and we had a hard time finding it. We walked up the porch steps to a brightly lit house thinking we had finally found it, but no, it was a person's actual house. Luckily no one was in view and we quickly turned heel and departed, utterly mortified. But we did find La Langoustine eventually that night and had a giggle.

Years ago, we were trying to find La Langoustine (and we had been there before) but on this particular trip, memory failed and we had a hard time finding it. We walked up the porch steps to a brightly lit house thinking we had finally found it, but no, it was a person's actual house. Luckily no one was in view and we quickly turned heel and departed, utterly mortified. But we did find La Langoustine eventually that night and had a giggle.
When we stopped at the little local roadside restaurant to ask directions that night, I couldn't find anyone to ask in French or English, so I moseyed toward/into the kitchen to see if anyone was working..and that was pretty embarrassing when we encountered the person. A guest was eating in the "yard"..had no idea what I was talking about:rolleyes:🤪

When we stopped at the little local roadside restaurant to ask directions that night, I couldn't find anyone to ask in French or English, so I moseyed toward/into the kitchen to see if anyone was working..and that was pretty embarrassing when we encountered the person. A guest was eating in the "yard"..had no idea what I was talking about:rolleyes:🤪
Do you mean Chez Rolande? I'm surprised that she couldn't help, she does speak French and pretty good English, too. Or, no one was in the kitchen?

The signage for Hotel Bay des Anges and La Langouste could definitely be better. I generally suggest that first-time visitors check it out in the daytime before visiting for dinner.

There is only one crossroad in Flamands. Coming from Cheval Blanc, the “death road“, the very steep and twisty road that comes down from Colombier, comes into the crossroad from the left. It has a European Do Not Enter sign, a Red Circle with a White Horizontal Bar, and may say Sauf Riverains (except residents) below that. The narrow road to the right is the road to Hotel Bay des Anges and La Langouste, and there is a small sign there. It looks like you are entering a residential neighborhood because you are. At what looks like the end, the road takes a 90-degree turn to the right. The hotel and restaurant are about 100 yards down, and just before you get to the hotel there’s an unpaved parking area to the right.

I will add to drive slowly. Th roads are narrow, and the last right to the hotel is tricky as someone could be exiting he hotel.

Also be mindful of a two inch bump, lip, step, in the path. A sprained ankle or worse can kill a vacation.

In two words..be careful. I like the food and the people. Very popular with locals.

Do you mean Chez Rolande? I'm surprised that she couldn't help, she does speak French and pretty good English, too. Or, no one was in the kitchen?
I think that is correct..it was dark out and I walked into the restaurant and did not see anyone, so I kind of walked a little more and the lady came out and maybe they were almost closed for the night. She kind of pointed in a direction but we had done what she said and it did not work out. I see Kevin's explanation and for sure I now understand why we could not find it..it was impossible to see. Doing it the daytime would be my next "try"! Thanks, Kevin! I will print this out.