Tip Solicitation List

Hi Jim- the total bill already includes the service. You will not see an additional charge added.
Thanks. Clear and concise!!! So service, food, tip and everything included in the price on menu!!!

Then my call on going above and beyond...or not:blush-smile:

Hi Jim and welcome. We're dealing with different tipping cultures. SBH is France. Geographically and culturally. In France, there isn't a tipping culture. You get your bill and you pay it. That's all that is expected. No supplemental tip for the server is expected. Due to the preponderance of Americans that visit who leave a tip, the tipping habits on SBH are muddled. Some do, some don't. Some staff solicit tips, some don't. Some are offended by the solicitation some aren't. Some believe this happens some don't. That's its in a nutshell.
LOL...yup,I got that part thru all the bickering in this thread!!! just kidding...

Was focusing more on the service charge that was included that I kept reading about in this thread. Now I finally understand that it is included in the price of the entree' or wine, etc as listed on the menu. I thought it might have been a bottom line adjustment called service charge or something like that. But now I think I understand better. Thanks

We had tip solicitations at both Eddy's and Santa Fe earlier this month. I was prepared to leave a tip on the table, but as is my usual reaction to this practice, I put my Euro notes back in my wallet and departed. As these are two of my favorite St. Barth restos, I was disappointed to see this.

Update to my previous post from our January trip. In the past few days we've enjoyed terrific meals at both Eddy's and Santa Fe. In neither instance were tips ever mentioned in the transactions. The servers were enriched accordingly.

Tim . . . I recently wrote about this development. The "Tips" line has appeared on the bills given to me at a number of restaurants. What is interesting to me about this fact is that all of the bills were identical in formatting and type . . . only the restaurant name & ordered items changed. It leads me to believe that some software vendor has sold its canned product to these restaurants . . . probably offering some sort of inventory control, as well. I didn't find the "Tips" line to be terribly objectionable, however . . . in principal part because it appears -- in the instances that I saw -- at the bottom of the bill (i.e., not as a line before calculation of a total amount, as we see on restaurant bills in the US).

I did - good food and service

"Leave a tip don't leave a tip. Say no or yes to the tip added to the charge card. The Americans are the ones who went against French tradition and left 10, 15 and 20 percent tips so reap what we sow."

L'Isoletta today for lunch. The bottom of the slip had a line for Tips as well as a message in English saying that "Tips are not included." We gave our "tip" in cash and drew a line through the tip line on the receipt.

L'Isoletta today for lunch. The bottom of the slip had a line for Tips as well as a message in English saying that "Tips are not included." We gave our "tip" in cash and drew a line through the tip line on the receipt.

I would defer to our french forum friends, but my guess is that "tips are not included" is in violation of the law. I, for one, will offer a cutting riposte if confronted with this or its like later this month. My usual 5% pourboire en espèce will be forfeit, and a "tip" of 0.01 € will appear on the slip.